Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

4 minutes ago, Sparktimus said:

Well, either way, Blackroom is a completely separate entity from this new episode, so assuming that it's a warm up for a game that may or may not even happen is a bit of a stretch.

It's not related to doom, but it is related to Romero. Making a presence in the games media now with sigil to later kickstart whatever he has on the stove with a bit of tailwind seems like a good move to make. Fact is that blackroom is solid evidence that Romero is looking to get something out there eventually.

Oh boy I'm sad for anyone, who planned their wad releases for this year. 1 spot for Romero in the Cacowards guaranteed, unless they make it a special award

(since the guy technically made the game).

EDIT: Actually it's released next year, so people have time to play other wads after his, so it might not be as bad of a timing.

Edited by pulkmees

Holy fuck, an entirely new episode for Doom and from what I've seen in the trailer, it looks like it's somewhat made in the same style as episode 4. I'm hyped for this.

Also, how cool it is to get new and original content from one of the original creators of Doom, I don't see any reason not to look forward for this!

Edited by Uni

for what it's worth, Romero seems like he really cares about the community. he did release a bunch of Doom assets, as well as WIP stuff, from the creation of Doom a few years back, right? that was an incredible amount of content that, for all we know, could've been lost forever and wouldn't have any idea it existed at all. that stuff is a lot of historical content that now could be properly archived thanks to him (unless my memory is failing me on this).

i'm definitely intrigued by this, and the merch is pretty cool as well.

15 hours ago, Job said:

Romero is the only one from the original team who still gives a shit about the game after two and a half decades. He is also sorta-kinda active in our community. That makes him alright in my book. White knighting for Carmack et al will never get senpai to notice you. 

I'm not arguing Romero's dedication to the game or the fanbase though? Dude's hella awesome to this community and to its fanbase, has released tons of extra goodies and insights for us into the game, and while I've never met or talked with the man (tried to a few times with no success though), I'd hardly call him a hack or anything like that, or claim he did "nothing" for Doom (the fact I like the techbase style is because his maps were that good, and of course he did plenty of the coding that Carmack didn't do - so it's not like he did "nothing"). Arguably when it comes to Doom as a whole, he's the king.

You're conflating "who's been great to the community" with "who was the person who would've hurt most had they not been involved in making the game." That's two different things.

I also wouldn't disagree that Romero is the one who primarily made the game fun - it was his tastes in music that shaped the soundtrack (and Doom II suffered greatly in entertainment value for me due to the total abandonment of that), his drive for fast action that made the game frantic and adrenaline-pumping, and his general nature as a shit-talker that gave id its "bad boy" reputation that it enjoyed through the rest of the 90s; Carmack never cared about that sort of stuff and was generally more than content to let Romero be the face of id. Of course, it also led to stuff like the "Suck it down" ad, but I digress, not to mention that was after he left id.

But at the same time, it's hard to imagine that Doom would've been as successful without Carmack there. Who on the team would've had that same sort of drive to experiment, tinker, and push hardware to its absolute limits? As much credit as Romero deserves for making the game fun, I do believe Carmack is the one who deserves credit for an engine that allowed them to make that fun game in the first place - and I'm not sure if Romero could've come up with such an engine on his own.

The same argument could've been made for Romero being key (because you can certainly have the best engine in the world but make a lousy game with it), but in the end, a game is only as good as its engine allows it to be, and at that time, game engines were an EXTREMELY tight secret. The fact id open-sourced theirs after years was revolutionary, and it's led to lots of great things that still reverberate to this day.

So while I love Romero's drive for this game and this fanbase (and hell, time to go find out about that Sigil deal), I think even he would agree that Doom just wouldn't have been Doom without Carmack's dedication to the technical impressiveness that was the creamy interior to Romero's crisp style aesthetic exterior. But on the flip side of the same coin, it wouldn't have been Doom without Romero, or the other Carmack, or the other talented guys who made it happen either.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

strawman.exe

Nobody asked for a custom palette or slaughtermaps.

Nice, danger averted.

21 hours ago, Marn said:

Romero would've had to playtest these maps over and over again while he was developing them. There's no way he's not playing slowly on purpose.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, in the modern era of big studios there have been interviews with mappers working for big companies that use Unreal engine who have said they never test a level 100% start to finish, just bits at a time. One mentioned his manager told him he's not paid to play test since making maps is so time consuming and map makers do a poor job of self critiquing.

The play testers would have to test the maps 100% start to finish hundreds of times to the point they'd miss obvious things like bugs, because they'd take the optimal routes since they're so good. One mapper said his company forced him to throw "cookies" into maps to test how thorough play testers were so they'd look out for things even on their 100th play through.

Edited by geo

No one is arguing the order of importance of people who worked on Doom.

Without John Carmack Doom couldn't exist. Without John Romero it wouldn't have been Doom. Without Adrian and the rest of ID it would not be the Doom we love. That's really about all it comes down to.

If John Carmack said, "I'm making a new Doom related project," everyone would be just as excited just to have another new piece of Doom from the original ID guys.

13 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

It seems what he meant is he played this on GZDoom, but the map format is probably limit-removing or whatever. To be honest, if the map can only be played on GZDoom, I would just be disappointed.

It seems the environment is pretty enough, so I really hope it's not GZDoom only. However, I don't understand why he chose Doom 1 instead of 2 because there are so many other things you can do on 2... Or probably this shouldn't be mentioned. Otherwise, the eternal debate about these things will occur.

Hey, look at the bright side of this exchange: NO FUCKING ARCH-VILES.

Glad to see Romero still care about this old game and its old fans (who by now are starting to get gray and wrinkly). I'll be looking forward to playing it.

Might even buy one of the boxed editions if any are still up when I get paid again in a week and a half. Kind of bad timing due to Christmas + problems in my life that put me in pretty bad debt.

20 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

No one is arguing the order of importance of people who worked on Doom.

Without John Carmack Doom couldn't exist. Without John Romero it wouldn't have been Doom. Without Adrian and the rest of ID it would not be the Doom we love. That's really about all it comes down to.

If John Carmack said, "I'm making a new Doom related project," everyone would be just as excited just to have another new piece of Doom from the original ID guys.

This sums it up pretty nicely. Have a Like from me, both for your post and for having Gunstar Heroes.

f the maps are E5Mx, then it'll require some sort of MAPINFO support to work out of the box, but that should still allow to play the set on Odamex, Eternity, Doomsday, Vavoom, etc. in addition to GZDoom. For PrBoom+, it'll require a bit more work as you'd need to rename the map slots.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

It's obvious this is a warm-up for his new game which is why I want him to try harder. 

I thought the warm-up was the map he released a year or so ago. This just seems like treading water to me. I also don't think he is capable of more than what you're seeing. I highly doubt there will every be a "Blackroom" game.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Why Romero didn't call it SIGILTANA?

Because the word "..tana" would bring bad luck.

36 minutes ago, Gez said:

f the maps are E5Mx, then it'll require some sort of MAPINFO support to work out of the box, but that should still allow to play the set on Odamex, Eternity, Doomsday, Vavoom, etc. in addition to GZDoom. For PrBoom+, it'll require a bit more work as you'd need to rename the map slots.

I would assume they are spiritually and spoken E5MX, but we will probably see them as E1MX. Just a hunch.

Also noticed in the gameplay twitch reveal was running in doomsday, which may provide a bit more insight as to episode numerical nomenclature.

2 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

for what it's worth, Romero seems like he really cares about the community. he did release a bunch of Doom assets, as well as WIP stuff, from the creation of Doom a few years back, right? that was an incredible amount of content that, for all we know, could've been lost forever and wouldn't have any idea it existed at all. that stuff is a lot of historical content that now could be properly archived thanks to him (unless my memory is failing me on this).

Question about cut content: Do we have everything in terms of WIP/ Doom Assets that weren't used for both Doom 1 and 2?

17 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

Also noticed in the gameplay twitch reveal was running in doomsday, which may provide a bit more insight as to episode numerical nomenclature.

?

All footage I've seen so far has been recorded in GZDoom, which he has advocated as his port of choice. Where have you seen this Doomsday footage?

9 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

?

All footage I've seen so far has been recorded in GZDoom, which he has advocated as his port of choice. Where have you seen this Doomsday footage?

Oh shit, you might be right. For some reason was thinking it was doomsday, I stand corrected!

There's obviously something special about an episode made by the original creator 25 years later but that curiosity is where it ends for me. People who apparently think we should all bow down before Romero just because he made a couple of maps are silly. It doesn't matter who made them, if they're good then they're good, if they're weak then they're weak - they don't get extra points for being made by the original author in my book. But who am I to say that? The highly questionable E1M8b won a physical Cacoward just because Romero made it. I'm sure another one is already being 3d-printed for Sigil.

SIGIL is a limited edition, collectible Beast Box and standard big box. Get it before it’s gone!

it's limited edition anyways (prob 500 or so?). the game itself is free  looks like there's no limit, lol.

Edited by ImpieEyez95 : was wrong bout pre orders

it says there is no purchase limit and pre-orders are open in two weeks, so i got the impression that they'll manufacture as many orders as they get.

1 minute ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

it says there is no purchase limit and pre-orders are open in two weeks, so i got the impression that they'll manufacture as many orders as they get.

That's correct. Romero said on his Twitch stream that there's no limited amount, only the two week time limit.

6 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Except nobody has a problem with others having fun. It seems you guys have a much larger issue with people who don't join in for the circlejerking because their taste is different from yours, or they simply have some reservations of their own.

Except most people don't go into Time of Death (or whoever) map threads and say "oh lame it's just a contest to see how many Cyberdemons you can two-shot in an oddly shaped room" (or at least they don't do it until it's featured in DWMC or similar).  That's the difference.  No one says you have to be interested in this, but shitting on something that's explicitly pitched as a follow-up to E4 for being similarly difficult to E4 is shitting on it for the sake of shitting on it.

what confuses me is that the standard edition is an "open pre-order" but pre-orders close the 24th, and the beast box is "limited to a 2 week pre-order" and closes the same day as the standard one. what even is an open pre-order, anyway?

1 minute ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

"limited to a 2 week pre-order"

I thought it was limited to 2 per person.

12 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

no, that doesn't seem to be the case. i could add 8 or so of the beast box into the cart and it still accepted that.

You're right. Either the text was changed since yesterday or my brain had a hiccup.

I don't remember the “*Customers in Germany, please be aware that you will be charged customs fees on top of shipping charges and we will refund you those as your item will be shipped from Ireland.*” paragraph as well.

15 minutes ago, Manuel-K said:

You're right. Either the text was changed since yesterday or my brain had a hiccup.

I don't remember the “*Customers in Germany, please be aware that you will be charged customs fees on top of shipping charges and we will refund you those as your item will be shipped from Ireland.*” paragraph as well.

The text must have changed, i saw it too.

I do not understand why there should be any customs fee, if the items are sent from Ireland, it's the european union.

I have ordered both editions, for these will definitely become collectors stuff.

Edit: On the Sigil website it still states that the beast box is limited to two boxes per customers, but not on the actual order website.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

If the maps are E5Mx, then it'll require some sort of MAPINFO support to work out of the box, but that should still allow to play the set on Odamex, Eternity, Doomsday, Vavoom, etc. in addition to GZDoom. For PrBoom+, it'll require a bit more work as you'd need to rename the map slots.

Someone said he used dehacked for map names, i think it will run on Crispy or even RUDE if you don't mind the graphic problems. :)

Exciting news BTW.