Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

i'm very excited for the soundtrack disk i will probably never get.

There will be only one track made for miniwad. Rest will be random picked. Also soundtrack will fly through internet with wad. People like to share things.

29 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Fun fact: Romero will make money with Doom's help again - after 25 years.

He always does, it's his natural talent.

There's an interview now at the Sigil page.

The free version of the SIGIL wad contains several wads that deliver the levels. In the SIGIL fan boxes, we also include Buckethead’s amazing music. To make it work, you basically drag the SIGIL.WAD file onto gzdoom.exe (or gzdoom.app on a Mac). Sigil’s numbering scheme is E5Mx where “x” is the level number 1-9. Episode Five, just after Episode Four: Thy Flesh Consumed. To play SIGIL, you must have the registered DOOM.WAD as well.

33 minutes ago, drfrag said:

There's an interview now at the Sigil page.

Not vanilla compatible? That sucks!

Well, at least i know what i'm going to do in Febuary ;)

Why are so many people upset over compatibility? Vanilla is outdated, has been for literally many, many years. Ever since the first limit removing port. How hard is it to download a limit removing port and play it?

Obviously MAPINFO will be required. Adding native support to Crispy (and RUDE) is doable but i deduce he's using the Wad in Wad (TM) technique.

E1M8b was awesome. IMO, it deserves all the praise it has. Of course nostalgia counts as a big factor, but it's part of experience. E1M4b, however, I didn't find as good tbh.

1 hour ago, drfrag said:

Sigil’s numbering scheme is E5Mx where “x” is the level number 1-9. Episode Five, just after Episode Four: Thy Flesh Consumed.

RIP PrBoom+ demos

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

If you watched the stream, he said he will test in Crispy Doom and PrBoom+, so he will likely fix the numbering scheme then.

The maps themselves are in limit removing format, so demo compatibility won't go anywhere.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Well, there's still ZDoom 2.8.1 if you really want to record stuff.

eh I just like playing in PRBoom. It isn't a matter of recording.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

If you watched the stream, he said he will test in Crispy Doom and PrBoom+, so he will likely fix the numbering scheme then.

What you assume is irrelevant, and testing something in "source port X" does not guarantee that it will be made compatible in case it doesn't run.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

The maps themselves are in limit removing format, so demo compatibility won't go anywhere

I am well aware of that, but the numbering scheme as it stands still is kicking some popular source ports in the crotch, regardless of what you think may happen. Also demo compat is primarily a source port issue (except for GZ-exclusive maps because one update to the port breaks demo compat).

On 12/11/2018 at 12:29 PM, Touchdown said:

There's obviously something special about an episode made by the original creator 25 years later but that curiosity is where it ends for me. People who apparently think we should all bow down before Romero just because he made a couple of maps are silly. It doesn't matter who made them, if they're good then they're good, if they're weak then they're weak - they don't get extra points for being made by the original author in my book. But who am I to say that? The highly questionable E1M8b won a physical Cacoward just because Romero made it. I'm sure another one is already being 3d-printed for Sigil.

Bow down? Extra points?

How about having some respect for the guys involved in making the thing that we've been enjoying, for free, for a quarter-century? How about some respect for the guys that made such a cool thing that people wanted to spawn a massively successful forum dedicated to said thing?

What's wrong with having some appreciation for one of the guys that "made it"? No, let's make sure he doesn't get any extra cookies - that's what's most important here.

This attitude is what makes people apprehensive of releasing new content. Good job.

9 minutes ago, kb1 said:

How about having some respect for the guys involved in making the thing that we've been enjoying, for free, for a quarter-century?

How about not using a pirated version of Doom and actually stumping up the cash these people rightfully asked for their work instead?

If anybody made anything for Doom for free in the first place it's this community, the iWADs were never for free.

How about respecting these people while still being allowed to be critical about their work? Does that simple concept fit into your small bubble?

15 minutes ago, kb1 said:

What's wrong with having some appreciation for one of the guys that "made it"? No, let's make sure he doesn't get any extra cookies - that's what's most important here.

Not being hyped doesn't mean there is no appreciation at all. Learn to let people like or dislike what they want you belligerent inquisitor.

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

(Sorry for the double-post, can't edit my post to reply to this quote - having a non-WYSIWYG mode so I know what the BBCode would be in order to do so would help greatly!)

Of course. I've never knocked Romero for doing Doom. Ever. As was said elsewhere (and I agree), if John Carmack made Doom possible, Romero made Doom's presentation and attitude, and the other id guys (along with him and John Carmack) made that a reality. Only a fool would dare to say Romero's place in defining a genre (and PC gaming as we know it) is undeserved.

It's just unfortunate that his post-id work has never met that same level of success. Daikatana was ambitious but flawed, and since then he's never really had the chance to work on a "big" project like that again, instead finding modest successes helping out on other games and the occasional small title that became a success (Hyperspace Delivery Boy comes to mind, and in a way presages a lot of popular mobile games of today, but that too was a game a good 10-15 years ahead of its time - which really limited its audience).

So unfortunately for him, it somewhat forces him to rely on his accomplishments of decades past. Granted, those accomplishments still carry a huge amount of weight, but I personally hope the guy can get back some of his reputation and be appreciated for his contributions to the game industry BESIDES Keen/Wolf/Doom/Quake, not his flaws from 20 years ago.

I appreciate this and the last post - they are worded well, and they ring true.
The fact of the matter is: Most games fail. Wolf, Doom, and Quake were successful, in large part, because no one had ever seen anything like them. And everything since just expands on the concepts these guys pioneered.

I don't fault John for DK. It was too ambitious, there was too much hype, and no more balanced dream team. I think the results were unavoidable, despite best efforts.

By the way, guise, if you want to enjoy the new music make sure you at least buy the standard big box. I learned today (or rather actually managed to correctly read and hear in Romero's stream) that the music DOES NOT come with the free version of the WAD. I'm not sure if the music portion will be released digitally or not later on.

Remember this isn't just about Romero. Buckethead deserves compensation and applause for his amazing guitar work.

22 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

How about not using a pirated version of Doom and actually stumping up the cash these people rightfully asked for their work instead?

Quick question - Does Romero still make profit off of Doom sales on Steam? Not knocking you or anything, just curious.

8 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Quick question - Does Romero still make profit off of Doom sales on Steam? Not knocking you or anything, just curious.

Can't say for sure, but seeing how there were some ruffled feathers going around, which also involved Romero and his work on Doom, there's a good chance he isn't seeing any cuts of the money at all, which is pretty sad. I'd hope he does see some money, but it seems very unlikely to me. Big publishers are quick to get rid of "loose ends" when they can, and evidently Romero was such a loose end at some point.

2 hours ago, kb1 said:

Bow down? Extra points?

How about having some respect for the guys involved in making the thing that we've been enjoying, for free, for a quarter-century? How about some respect for the guys that made such a cool thing that people wanted to spawn a massively successful forum dedicated to said thing?

This attitude is what makes people apprehensive of releasing new content. Good job.

Seeing the amount of salt and envy in this thread is depressing. People are literally hating this thing just because it gets more exposure than their favourite funky colored 1000 revenant wads.

15 minutes ago, Nancsi said:

their favourite funky colored 1000 revenant wads.

You know the snark in this comment *also* comes across as someone hating on other people because their work is successful and popular, right?

I wish 95% of this thread wasn't a god damn flamewar and instead had a coherent discussion about SIGIL.

Ordered the standard set. Really looking forward to this release. Would have loved to get the beast edition, but way too rich for my blood. Shame though, would have really liked to have a statue of Romero's head on a spike.

I think both sides here are seeing arguments not really being made. Some people aren't excited, that doesn't mean they wish Romero or this project ill. Some people are excited, that doesn't make them slobbering zombie fans.

The physical toys are cool for his fans. The new episode is a fun free gift for everyone. The people who don't care one way or another don't have to.

All that said, I've lurked Doomworld off and on for years to see what cool content was being produced. You've helped keep this game alive, kicking and fresh for 25 years. Romero offering up this little piece of personal nostalgia doesn't devalue any of what you badasses have accomplished. If anything, I think it honors it.

Just now, Gunstar Green said:

I think both sides here are seeing arguments not really being made. Some people aren't excited, that doesn't mean they wish Romero or this project ill. Some people are excited, that doesn't make them slobbering zombie fans.

The physical toys are cool for his fans. The new episode is a fun free gift for everyone. The people who don't care one way or another don't have to.

All that said, I've lurked Doomworld off and on for years to see what cool content was being produced. You've helped kept this game alive, kicking and fresh for 25 years. Romero offering up this little piece of personal nostalgia doesn't devalue any of what you badasses have accomplished. If anything, I think it honors it.

/Thread

11 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

You know the snark in this comment *also* comes across as someone hating on other people because their work is successful and popular, right?

I don't hate anyone for their wads. In fact the best thing in the community is to see a large variety of creative work even in 2018. Some of them are not my taste of course, but I'm glad they exist. I wish the Duke Nukem 3D mapping scene was as big as Doom's. In fact I like some of the funky colored wads with new art, YukiRaven's work in general for example, or also some of skillsaw.

However there is an ongoing narrative in this thread by some people who actually hate this for being a news, just because it's Romero, and they usually naysay it won't be as good as userlevels, mostly due to the lack of difficulty, lack of new art etc. They literally hate this for not being another Ancient Aliens for example. And how DARES it to be famous. It's sickening.