Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

28 minutes ago, drfrag said:

But we don't know what Romero will do yet.

Famous last words... :D

Well, let's see what will happen next then.

21 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Still in this thing?

Linguica made the whole point very clear. There's no need to discuss more...

And, being discussed about compatibility to specific sourceports doesn't matter to me. I just want to play and enjoy it...it's not hard really...

Just saw this, and: no I didn't? People can and should ask how they will be able to make demos for these maps.

John has been streaming this wad lately, perhaps he's unaware of the demo/compatibility issues because of the e5m* naming scheme, i'm sure he could be told about that. Either way there's plenty of time for release and some changes are still possible, it's also great to hear that some sourceports could support that name scheme in the future

Could he name it something like E4M10 onwards? (and then use MAPINFO to join the maps into a new episode?)

Would that work on PrBoom?

Perhaps someone should contact Romero and suggest him to either use UMAPINFO or change the map numbering scheme.

AFAIK it's working but there's no entry at the ZDoom wiki.

5 hours ago, drfrag said:

But there's already UMAPINFO support in Graf's cleaned up PrBoom+ repo. It's in GZDoom and about Eternity i'm not sure.

Fabian could add support to Crispy if necessary or myself to RUDE (with tutti frutti galore).

But we don't know what Romero will do yet.

The existing UMAPINFO implementation is written in C++. Prboom+ and Crispy Doom are C projects, so adopting UMAPINFO means changing the implementation language of the project.

I have considered rewriting Graf's prboom+ UMAPINFO port into pure C but haven't (nor realistically the time)

According to the comment "the new UMAPINFO parser is written in C++" but it looks like C to me.

Cacos are the only D1 enemies where the lack of SSG hurts. That thing was created for the D2 specific badguys IMHO.

tbh, i could never understood that SSG obsession. it is good when you run into group of monsters at point blank range, but 'cmon -- "i'll just close my eyes and run forward" is not how DooM meant to be played, i believe. ;-) otherwise, good old shotgun does its job Just Right. SSG was the only weapon i HATED in DooM II too: it always popped up when i wanted my shotgun, and it was like "fsck, not that shit again!"

51 minutes ago, Nancsi said:

Cacos and Barons are the only D1 enemies where the lack of SSG hurts. That thing was created for the D2 specific badguys IMHO.

FTFY

44 minutes ago, ketmar said:

SSG was the only weapon i HATED in DooM II

Heresy.

44 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Heresy

sure. after all, i am die-hard DooM I fan. i don't like DooM II levels, i don't like new DooM II monsters, i don't like DooM II at all!

p.s.: and DooM II final boss sux.

47 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

FTFY

Barons are meant to be destroyed by weapon 5-6-7.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:47 PM, bioshockfan90 said:

Quick question - Does Romero still make profit off of Doom sales on Steam? Not knocking you or anything, just curious.

This is from a few pages ago, but since it still gets asked every now and then: Definitely not. Money off new Doom purchases goes to the current IP holder, in this case Bethesda/Zenimax, and of course any storefront (Steam, GOG, etc.) taking a cut of the profits.

I gotta say, this screenshot looks very impressive. It seems Romero is more into the bizarre/nightmarish kind of Hell instead of the epic castle/cathedral kind of hell. I dig it.

image.png.fb9f454f8cba93b7ca11753c590957cc.png

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

"i'll just close my eyes and run forward" is not how DooM meant to be played, i believe. ;-)

Good thing the SSG doesn't actually work like that, then.

It's more powerful than the regular shotgun, especially in close range, but it has more spread and takes more time to reload. Yeah, it mows through imps and zombiemen pretty easily, but it's not this "instant-win" gun that some people claim it to be. And I dunno about you, but chopping down Cacos or HKs at close range with the standard SG is the opposite of fun to me, let alone Barons.

7 hours ago, ketmar said:

"i'll just close my eyes and run forward" is not how DooM meant to be played, i believe

So you have no idea how the SSG is actually used... good to know you like boring fights with barons.

good luck playing Plutonia with your pea shooter shotgun.

5 hours ago, ketmar said:

i don't like new DooM II monsters

And you also dont like variety in gameplay... more power i guess

8 hours ago, Nancsi said:

Cacos are the only D1 enemies where the lack of SSG hurts. That thing was created for the D2 specific badguys IMHO.

I get most bored dispatching normal pinky demons with the regular SG.

The SSG is better than the normal SG in almost every single way besides range and reload time. There's a reason why it's become a fan favourite for many Doom fans including myself.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

So you have no idea how the SSG is actually used... good to know you like boring fights with barons.

good luck playing Plutonia with your pea shooter shotgun.

And you also dont like variety in gameplay... more power i guess

Some people actually prefer the original Doom's slower pace! I doubt whether the person you are quoting has much if any interesting in The Plutonia Experiment.

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

FTFY

But you're better using the RL, Plasma, and BFG on Barons instead when they come in larger numbers. 

I absolutely love the Super Shotgun and Doom II's enemies but I don't mind a return to classic Doom once in a while and for the 25th anniversary it sort of feels right.

10 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Huh? Can you elaborate on this because it seems like such an odd complaint... what's wrong with the chaingun?

Fighting cacos with CG is not so interesting to me personally. Chaingunning (singular) Cacos is a waiting room laden with pain states until the caco deflates, in my opinion. It's also what rubbed me the wrong way in the trailer and some other footage I've seen. Slower pace is fine for me at times, but when the odds of simply getting hit are so close to zero it seems "undercooked" to me.