Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

I've seen some confusion regarding what version of Doom you need to play this and I think I can clarify: any full DOOM.WAD will do. It doesn't matter where from (Steam, GOG, CD, Floppy, etc.) just as long as it's the "registered" or full version. However you do need a limit removing port. Romero was using GZDoom but many others will do.

The site makes it sound like you need the 1993 original 3 episode version which is pretty bad wording. It should have said "any full version of The Ultimate Doom."

The Sigil WAD will be just level data and possibly other lumps like any other WAD you would download these days. I am 99.9% sure of this.

It is probably common sense to us but I see comments like "I have the Steam version so it won't work" and that is partly false. It won't work in DOSBox that Steam supplies but it will work fine in a source port that supports limit removing maps. So many comments on the trailer are confused on this.

13 hours ago, Nevander said:

I see comments like "I have the Steam version so it won't work" and that is partly false. It won't work in DOSBox that Steam supplies but it will work fine in a source port that supports limit removing maps. So many comments on the trailer are confused on this.

I'm sure that will sort itself out in the next few months. It does seem like the people making those comments are not aware of sourceports which seems weird to me but reviews etc. are bound to mention how you're supposed to play it.

I don't use Steam anymore but whoever's the mod / admin for the discussion forums there could make a pinned post about the confusion / questions (which will probably happen at some point).

I think the, "requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOM," is what's confusing those people. That should probably get reworded on Romero's site to make it clear the version that can be purchased through modern digital storefronts is fine. A lot of those Steam users seem to be understanding that as needing to literally own the original disks from 1993.

It's like some people actually seem to think Romero is still using ancient tools to build his maps and is going to put them in an actual floppy and mail them out like it's the 90s, and you somehow need to use an original Doom registered install on ancient hardware. Rofl.

Running SIGIL will be no different from running his E1M8b or E1M4b.

The thing I'm fuzzy on though is if he is doing E5Mx or replacing an older episode? I don't know how ports like PrBoom handle new map names that did not exist in the IWAD. GZDoom and such will have no issue since it can load anything, even a map with no naming scheme.

16 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

I think I'll be playing it with FreeDoom. :B

How dare you, sir?

HOW ABSOLUTELY DARE YOU?

19 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

I think I'll be playing it with FreeDoom. :B

Look, I get that this is just a joke what with all the confusion, but this just isn’t funny. It’s a cruel idea to put in someone’s head. You don’t joke about something like this. I honestly cannot believe you’d be so callous.

21 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Ah fuck, I can't believe you've done this.

However, in earnest I am perhaps pointing out the folly of believing only the original 3-episode IWAD will work. I mean. That's the point of FreeDoom, right? And if some poor soul doesn't own the original but wants to see what this Jim Romeo fellow is all about, then they can. ;)

I actually think FreeDoom serves as an awesome way to give Wads more replayability as well. Sometimes I’ll load up familiar turf with FreeDoom just for the fresh coat of paint!

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

The thing I'm fuzzy on though is if he is doing E5Mx or replacing an older episode? I don't know how ports like PrBoom handle new map names that did not exist in the IWAD. GZDoom and such will have no issue since it can load anything, even a map with no naming scheme.

The way he was talking it sounds like it will be the former, but he also said he'd be testing it on other source ports so it may end up being the latter. Unless he's cleared it up recently and I missed it I don't think we know for sure yet. I guess there's nothing stopping him from releasing it both ways.

I watched a live feed on youtube about Sigil with Romero playing it, mainly talking a lot, but playing it too. It was actually episode 5.

He booted it up several times because he died several times. It was right under Thy Flesh Consumed as Sigil the something, I couldn't catch what it said but it wasn't just the word Sigil. 

sure would have been nice if that universal mapinfo that was talked about a while back didn't end up on some dude's backburner and forgotten by everyone

The map he played to the end looked pretty short though, I hope the episode will take at least 2-3 hours to beat.

Speaking of Romero's streams, will he export them to YouTube? Or will someone upload them? I'd like to watch all the parts I missed eventually. Perhaps I should just watch the VODs while they are still there.

9 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Speaking of Romero's streams, will he export them to YouTube? Or will someone upload them? I'd like to watch all the parts I missed eventually. Perhaps I should just watch the VODs while they are still there.

Download them if you want. Upload them to YT maybe?

https://github.com/Franiac/TwitchLeecher/releases

I Think this hasn't been posted yet, Came across it on Youtube, Some Sigil gameplay from Romero stream:

Spoiler

Not much in the means of gameplay, but shows some areas at least.

I have watched a bunch of Romero streams of Sigil over the past week or so. Mostly had it playing in the background because he occasionally answers some questions from the chat. Not much point in really WATCHING it because Romero sucks at playing DOOM and he dies all the time so it's just a couple of 5min maps stretched into multiple 1-2h streams. Kind of funny how he constantly talks about how hard it is - I mean sure, if you can't dodge a projectile from a single Cacodemon in front of you then I guess you'd call it hard. I wonder if he's doing it on purpose because that's some novice skill level right there (I kid you not, try watching any of the archives).

What about the maps themselves? Well, he showcased three and all of them are pretty cool. I don't know about the other levels but those three are really short and really small. I'm fine with that because I'm always up for short and sweet bite-sized maps but I guess some people might be disappointed by that. Two of those maps are set in single medium-sized rooms/areas with some minor branching here and there, Perfect Hatred style.

One thing that I really like is that Romero is not shying away from making environmental hazards very prominent. All of the showcased maps make a heavy use of damaging floors and walkways that you can easily fall off from. Again, Perfect Hatred and Against Thee Wickedly come to mind. I wonder how all those action-action, rip&tear fanatics who think that DOOM is all about running around at crazy speeds and slaughtering hundreds of monsters will react to that... But to me that is very much "DOOM", if you know what I mean.

Anyway, so far Sigil looks way better than E1M8b and E1M4b. The only thing I don't like about it is that Romero apparently thinks that all this soothing guitar music somehow fits DOOM but hey, the free version will have DOOM1 midis so I guess it's fine.

I do have to wonder if he's just messing around because he doesn't want to show off too much. He's mentioned multiple times that he doesn't want to give away all the surprises. I mean, I have no doubt that he's probably not the greatest Doom player but it's also hard to buy that he's that bad when watching the streams. It feels to me like he's meandering about and taking his time and if that's the case that's fine, I don't want it spoiled anyway.

I got the same vibe you did in regards to his E4 maps, which might not be everyone's cup of tea but I personally really like, and considering it's being designed as a follow-up to E4 it seems fitting enough. I liked his E1b maps, I'm pretty sure I'll get some fun out of these too.

I've got mixed feelings on the Buckethead music as well (I do think it's really cool that Romero got him to make an original song for it) but as you said, the free version won't have it so there's no problem there really.

Well, I hope the levels will be at least at the size of E1M4b and E1M8b. He still has 2 months to build up additional rooms.

Starting watching the VODs and noticed a few song names were mentioned so I starting building a list of them. I will add to this as (or if) I discover more.

Unconfirmed maps' tracks:

1. Romero: One Mind, Any Weapon (exclusive)

2. 13th Floor

Map list with confirmed tracks:

E5M1 - ?

E5M2 - ?

E5M3 - Buildor Part 2

E5M4 - The Patrolman

E5M5 - Cold Frost Part 6

E5M6 - Melting Man Part 2

E5M7 - Far 5

E5M8 - ?

E5M9 - ?

Loving the choices so far, especially Buildor.

Edited by Nevander : Updated list

So if I understand correctly, SIGIL's levels will use vanilla Doom tracks, much like Thy Flesh Consumed?

If that is right, then I am honestly confused as to why John Romero would hype his partnership with Buckethead. Why not use the opportunity to commission new tracks and make MIDI versions of them for the WAD?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

So if I understand correctly, SIGIL's levels will use vanilla Doom tracks, much like Thy Flesh Consumed?

If that is right, then I am honestly confused as to why John Romero would hype his partnership with Buckethead. Why not use the opportunity to commission new tracks and make MIDI versions of them for the WAD?

If you bought the physical editions, those versions of the WAD will have Buckethead's tracks instead.

Looking forward to my Beast Box.

He said at 7:48 of the latest stream that Sigil will have its own MIDI soundtrack, but later in the stream said that it's not a conversion of the Buckethead music. The Limited Run WAD will have the Buckethead music in any source port that will allow it as already stated.

13 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

He said at 7:48 of the latest stream that Sigil will have its own MIDI soundtrack, but later in the stream said that it's not a conversion of the Buckethead music. The Limited Run WAD will have the Buckethead music in any source port that will allow it as already stated.

Huh? That's weird. Then which MIDIs are going to be included in the free release I wonder?

9 minutes ago, VGA said:

Huh? That's weird. Then which MIDIs are going to be included in the free release I wonder?

Probably just references to the original MIDIs in MAPINFO or something similar.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

Probably just references to the original MIDIs in MAPINFO or something similar.

Almost certainly this, who the hell would commission a MIDI in 2018?

Mind you, there's plenty of really great community talent that may well have been tapped to do a new soundtrack, but that obviously would have nothing to do with Buckethead, and obviously if that's happened they're keeping totally mum on it.

So I'm pretty sure it'll be just a "greatest hits" of the original Doom's soundtrack. Hoping for more "They're Going To Get You," "Sinister," and "Donna to the Rescue" and less "Waltz of the Demons" (one of the few Doom 1 songs I can't really stand and just feels terribly out of place).

Maybe bucket head fancied the challenge of composing in midi in 2018. Unlikely but not impossible