Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

23 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

For me it's unironically the other way around. When I first saw the release trailer and a bit of footage from the streams, I was not particularly interested in playing this at all, because it seemed rather bland to me. After reading dew's impressions from the interview I've become a bit more interested in this in spite of my reservations towards doom1's limited roster.

That's good, because I had to endure a ration defending against your reservations. If you end up happy, I guess it was worth it.

Actually, there's a fair amount of negativity in this thread, about something that should be pretty purely awesome. Many people are questioning the decisions and the direction, and everything else inbetween.

I wish things didn't have to go that way. I'm thrilled to be able to play this mapset, whether it's perfect or not, ,and I'm ok with waiting until it arrives. Actually, in some cases (but not this one), I've found that the waiting can be better than the having. A little patience goes a long way.

Edited by kb1

I guess we are talking about how we are going to be playing it when it releases so i'll be playing it in GZDoom, probably vanilla like without mods in the software renderer (although there are other sourceports that are better for that) due to the fact that i love how the mouse feels. Otherwise i'd use something like PrBoom+ or Eternity.

Question (if anyone knows and would care to answer): Would i need to choose a compatibility mode for SIGIL if i use GZDoom? Or would i just leave it set to Default?

6 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I guess we are talking about how we are going to be playing it when it releases so i'll be playing it in GZDoom, probably vanilla like without mods in the software renderer (although there are other sourceports that are better for that) due to the fact that i love how the mouse feels. Otherwise i'd use something like PrBoom+ or Eternity.

Question (if anyone knows and would care to answer): Would i need to choose a compatibility mode for SIGIL if i use GZDoom? Or would i just leave it set to Default?

Considering its nature, you'll probably need Doom (Strict) since Default doesn't have infinitely tall actors ON by default, as far as I remember.

1 hour ago, CyberDreams said:

Would i need to choose a compatibility mode for SIGIL if i use GZDoom? Or would i just leave it set to Default?

Romero was using default during his streams I'm pretty sure, so just use default. Using Doom (strict) or any other compat mode may actually cause more problems, not less. I've had cases in my own maps where things failed to happen because they were not possible with vanilla rules but work as intended in default.

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Romero was using default during his streams I'm pretty sure, so just use default. Using Doom (strict) or any other compat mode may actually cause more problems, not less. I've had cases in my own maps where things failed to happen because they were not possible with vanilla rules but work as intended in default.

I don't think it will be a problem on either compat mode, because vanilla compatibility has been playtested by a few Doom savvy people from this very board.

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

the maps for speedrunners, which will be played with "vanilla limit removing" compats, are exactly the same maps that will be played in GZ as "episode 5". So strict vanilla is a perfectly fine compatibility choice that will cause no problems whatsoever.

If there are any non-doom compatible issues with this release, I might look into it and see if things can be fixed. In some cases 1.9-limit breaking maps can be below the limits if built better.

No guarantees though, and it will most likely be as a research project. For serious speed running the maps should run in 1.9 / Chocolate Doom.

1 minute ago, zokum said:

For serious speed running the maps should run in 1.9 / Chocolate Doom.

No, seriously not. It's either PrBoom+ or crispy.

Thanks for the answers/help everyone! Like i said in my previous post, i just prefer to use GZDoom nowadays because i really like how the mouse feels compared to other sourceports (might just be my PC or because i'm really damn picky). Otherwise i'd play Doom with a more vanilla compat one such as PrBoom+ or Choco/Crispy.

Again sorry for going off topic.

To clarify for those still unsure, Sigil is not compatible with Chocolate Doom, as it's a limit removing wad.

Crispy is the most vanilla source port that will support it. 

Edited by Bauul

This was great news to come home to after a terrible week. I think I'll play the Buckethead version in GZ first then do the midi version in Crispy.

About time.

Can't wait to see what Romero's cooked up first-hand. c:

Just a little heads up for people in Europe..

I live in Finland.

I've bought two different items from Limited Run Games in the past.

And both times it took pretty much exactly 3 weeks for the items to arrive after the shipping confirmation.

Now this is only two times, so it might not be as long on this one.

Usually it takes little more than 1 week for stuff to arrive from US.

I haven't got the shipping confirmation for this yet, so I'm definitely waiting for the free wad first!

The quality of the items has been great! Very happy with them.

Also first playthrough gzdoom! No extra mods.

2 hours ago, zokum said:

If there are any non-doom compatible issues with this release, I might look into it and see if things can be fixed. In some cases 1.9-limit breaking maps can be below the limits if built better.

There's a couple of maps that would need extensive visual edits and trimdowns to ever fit in vanilla -- several scenes are way over (John loves those hellcracks), so it's really best to think of it as a limit-removing wad and leave it at that. With apologies for the rainclouding.

1 minute ago, Xaser said:

hellcracks

The innocent will suffer. Good.

37 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

It seems LRG has updated once and for all the official website to reflect they are shipping Sigil.

https://archive.fo/zzCS9

https://archive.fo/1ihjT

It has been renamed. si6il instead of sigil.

https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il/

The first links says that both editions are shipped now, while it seems that nobody who ordered the beast box got any mail with the tracking information.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

it's a limit removing wad

Hope it will be with an old-school mapping.

I mean John Romero maps were always quite a maze.

Edited by The Doommer

2 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Hope it will be with an old-school mapping.

the only reason there will be a seperate version for PrB+ and crispy users is that it's "olschool mapping", and not some advanced ZDoom, UDMF, whatever format, that can work only in GZDoom

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

the only reason there will be a seperate version for PrB+ and crispy users is that it's "olschool mapping", and not some advanced ZDoom, UDMF, whatever format, that can work only in GZDoom

By old-school I mostly meant loyal to the original way Romero designed the maps but if there was anything added it would be appreciated.

e1m8b and e1m4b have shown that romero is, to some degree, willing to evolve his design rather than stick to only what he knew in 93'/94'

2 minutes ago, SaladBadger said:

e1m8b and e1m4b have shown that romero is, to some degree, willing to evolve his design rather than stick to only what he knew in 93'/94'

And I loved them. I don't mean it has to be strict to some rules. I just want to have fun like I had with the original. Nothing more or less. And Romero basically can't make unsatisfying maps can he ?

1 hour ago, plynthus said:

I live in Finland.

[...]

Usually it takes little more than 1 week for stuff to arrive from US.

Only just over a week from the US? That sounds too good to be true. Anytime I order anything from overseas, it takes anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks to arrive.

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

For me it's unironically the other way around. When I first saw the release trailer and a bit of footage from the streams, I was not particularly interested in playing this at all, because it seemed rather bland to me. After reading dew's impressions from the interview I've become a bit more interested in this in spite of my reservations towards doom1's limited roster.

Well, I had to first look up which levels were made by Romero in the original games, but when I did - that's when I got hyped. Because, apparently, E1 and E4M2 - my favourite levels - were his creations. Also I do like Doom 1 roster, and E4M2 is a perfect example of Romero being quite capable of delivering while being limited to it.

26 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Only just over a week from the US? That sounds too good to be true. Anytime I order anything from overseas, it takes anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks to arrive.

In my experience yes. I've bought a lot of things from ebay and amazon over the years. Sometimes it takes a little longer. And sometimes when it takes longer I assume they didn't send the package right away. Most of the time in my experience about a week.

With limited run items it's taken 3 weeks for me unfortunately.

I recommend playing it in in crispy doom first it has some nice features like mirrored corpses, colored blood and high resolution support while still being as vanilla as possible. Still I keep wondering what romero did used to playtest the wads. It would be nice if there was an official but not forced way to play it.

either way when are these boxes going to arrive? the were supposed to be shipped in the beginning of this month but I still haven't heard anything