Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

4 hours ago, pcorf said:

Yellow key was required to get through they yellow door (which was set low into the ground so you had no choice but to fight the monsters in the lava cave before the door had fully opened) and then you can lower the yellow bars. The red and blue bars (not blue bar pigeon) can be lowered after completing their respective areas.

5 hours ago, noisebloom said:

Ahh, thanks. I missed that.

Does the yellow switch look different? Because I believe a yellow skull key was required...

5 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

As explained here, it's not really a bug: each colored switch opens the corresponding color bars. The keys aren't needed because (a) Doom 1 didn't have keyed switches (they were introduced in Ultimate Doom, and only worked doors), and (b) the switches don't appear until you've traversed the required paths, anyway. Is it inconsistent? Sure, okay. But not a bug.

If you're an idiot like me, who played thru it the first time using Brutal DooM then you'd know @Salt-Man Z was correct (and everyone else) the yellow skull key is only needed technically to get thru the yellow door, you trip the line to reveal the yellow switch as you're walking off the platform. Or you could have traveled down the (red path) first like me and think oooo there's a health pack on that platform over there, lemme jump up there grab it, and inadvertently trip said yellow switch lol

17 hours ago, Nevander said:

Wow ok I just opened my box and tried playing the CDs in my stereo. They don't play! That's an actual disappointment to me, unlike others complaining about the maps... this is an actual legit concern. Not being able to rock out to the soundtrack old school style is a bummer, especially since the back of the case implies it's an audio CD you can play anywhere thanks to the track listing. I guess I will have to burn my own CD.

That is a disappointment. I didn't get a chance to actually order any of the boxes but i would be bummed out as i do still listen to CD's. In one of the Twitch streams of SIGIL Romero did mention that he doesn't own any CD's anymore and only included one as a nostalgic sort of thing. I actually regularly listen to CD's still and the few CD players that i have are fairly old (late 80's/early 90's) but still work great.

11 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Buckethead's soundtrack is ~93 minutes in length, well more than the standard 80 minute capacity of an audio CD.

The lossless versions of Buckethead's tracks are on the USB drive.

AREH09l.png

It still would of been nice to have two CD's with the full soundtrack but that would of been more money/manufacturing costs and with the delay's that already happened it would of probably took even longer. Also considering the fact that "in this day and age" supposedly most people don't even listen to CD's anymore, (it's all about that vinyl i guess) i suppose it makes sense to include it digitally on the USB drive.

Also, i cannot wait to play SIGIL! Only a few more days :)

oh, i didn't think that the soundtrack could've exceeded the audio disc limit, that makes sense. it's still weird that the disc doesn't have the lossless audio files on it though.

31 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

it's still weird that the disc doesn't have the lossless audio files on it though.

The lossless soundtrack exceeds the disc limit.  It wouldn't fit on a single disc.  Some games with CD music split the soundtrack between two discs (Outlaws does this, for example), but I guess that would have increased manufacturing costs for the SIGIL boxes.

Awesome episode, overflowing with creativity. A couple of progression triggers threw me off:

E5M2.png.9ce16fd389c4c4418763e916731c677a.png

E5M2: Since I didn't need the health, it didn't occur to me to enter here.

E5M7.png.04d037be3a5e9c4acb7d8f11e6042b58.png

E5M7: I pretty much wall humped every wall in this area except this. I did try stepping on the

loose brick at first though.

Edited by Urthar

8 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

I emailed them and got a reply telling me that it's just the beast boxes that haven't been shipped yet. Apparently no one has received them yet. It's a little disapointing tho that we will get them way after the release of the free version, considering that we paid the most for the game.

Forward your purchase confirmation to info@romerogames.com and they'll at least give you a download link to play while you wait.

My Beast Box is on the way and due to arrive by Thursday so I guess it's only some that haven't shipped yet?

Several copies of the SIGIL standard edition big box have already been sold on eBay for more than double the original $39.99 price.  I guess quite a few people missed the pre-order period and really want the box no matter how much they get ripped off.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

Awesome episode, overflowing with creativity. A couple of progression triggers threw me off:

Yeah, this is one of the worst pieces of design in the WAD in my opinion. The biggest problem being that he gives you a Soul Sphere right before this so unless you get absolutely clobbered by the Caco trap you probably won't bother running for the medkit so you won't solve it until you get desperate and start wall humping or burn yourself in the lava long enough to finally want the medkit, lol.

3 hours ago, Urthar said:

Same exact thing happened to me the first time I played it.  IMO the wall segment immediately behind the Medikit should've been a switch, like so:

Wp06m7B.png

I figured $7.50 was a small price to pay to get the Buckethead soundtrack (not necessarily a fan, just wanted to hear it with the "intended" music, and since it was cheaper than the Bandcamp option, why not?) so I grabbed this yesterday and played the first 5 maps UV/continuous/saves/GZDoom/keyboard-only. Whoof! Very cool, mostly fun, and pretty tough! Lots of creativity on display, and oftimes some pretty cryptic progression. Maybe my favorite bit is that so far there've been 4 cyberdemons, and I was able to telefrag them all, yay!

Favorite map so far is probably a tie between E5M2 and E5M4. M4 gets a little bit of an edge because the Buckethead track is fantastic, but loses a point on account of the tediousness of the middle and righthand paths. (The crusher maze was a pain, though I didn't hate it as much as everyone else.)

The eye-switches are very cool, and I love how they close up when activated, but man it is a shame that they can misfire so easily. I read about it here first, so I was always careful to line my shot up well, but I still managed to get softlocked in E5M5 in the caged room on the blue key path; I never even saw it, so it must have gotten clipped in the firefight there. I wasted so much time trying to figure out where to go next, and eventually IDDT showed me the problem, and I had to IDCLIP to fix it. I'm not sure exactly how they're constructed, but I haven't seen reports of the opposite problem--the path opening and the switch not closing--so maybe the simplest fix is just to swap the triggers?

Just finished playing in PrBoom+. Loved the Hell out of it, and I have no idea how Gman could have panned it so harshly. He must be spoiled by Realm667-style projects or something. Personally I thought it played exactly how a Doom E5 should.

5 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

I have no idea how Gman could have panned it so harshly.

His review literally made it seem like he hadn't played the other four episodes. He's officially an idiot, in my mind. 

17 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

His review literally made it seem like he hadn't played the other four episodes. He's officially an idiot, in my mind. 

Why don't you keep it quietly in your mind? There are and will be people with negative opinions about SIGIL and/or Romero.

Let's complain about people who complain about people who complain about something. It's the proper forum diet for folks who are lacking iron in their diets.

This may be considered a heresy, but I found out that dark SIGIL levels go very well with brightmaps (e.g. glowing eyes) and dynamic lighting.

Edited by m8f : Edit: SIGIL

2 minutes ago, m8f said:

Si6il

Why are you writing it like this? Even Romero does not do this.

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

Why are you writing it like this? Even Romero does not do this.

How do you know that's not JoRoMo's secret account to chat with the commoners?

If you are going back to the past with Sigil, you go big and reintroduce leet speak.

25 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

This unfortunately highlights how little control mappers have over how their maps actually appear when rendered in GZDoom. You figure a map set designed as a (limit-removing) vanilla episode firmly entrenched in the footsteps of the original Doom should just work as-is, but the discrepancy between the normal software renderer and GZDoom's default lighting settings is enormous.

SrQvWgG.png

fuQfj2d.jpg

As a wise man once said: What a shame.

PLease tell me the exact settings you have for the top image.

40 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Why don't you keep it quietly in your mind? There are and will be people with negative opinions about SIGIL and/or Romero.

LOL - says the guy who went on a temper tantrum about Romero charging for the WAD.

I have legitimate criticisms about Gman's review being dishonest and misinformed. Objective facts were skewed. 

10 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

PLease tell me the exact settings you have for the top image.

Just looks like GZDoom's old school Doom Software Renderer, you can select that option under set video mode or just use PrBoom+ , Crispy Doom, or Eternity Engine

6 minutes ago, chowbar said:

Just looks like GZDoom's old school Doom Software Renderer, you can select that option under set video mode or just use PrBoom+ or Crispy Doom

Hmm...seems like I already have that on.
Also, I would totally use Crispy Doom, but I own a Mac, so yeah, I'm a little screwed there.
And yes, I know of things that could let me run Crispy Doom on my Mac, but I don't like how the PC versions of Chocolate Doom work in comparison to the Mac version which is nice, all in one, and is easy for me to choose my damn IWAD.