Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

On 5/29/2019 at 2:05 PM, Revenant100 said:

This unfortunately highlights how little control mappers have over how their maps actually appear when rendered in GZDoom. You figure a map set designed as a (limit-removing) vanilla episode firmly entrenched in the footsteps of the original Doom should just work as-is, but the discrepancy between the normal software renderer and GZDoom's default lighting settings is enormous.

I think GZDoom should launch with Software mode by default. Launching with Hardware made sense when you could choose between ZDoom or GZDoom, but now, being the only available port, we are dealing with a different issue for casual players. Hardware will make Doom too different from what it should be and consequently will mess with custom maps as well... leading to a scenario where whiny youtubers will complain about how "dark" Sigil is and all that shit.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

I am reasonably sure that we are May 30 today, I am also reasonably sure this means that May 31 is tomorrow and tomorrow is May 31, I refer you to the current thread title:

SIGIL - New Romero megawad [release date: May 31]

Well yes, that's why I quoted your post when replying to kristus.

6 hours ago, kristus said:

Oh wait, it's not the 31 yet. For some reason I thought it was today

Guess that clears up the the misunderstanding then.

One thing I think would be neat is if the community chipped in and improved/remade the Sigil sky texture. I love the wad, but that texture is the only thing about it that strikes me as sort of half-assed, I think someone here could do it justice.

18 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I think GZDoom should launch with Software mode by default. Launching with Hardware made sense when you could choose between ZDoom or GZDoom, but now, being the only available port, we are dealing with a different issue for casual players. Hardware will make Doom too different from what it should be and consequently will mess with custom maps as well... leading to a scenario where whiny youtubers will complain about how "dark" Sigil is and all that shit.

The days when hardware looked drastically different from software are thankfully behind us...if the right settings are used. Unfortunately, as of now, out of the box GZDoom defaults to Dark sector light mode, which is one of the big culprits, and I get the impression most people don't bother to change it to Software, which looks pretty much exactly like the software renderer.

19 minutes ago, Gifty said:

One thing I think would be neat is if the community chipped in and improved/remade the Sigil sky texture. I love the wad, but that texture is the only thing about it that strikes me as sort of half-assed, I think someone here could do it justice.

Glad I'm not alone in that thought.  Once I saw that texture, I couldn't get past it.  Though, this isn't really a remake of the texture at all, just something I pulled from elsewhere on the forum.

Spoiler

lavasky1.png

Credit on that texture goes to DooMAD, by the way.

44 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

The days when hardware looked drastically different from software are thankfully behind us...if the right settings are used. Unfortunately, as of now, out of the box GZDoom defaults to Dark sector light mode, which is one of the big culprits, and I get the impression most people don't bother to change it to Software, which looks pretty much exactly like the software renderer.

Exactly. There is a lot of people who never played with a port before. They don't know how to do it or will not bother to change the settings, meaning they will play with an inaccurate lighting mode thinking that's how it should be. And of course, they will blame the mapper in the process.

Edited by Noiser

1 minute ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

So, with prboom this is an e3 replacement?

yes, Sigil_compat.wad replaces e3.

Well its 31st in my timezone now. WHERE IS THE FREE MEGAWAD.

(joking of course)

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well its 31st in my timezone now. WHERE IS THE FREE MEGAWAD.

(joking of course)

One hour and a half left here xd.

2 hours ago, Diabolución said:

By the way, Crispy Doom does not offer native support for sigil.wad, and Fabian is very reluctant to add it. You have to use, yes or yes, the compat version, sigil_compat.wad.

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/issues/418

It works with sigil.wad too. What does not work is go to Ep. 5 from the menu, you need to idclev. I think, Crispy Doom should not autoload sigil.wad, but add support for the menu item if loaded with the -file command line parameter.

1 hour ago, Breezeep said:

Friendship ended with GGGmanlives

He did kinda split his fanbase didn't he? People love Doom, people love Romero. Disliking either is like heresy.

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

He did kinda split his fanbase didn't he? People love Doom, people love Romero. Disliking either is like heresy.

I don't think it's the opinion itself, but the arguments that rubbed people the wrong way. Sure there have been a few dumb kneerjerks even in this very thread, but hopefully we don't dumb it down to people sticking to their "faith" or "tribe".

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

He had already upset a lot of people by giving a very glowing and generic review to Blood: Fresh Supply despite it having several issues at launch (many of which have been fixed with more on the way) so his take on Sigil has people feeling like he's just rushing stuff out to be the first review on Youtube.

I've enjoyed his content in the past but I have to admit I feel like he didn't really give either of these the proper attention.

Edited by Gunstar Green

20 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Doubt that, but he just doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, as I have seen in some of his videos.

5 hours ago, Gifty said:

Oh lord. I haven't noticed the sky at all until you said that. I just looked in the WAD and... hoo boy. Palettization did not do that sky texture any favors.

I'm a little less than halfway through currently. It's fun overall, I think, but...

The crusher maze in E5M4 is not even remotely satisfying to play. It's an interesting design idea and it was implemented well, but it is a pain in the ass to try and navigate only to get hit by one crusher, forcing me to reload a savegame and try it all over again.

I found the secret invulnerability sphere after completing the map when I went to go back and look for secrets, and I thought, "oh, maybe I was supposed to use this to get through!" before realizing... the crushers freeze you in place for several seconds if you get stuck in them. And if the invulnerability wears off in that time, well... F9 yet again.

Every map has one or two quirks that are a little bit irritating, but this one stood out the most for me. Not sure what awaits me in the last 5 levels.

Just got my Beast Box.

I like the making of booklet. Cool to learn he actually worked on Sigil while on several different cruises.

4 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Just got my Beast Box.

I like the making of booklet. Cool to learn he actually worked on Sigil while on several different cruises.

Lucky! Lol (hectic life) I didn't even know about Sigil til just after the pre-orders we're closed. I bought the wad on Sunday morning tho. You're really going to like Sigil, it's fantastic IMO. Even the "what the fuck/goddammit Romero" moments will be appreciated lol. Can you take a up close pic of his head on a stick, curious to see what the detailing is like on it.

39 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

I will buy a Beast Box for muchos $$$.... 

Your only chance is to keep your eye on eBay and be prepared to pay colossal bucks on a whim. That standard big box you linked to the other day sold rather quickly for $130.

13 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Your only chance is to keep your eye on eBay and be prepared to pay colossal bucks on a whim. That standard big box you linked to the other day sold rather quickly for $130.

Yup, I'm prepared to get utterly ripped. 

1 hour ago, wheresthebeef said:

Just got my Beast Box.

"God damnit, everything is so expensive on this boat!"

*fires up Gzdoombuilder* 

"Time to get paid"