Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Doomsday is poorly optimized. GZdoom can do almost everything that Doomsday and more. And GZdoom run much much better than Doomsday.

I know I know I've ran all the ports what you can possibly imagine during the years. My choise is Doomsday but GZdoom is alarmingly catching on with visual quality and when Romero himself switched from doomsday to Gzdoom, I think I hopping also. During the years doomsday always looked best and nicest but with heavy hw requirements.

Is the GZdoom really as nice looking as doomsday? We need comparison shots :-)

18 minutes ago, eyelid said:

Is the GZdoom really as nice looking as doomsday? We need comparison shots :-)

Personally I like GZdoom's visuals more than those of Doomsday. For example, the bloom in Doomsday is way too much (it completely destroys the atmosphere). Whereas bloom in GZdoom is much more subtle.

GZdoom also has much better support for custom wads and mods. Doomsday struggles (performance issues) with limit-removing wads (as u said yourself that Sigil gets hairy on Doomsday) and nevermind Boom/MBF wads which Doomsday doesn't support at all. GZdoom can run most limit-removing, Boom and MBF wads without any issue. There are also tons of quality Zdoom exclusive mods out there, whereas there are barely any Doomsday exclusive mods.

GZdoom is also much easier to set up and use. Give it a try again. Trust me, u won't regret it.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, glyphic said:

Edit: Oh and with SIGIL_COMPAT.wad

@glyphic is this with the 1.0 or the 1.1 release of Sigil?

2 hours ago, elend said:

Uhm, I doubt that the people at LRG are rubbing their hands with a grin and think: „Hah, what a bunch of idiots, we got so much money from them!!“.

What‘s most likely the case is, that a small business like LRG is just - well - too small to handle this properly. Add communicational problems with the (most likely) chinese supplier and there you have it. Delays. 

This. They're not some big publisher that plans to put hundreds of thousands of copies of a game on store shelves at a launch date where you can simply go and buy the game as soon as its out. They're a novelty company that makes small batches of product on demand and produce only the number ordered or as close to it as they can get. When you add more complex items like the Beast Box goodies you're dealing with more manufacturers, probably all overseas, where more things can go wrong and more delays can happen.

I can sympathize with people's impatience, it sucks not having what you paid for in your hands especially when other people have gotten theirs, but they haven't ripped you off and you will get it.

3 hours ago, elend said:

What‘s most likely the case is, that a small business like LRG is just - well - too small to handle this properly. Add communicational problems with the (most likely) chinese supplier and there you have it. Delays. 

Then they shouldn't be in the business of taking orders and charging them for several hundred bucks. Or at the very least, get more people on board or something. If they're suffering productivity due to heavy orders all the time they should start to expand considering they sell all this kind of merch all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the management was pocketing in company funds to keep the production means and staff small just so they could have a house on the beach. I've heard nightmare production crews and mismanaged companies do this shit all the time. I'm not excusing LRG anymore. Someone, somewhere, somehow, fucked up. 

P.S. Though I could understand the chinese supplier issue. That might be the cost of doing business, which really sucks for everyone if the customers have to deal with this regularly as the rumor with LRG goes.

Edited by SamuelNMEvander

5 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

You can play SIGIL on a DOS PC.

Yes but you need at least good Pentium or something faster. Doom engine won't make it. SIGIL is poorly optimized, not made with old DOS engines in mind. I've tried. But it works of course, you can run it.

48 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

Oh, nice! So are people playing SIGIL with Boom or what?

It almost works with just Ultimate Doom+ from http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/. It's a hacked doom.exe from Ultimate Doom, static limits have been extended a lot so maps which normally require a "limit-removing port" can be played.

Sigil has a few instances of using textures in a vanilla-incompatible way however, so there are some occasional graphic bugs (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tutti-frutti) and in a few places even excessive slowdown (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Medusa_effect).

I posted another EXE file which I hacked a bit further to play the E5Mx version of Sigil in DOS earlier in this thread, but that does not fix the texturing issues.

17 minutes ago, AnotherGrunt said:

Yes but you need at least good Pentium or something faster. Doom engine won't make it. SIGIL is poorly optimized, not made with old DOS engines in mind. I've tried. But it works of course, you can run it.

Try building proper reject lumps for the maps and see if it helps, they come with zero-filled rejects out of the box. That will break demo compatibility however.

Edited by xttl

MBF is the limit-removing port I used to use, when I was playing DOOM in DOS.

46 minutes ago, xttl said:

Try building proper reject lumps for the maps and see if it helps, they come with zero-filled rejects out of the box. That will break demo compatibility however.

I'm trying. Work in progress. But no high hopes ;-)

RMB.png

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

still not a good excuse to do shitty work. somehow such companies have absolutely no problems taking money from people. promise to do the work, take the money, fuck your customers. yay, what could possibly go wrong?

I'm not really trying to excuse LRG, rather suggest those who are frustrated should try to keep their blood pressure down, get some fresh air, count on the good things in life and not froth too much. 

On 6/4/2019 at 2:11 AM, fraggle said:

Just out of curiosity I decided to compare the original pics of the clay mold for the Icon of Sin figure against the final figure as shipped:

eouc08B.jpg ITOV03E.jpg 

Looks like we got a shapelier chin and a cutback on the gibs budget.

yeesh

You have huge guts......Scrimp and Spare!

Edited by Szymanski : yes

5 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Personally I like GZdoom's visuals more than those of Doomsday. For example, the bloom in Doomsday is way too much (it completely destroys the atmosphere). Whereas bloom in GZdoom is much more subtle.

GZdoom also has much better support for custom wads and mods. Doomsday struggles (performance issues) with limit-removing wads (as u said yourself that Sigil gets hairy on Doomsday) and nevermind Boom/MBF wads which Doomsday doesn't support at all. GZdoom can run most limit-removing, Boom and MBF wads without any issue. There are also tons of quality Zdoom exclusive mods out there, whereas there are barely any Doomsday exclusive mods.

GZdoom is also much easier to set up and use. Give it a try again. Trust me, u won't regret it.

Everything else is almost nice in Gzdoom, mut doomsday still handles sprite edges smoother (perhaps costing like 100fps but whatever, we have the power nowadays)

58 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'm not really trying to excuse LRG, rather suggest those who are frustrated should try to keep their blood pressure down, get some fresh air, count on the good things in life and not froth too much. 

Whilst I kind of agree...LRG isn't doing us a favour. We're paying customers and being told they're expecting to send out the remaining orders "in the next few months" is simply unacceptable. Putting aside the fact that they have been silent at every step of the way (John was basically single handedly doing their customer service for them) they actually have the boxes in their possession now. They can't use the excuse of production delays anymore. This wouldn't be such an issue if LRG took the money at the time of shipment...but they don't, they take it months in advance and at this point people can't even cancel, they're locked into waiting god knows how long for their boxes. Like I said, simply unacceptable. If I'm being brutally honest it makes LRG look like a bunch of cowboys.

9 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

If I'm being brutally honest it makes LRG look like a bunch of cowboys.

I would say, it makes them look like a bunch of amateurs.

4 minutes ago, eyelid said:

Everything else is almost nice in Gzdoom, mut doomsday still handles sprite edges smoother (perhaps costing like 100fps but whatever, we have the power nowadays)

Does the "sprite edges smoother" refer to how the sprites look after turning on texture filtering? I personally never use texture filtering as it makes everything look blurry and it takes away the pixelated charm of the sprite graphics.

Just now, ReaperAA said:

Does the "sprite edges smoother" refer to how the sprites look after turning on texture filtering? I personally never use texture filtering as it makes everything look blurry and it takes away the pixelated charm of the sprite graphics.

Yep.

1 hour ago, AnotherGrunt said:

I'm trying. Work in progress. But no high hopes ;-)

Why not use just ZenNode? This will rebuild only the REJECT lumps without ruining the optimized nodes (I guess that John Romero is using ZokumBSP with these parameters). I did try RMB -perfect in a real P4 2.4 Northwood and it takes a ludicrous and insane amount of time, so I gave up eventually and instead used ZenNode.

zennode -b- -n- coolmegawad.wad -o coolmegawad_optimized.wad

2 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Why not use just ZenNode? 

Because I didn't know it. Thanks. On the other hand, I've tried optimized map and it helps a bit but nothing critical. Geometry is problem. It is lot of stuff to draw, I suppose.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, glyphic said:

Edit: Oh and with SIGIL_COMPAT.wad

This was with the SIGIL v1.1 release and the "Misc. Sound Fixes" feature enabled. A sound is played when a door is closed manually, but in this case the door was actually a plat and this doesn't have a `sector` field set to play a sound from. Fixed in GIT, thank you!

22 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i still haven't got a shipping notification, and people are already somehow selling those things for such ludicrous prices? christ.

One of the Beast Boxes is already up to $350. 

:/

Is it possible I just ended E5M8 by killing all the Barons on the map without even touching the Spider and the Cyberdemon?

22 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i still haven't got a shipping notification, and people are already somehow selling those things for such ludicrous prices? christ.

One of the Beast Boxes is already up to $350. 

:/

11 minutes ago, fabian said:

Is it possible I just ended E5M8 by killing all the Barons on the map without even touching the Spider and the Cyberdemon?

Yes. I believe the WAD (at least the COMPAT version) includes a DeHackEd patch which removes the A_BossDeath call from the monsters' death frames to solve this. It removes A_BossDeath just from the Spiderdemon's death frames because only Spiderdemons can trigger the level end behaviour in E3M8.

In SIGIL.EXE I just modified the boss death code itself to not do anything in E5 specifically.

Edited by xttl

11 minutes ago, fabian said:

Yes. All u need to do is get to the exit. The invulnerability sphere is on top of the exit.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Yes. All u need to do is get to the exit. The invulnerability sphere is on top of the exit.

Yes, it's indeed possible to just run to the exit without touching any boss monsters, but since fabian is the coder of Crispy Doom I believe he's referring to how in vanilla engine if you load the map as E5M8, it will end as soon as you either kill the Spider, the Cyber or all the Barons due to how p_enemy.c:A_BossDeath works (boss enemy type is only specifically checked for episodes <= 4 and the default behaviour is to end level instantly when all boss monsters of a particular type are dead, only triggering 666 tagged sectors in episodes 1 and 4).

Edited by xttl

Wait. Crispy even supports having a Episode 5. I thought Crispy could only run Sigil_compat wad.

Maybe he's currently in progress of adding specific support for Sigil and testing stuff? I dunno.