Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Does not convince me. ... I'm not "hyped"...

5 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

lmao Romero is getting roasted... Well to be honest it does seem kinda dumb that this is considered news seeing as the new episode is just a new level pack and nothing else...

Thank God my life doesn't suck this bad.That's some sad shit, right there.

And, if you don't totally agree, you prove my point.

2 minutes ago, kb1 said:

Thank God my life doesn't suck this bad

My life is quite enjoyable.

2 minutes ago, kb1 said:

That's some sad shit, right there

Yeah, really sad that people don't like what you like. How dare people be different?

5 minutes ago, kb1 said:

You made no point in the first place.

19 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Obviously not. It requires Doom.wad to run, therefore it is clearly a PWAD. Not sure why there would be debate otherwise?

Port devs can always add some legitimacy with a new episode menu choice, support for E5Mx, if needed, built-in automap level names and the like. Or, it'll be fine as simply a PWAD. A MAPINFO lump, or DeHacked lump/file would suffice as well... perhaps this would be a slightly less "clean" approach, but it'd be better than nothing.

I'd love to see a new intermission pic, maybe with a set of progression pics, like the Tower. The community maybe should contact John and ask about these subjects, to preempt a "sanctioned" setup. Maybe an artist could assist with some graphics, and a port dev, for the map name stuff.

10 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

My life is quite enjoyable.

Yeah, really sad that people don't like what you like. How dare people be different?

You made no point in the first place.

I rest my case.

Edited by kb1

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

that release trailer better not be played on UV-difficulty, because if it is it might be snooze-fest.wad...

It's a Romero wad meant to pick up where E4 left off, of course it's Doom.wad difficulty.

EDIT: In response to your claims that this looks less interesting than AA, I'd take the IWADs over AA any day in terms of interesting maps.

Edited by Cynical

52 minutes ago, kb1 said:

I'd love to see a new intermission pic, maybe with a set of progression pics, like the Tower. The community maybe should contact John and ask about these subjects, to preempt a "sanctioned" setup. Maybe an artist could assist with some graphics, and a port dev, for the map name stuff.

I 100% Agree with you KB1! Would love to see a new Intermission pic along with Progression pics (like the unofficial one we have for Ep4 - i think you're referring to!) 

59 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I'm a little disappointed that it won't be using Doom 2 as the base.

Don't be disappointed. People who are disappointed must be forgetting that DOOM II's 25th Anniversary is coming up September 2019. He'll probably celebrate again then, for that game, in a similar fashion, too. Be grateful my dude.

I saw this come across on Twitter and had to come to Doomworld to reconfirm.

Seems interesting, though - a small shame that this project wasn't unexpectedly dropped on the community on the silver anniversary of the game... But I'll certainly give it a play when it comes out.  Won;t have the money for the limited run stuff though. Hot too much other stuff going on right now money wise.

Tom Hall also stated he'd like to do a level - but after hearing about Romero's idea, thinks he's gonna wait for a bit :) Still so awesome to see all these devs release/talk about the games we still play. 

Wonder if Sandy would do one as well? or American McGee?

I hope Tom jumps on the bandwagon, personally! He should help Romero with E6 shortly after this one comes out (and not leave halfway through development!)

On a mildly unrelated note, I wonder why Romero hasn't worked with Doom II. I know that there's a pretty small sample size of Romero PWADs out there, but all of them are for Doom 1, which is a little bit odd given the scarcity of Doom 1 WADs overall. Perhaps he feels that he can work better with Doom 1. I certainly think his offerings in E1 and E4 are better overall than his Doom 2 creations. He also said at one point that he preferred Doom 1's texture set, which could also be a reason. He can definitely pull off an excellent modern E1 style, as shown in e1m4/8b. It's just that I think that it'd be really cool to see what Romero would come up with for Doom II's expanded resource set.

The fact that Tom Hall held back on making a map because of Romero's project is kinda dissapointing, i really was hoping to see something from him :(
He should had been a 'guest mapper' on Sigil!
mAHXCa8.png

i dont see why this is a reason to delay anything tom please

hell get sandy and mcgee on board too get the whole gang together

If only a Sandy map was possible.  I have to admit, one Sandy map would excite me more than an entire megawad of Romero.

It looks cool but I'm kind of disappointed. The level design looks quite polished and fun but it also looks like most dtwid-like projects almost everyone makes these days. When I saw this thing getting its own webpage and logo, I was expecting to see new enemies, weapons and textures. Not only that but although I fully expect these maps to be fun and great, they don't really compare to the best user-made maps out there. I was expecting to see something that can rival that level of quality. I mean, how is this different from all the user-made megawads out there? If this wasn't made by Romero but by some random Doomworld user, it would be well-received but rather quickly forgotten I think. At least it's free.

Perhaps Romero is just warming up for his next project and wants to show us he's still got it. 

I was a little dissapointed its not going to be limit removing like his tech gone bad, I hear him ( Romero) talking about dropping the wad on the gzdoom.exe so its probably going to be for advanche doom engine and not vanilla compatible, also viewing the video of teaser looks like its for gzdoom, I hope I'm wrong. Btw..did u notice the play in the teaser vid? Lol.. I am wondering is that Romero playing? Also that music.. ( thinks parameters -nomusic) Argh after couple of sec, luckely it doesent come for free with the megawad haha..

If it is limit removing I am exited to play it, great birthday present ( 19 feb my birthday) so cheers for that Mr.Romero

Pff.. My birthday was yesterday.. No sigil., thanks for nothing.. I hate this we have a launch date feb but gets pushed back to april.. Arghh!! 

Edited by doomaddict82

2 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Romero has said in the stream that if this box sells well he will absolutely do another one for Doom II, including releasing the wad itself for free.

*Buys Sigil immediately*

50 minutes ago, doomaddict82 said:

I was a little dissapointed its not going to be limit removing like his tech gone bad

Everything I've read points to it being limit-removing, just like his recent maps. GZDoom is just the Romero-approved port he's suggesting.

34 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Everything I've read points to it being limit-removing, just like his recent maps. GZDoom is just the Romero-approved port he's suggesting.

I hope it can be played in PrBoom+ or Eternity without major glitches. Or even under Doom+, though I expect to see tutti frutti glitches.

42 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Oh good. Now I thought my English is less bad ;P

9 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

"A lot of gamers got excited yesterday when John Romero announced that his new project would be unveiled today. However, it appears that this new “John Romero” game is just a megawad for the original Doom and nothing more."

lmao Romero is getting roasted.

Well to be honest it does seem kinda dumb that this is considered news seeing as the new episode is just a new level pack and nothing else. I mean there are like 5 million Doom mods/level packs already. What makes these levels special other than the fact Romero made them? There are arguably even better level designers already in the Doom community.

What makes a pair of Nike sneakers better than random kicks? It's Nike. It's the same with Romero maps. Besides, I honestly can't see anything other than Castle's and Squibs work (who made NRFTL) which can be labelled as a commercial style episode/mapset/megawad. There are a lot of great content in the community, but they either use graphic elements that has a different stlye to classic Doom, they progress harder or they are way too difficult for an average player. Or there are those imitations like DTWID, but you know, those have good levels, but still not the original they are copying. Romero's levels feel like commercial works, even when they are completely free. The same can be said when NRFTL authors created free wads, those had that commercial vibe too.

The same can be said about Duke 3D, and other games. There is a cornucopia of great content in the fandom, but when the father of the game (Allen Blum) returned to mapping 2 years ago, he blew away everything.

5 hours ago, kb1 said:

Thank God my life doesn't suck this bad.That's some sad shit, right there.

Watching someone get disappointed that someone else isn't as fanboy-ish as he is, indeed, some sad shit.

13 hours ago, Nevander said:

I'm seeing far too much salt in the other thread and here for such a epic event. Who gives a damn who made Doom? Who cares that it's not a whole new game? Do you guys realize that these are more new maps made by a level designer from the original company over 20 years later? That kind of thing is unheard of. Most devs move on and only goes where the money is. We need more devs like Romero who actually care about the communities surrounding his previous work. I for one am quite happy and super excited.

This is the BFG of comments.  I agree with this so fucking much... and this is the first I've heard of this and I'm H Y P E D

Romero won't be upset. There are like 3-4 people with salty comments, 90% here are extremely happy with the news.

Those who enjoy maps with 9000 Revenants and 1000 Archviles should play their random favourite slaughterwad instead.

I think it is fantastic that one of the major Iwad mappers would produce new maps for us to play. The attention it hrings can only be good for the game and for sites like this. I am looking for to playing it.

10 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

There are arguably even better level designers already in the Doom community.

Why should that mean that an original id Software employee shouldn't be celebrated for returning to mapping?

Even if there are "better mappers" in our own community, the fact that Romero even still wants to make maps for Doom is a great thing in and of itself. I'm not going to act like Romero is nothing just because he didn't make BTSX or something. Tech Gone Bad was a pretty good map, and he has shown that he still knows a thing or two about what makes a map interesting.  I'm not gonna pretend like it's the second coming of Christ or expect to be blown away, but that's not really the point. The point is that Romero is demonstrating that he still recognizes that Doom still has a thriving community and wants to foster it some more by adding onto it. Even if it's not your thing or w/e, it's still very cool that he's doing this in the first place.

Edited by Sparktimus