Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

But what's John really thinking? Could it be something along the lines of... this?

"All right, December 10th, the 25th anniversary, let's do this, it'll be the main event... what's this? Eviternity? It's got what?! I didn't even know that was possible! I can't go up against that, I'm going to have to reschedule. How about... February? February should be okay."

"Finally. The two months are up. Sigil can safely secure the spotlight this time. Now that they've had plenty of time to enjoy Eviter... oh. Of course. February's when they really release Eviternity. Looks like I'm going to have to wait another two months."

i personally don't mind waiting too. if i'd pay for a box, i'd be very pissed seeing people playing SIGIL while i am still waiting for my own thing to come. we're waited for more than 20 years already, so i can wait some more. ;-)

2 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

But what's John really thinking? Could it be something along the lines of... this?

He's well aware that the better mappers in this community outperform him by a significant margin, so the answer to your question is "no".

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

With all due respect, I can wait two months. There's some games I kickstarted in like 2015 that still aren't out yet, after all, and has blown two different release deadlines.

But to be fair, that game broke literally every single stretch goal they set for it twice, so anyone expecting them to do everything we stretched for in a mere 18 months is insane.

I want to know about this game, David Hayter voice acting peaks my intrest.

4 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I want to know about this game, David Hayter voice acting peaks my intrest.

Well, Koji Igarashi is pretty literally the guy who invented the Metroidvania as we know them today as well. (Although he's using the term "Igavania" here.)

There's video of the backer demos on Youtube, shouldn't be too hard to find.

And of course, one of those stretch goals also got us the excellent Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, which is a throwback to the Castlevania NES era (most specifically, Castlevania III), and serves as a prequel to the main game itself.

Of course, a few of those stretch goals are technically no longer true: Nintendo dropped support for the Wii U so that version got dropped, and the PS Vita can't acceptably handle the game, so that also got dropped. (However, a Nintendo Switch version is in their place, and everyone who bought into it for those versions were allowed to convert to a different platform or get a full refund, so nobody "lost" money.)

Upset the wad itself is delayed too because of the physical stuff. Oh well, there's a number of games that just came out, I can wait.

Also, what does other game's kickstarters and a ridiculously tall image of stretch goals have anything to do with Sigil or a delay?

2 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Upset the wad itself is delayed too because of the physical stuff. Oh well, there's a number of games that just came out, I can wait.

Also, what does other game's kickstarters and a ridiculously tall image of stretch goals have anything to do with Sigil or a delay?

The fact that a few people are acting like it's the end of the world because of a two-month delay, or seriously suggesting that the free WAD should be released now, meaning the people who paid money will have paid money for something that will already be "old news" to the community.

Compared to waiting approximately 4 years and two prior deadlines blown, two months is nothing.

You also don't generally piss off the people who gave you money just to please those who didn't. So they're gonna have to wait. I'm sure there's plenty of other games they can play in the next eight weeks or so.

April eh?

Well, since that the wad was announced in december and passed 2 months only to be delayed for 2 more months, I'd say that 2 more months are nothing. It'll pass quite fast before you know it.

Edit: it could be my perfect gift for my birthday in that month...17...

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

It'd be pretty crappy if the people who paid nothing got to play it earlier while those of us who forked over actual cash money had to wait until April, even if we get a fancier version.

Those who paid could download free WAD too and wait for boxes while playing it. Anyway now i lost any interest in SIGIL completely.

Just now, Rimantas said:

Those who paid could download free WAD too and wait for boxes while playing it. Anyway now i lost any interest in SIGIL completely.

But then what's the point of the boxes? You'd spend $40 or $180 for a couple of feelies and some new music, because you've already played the WAD.

No thank you, I'm much happier that everyone gets it all at once.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

fanservice

Yes, fanservice which also would be moot if he just released the WAD and two months later, here comes the shiny box that we'll never have a reason to look into and play, because we (and everyone else) played it two months ago.

So the only reason we'd open the box is if we really, really, REALLY liked the feelies inside.

47 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The fact that a few people are acting like it's the end of the world because of a two-month delay, or seriously suggesting that the free WAD should be released now, meaning the people who paid money will have paid money for something that will already be "old news" to the community.

Compared to waiting approximately 4 years and two prior deadlines blown, two months is nothing.

You also don't generally piss off the people who gave you money just to please those who didn't. So they're gonna have to wait. I'm sure there's plenty of other games they can play in the next eight weeks or so.

That warranted an almost 4,000 pixel tall image? :P

I bought the beast box to get some goodies and support a future wad. I already got charged, I'd love to play the wad ASAP, but that's just me and I can wait.

3 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

That warranted an almost 4,000 pixel tall image? :P

Spoiler-tagged, now the future arthritis in your scroll wheel finger will be delayed by approximately 1 day.

Good lord, I love this Sigil box artwork! Who cares if it‘s delayed, there is plenty of stuff to play and it‘s free so... ?!

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

So the only reason we'd open the box is if we really, really, REALLY liked the feelies inside.

Why would you even buy that version if you don't care about what's inside the box?

Just now, KVELLER said:

Why would you even buy that version if you don't care about what's inside the box?

I would, which is why I did. But to get it two months later after everyone else played the WAD for free, when I paid moolah? That's a bit of a slap.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I would, which is why I did. But to get it two months later after everyone else played the WAD for free, when I paid moolah? That's a bit of a slap.

But aren't you technically paying only for the extra goodies anyway? You aren't buying the WAD per se.

Just now, KVELLER said:

But aren't you technically paying only for the extra goodies anyway? You aren't buying the WAD per se.

Yeah, I am. And I don't have a problem with that.

I *WOULD* have a problem where people who didn't pay the money for it, got to play the WAD earlier than people who did pay money for the deluxe-o version. And while you could argue I could play the free version too in that case, it'd essentially mean that it will have worn out its welcome by the time the deluxe-o version got to my doorstep, because I'd have already played it, and have very little incentive to do so unless Buckethead's music is transformational to the WAD's experience (which it probably wouldn't be), or unless there was some extra goodies the free players didn't get that are more than just the feelies.

What if the Buckethead music version was sent out digitally to those that have paid for the physical copies?

Everyone gets to play the wad at the original release date, and those that paid get the music version now with the physical goodies coming later.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yeah, I am. And I don't have a problem with that.

I *WOULD* have a problem where people who didn't pay the money for it, got to play the WAD earlier than people who did pay money for the deluxe-o version. And while you could argue I could play the free version too in that case, it'd essentially mean that it will have worn out its welcome by the time the deluxe-o version got to my doorstep, because I'd have already played it, and have very little incentive to do so unless Buckethead's music is transformational to the WAD's experience (which it probably wouldn't be), or unless there was some extra goodies the free players didn't get that are more than just the feelies.

If you put all your posts together, what you're really telling us is that you don't care about the WAD, you don't really care about the goodies, and you don't really care about the soundtrack. All you really care about is that you paid money, and you'd be angry if anyone got to enjoy the FREE WAD before your paid-for extra merchandise arrives. It's pretty childish and petty when you lay it bare.

6 minutes ago, TheGamePhilosophe said:

If you put all your posts together, what you're really telling us is that you don't care about the WAD, you don't really care about the goodies, and you don't really care about the soundtrack. All you really care about is that you paid money, and you'd be angry if anyone got to enjoy the FREE WAD before your paid-for extra merchandise arrives. It's pretty childish and petty when you lay it bare.

Oh, I care plenty about the WAD. I wouldn't have paid money if I didn't. Nor would I have bought into it if I didn't want the goodies, which includes the soundtrack.

But yes, one of the basic rules of business is that you don't give the thing that's for free out before the thing that costs money, unless the thing that costs money includes things the free version does not, which right now is purely down to the feelies as I call them - the statue, thumb drive, book, etc. depending on which version you got.

But since the WAD will be identical, and (let's be honest) the WAD is mostly what everyone wants, if he released the WAD now for everyone and the deluxe versions to those who gave him money two months later, the majority of the community will have already played it, enjoyed it, and moved on, as opposed to it being an experience everyone got to enjoy at the same time.

That is what matters to me - that those of us who paid money get to enjoy our versions at the same time as everyone else.

If that's childish, then so be it. I don't think it's particularly childish to expect people who didn't pay a dime towards the thing to wait patiently while those of us who paid actual, physical money also have to wait patiently, but to each their own.

Disappointed in the delay to say the least. I have been made a bitch out of. You hear me Romero?! A bitch, truly!

Edited by Jimmy

9 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

But since the WAD will be identical, and (let's be honest) the WAD is mostly what everyone wants, if he released the WAD now for everyone and the deluxe versions to those who gave him money two months later, the majority of the community will have already played it, enjoyed it, and moved on, as opposed to it being an experience everyone got to enjoy at the same time.

We're having this discussion on a site dedicated to a game that came out in 1993. The people looking forward to this WAD are doing so precisely because they have never "moved on." Which is cool.

But if it's important to you to be in on the ground floor, so to speak, I don't see why you couldn't just get the free WAD. You yourself have already said the other stuff doesn't really alter the WAD itself. In my mind, all the goodies are essentially collector's items. Meaning they're just as good now as two months from now or two years from now.

Sweet, excited. *cough* Daikatana 2 *cough*  

Spoiler

I'm kidding. But, can't what to see what's been cooking.