Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

4 hours ago, chowbar said:

If I recall from his SIGIL streams, Romero said that it would be limit removing only. I’m pretty sure it’s not ZDoom exclusive. 

Yes but unintentional zdoomisms can cause problems. We've seen this so many times with limit removing projects where the author thinks that just because his map format is vanilla and he isn't using Zdoom features, it will be fine on limit removing ports.

But because they test on GZDoom on default options there's a good chance players on other ports will face unintended visual or gameplay weirdness.

18 minutes ago, VGA said:

Yes but unintentional zdoomisms can cause problems. We've seen this so many times with limit removing projects where the author thinks that just because his map format is vanilla and he isn't using Zdoom features, it will be fine on limit removing ports.

But because they test on GZDoom on default options there's a good chance players on other ports will face unintended visual or gameplay weirdness.

Which is why it's the mapper's responsibility to test it against multiple engines if they say it will work in multiple engines, yes? 

1 hour ago, VGA said:

A recent example was of Lunar Catastrophe (where the authors were not aware of the secret exit issue)

When Xaser did his take on a fifth episode, he made it Eternity compatible specifically for the demo community. Then no one recorded any demos for it. :( Point is, if the maps are really separate from the IWAD's and need a mapinfo-compatible port, it'd be easy to make a patch for Eternity and use that for recording/playing demos. Pretty sure Odamex would do okay too.

Romero tested his 2016 maps in Crispy, so I'm sure he'll do the same for this. It does have the option to disable infinite height, but I have this maybe completely illogical feeling that he just takes a port's default settings for granted and doesn't tinker that much with them.

4 hours ago, VGA said:

To be fair this isn't just a ZDoom thing. Rylayeh is meant to be a limit removing wad, and if you play it with Boom's default settings (like the author seems to have done) it seems fine, but then if you try it with something stricter...

Spoiler

Rfx0fSB.png

whaaaaaaaaaat

zlNLnHa.png

gaaaaaaasp

f3JjFop.png

this matches lovecraft's description of this place perfectly, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

5 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

When Xaser did his take on a fifth episode, he made it Eternity compatible specifically for the demo community. Then no one recorded any demos for it. :(

I must be the only person who liked the Lost Episode.

Between Xaser, Christen Klie, Bob Carter, and now Romero, that's what... Five lost episodes of Doom?

Funny how much of it got lost... 

I can't believe I missed this interview when it came out. It's chock full o' gems!

Very interesting bit here where Romero shows that he felt pressure to match current design quality if he were to attempt making more levels (this was back in 2013).

We need to get all the old school nostalgia fanboys to sign a petition for Romero to make another "1993" doom episode. :D Who's with me? 

ZZZzzzzZZZzzz  petition this, petition that.

No, when he feels like it, he releases stuff.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:01 AM, ReaperAA said:

A recent example was of Lunar Catastrophe (where the authors were not aware of the secret exit issue)

It mostly works in EE. I even made an emapinfo patch. Just one map has a trigger in front of the first door, oh well.

6 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

There's a blast from the past. :)

I know. I fucking hated those commercials, too, since this was the time I'd learned to build my own PCs and just rolled my eyes, knowing I could build a better system for about 75% of the price, or an even better one for the one they claimed.

1999 technology at 2004 prices!

3 hours ago, VGA said:

What PC are you using there?!

The Computer, that i used for that photo says *Hyrican* on it's front. I bought it on a flea market very cheap. I'm not a wizard with the screw-driver, but from time to time i'm in the mood to toy around with it. I actually can play DOOM with it. I used it for the Photo, because it looks better than the computer with my current every day operating system: The USB-slots on that very newer one's front are not accessible for my bulky self-made USB-Stick-Floppy. It has a USB-slot on it's back, that is accessible for my piece of work. It just does not look very good. There is in this case just like very often a reason for not presenting back-sides to the public.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Dude, did you get a Dell!?

I have an old Dell Notebook, that is useful for playing DOOM, Duke3d, and Quake, when on vacation.

Greetings

Funduke

2 hours ago, Jon said:

@funduke but does the floppy still work too?

That would be cool! But no, it doesn't. That USB-Stick is slim, but still takes much too much room to leave space for that rotating disk, and the puffer clothes, that are placed on it's up and down sides. So i ripped those parts away and inserted the USB-Stick in the shell.

The really required part of a USB-Stick is much smaller, than what we hold in our hands. It might be possible, to find an USB-Stick, that can be ripped apart without harming it's core. I will look out for something like that.

It will be also interesting to see, if the Ion Maiden and SIGIL people are able to reach the goal of keeping the floppy functional.

Greetings

Funduke

10 hours ago, funduke said:

I wanted to find out, how hard it is, to make a Floppy with build-in USB-Stick, like in the Founders Edition of Ion Maiden ( http://www.ionmaiden.com/ ) and the boxed editions of SIGIL.

I bought a very flat Uflatek 16 GB USB-Stick here: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JGDG8ZF/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

flatusbstick.jpg.7e2d3fdcc71c9eccf5e9565f0fdb9a9b.jpg

And used some stuff, that was already floating around in my home:

bastelzeug.jpg.6b4fc74e09bef1681c7fbd7e2539de5b.jpg

The result was this:

usbfloppysigil.jpg.e12c4c8aef0b4ab8b613846b56d34212.jpg

In my version, the electric contact part of the USB-Stck can't be moved in and out of the Floppy. That does require more technical know-how, equipment and patience. And i can be happy, when it's parts don't fall apart.

But - Hey! It works!

thisworks.jpg.b489d24fdd2fe3719c5ea30ea4d5b7b8.jpg

.. As long, as there is enough space around the USB-Port, because the Floppy needs more space around it, than a normal USB-Stick.

Because of it's fragility, i believe that this part of the boxed versions of SIGIL is the main reason of the delay. It's hard, to create something like this, that does not turn into trash in the moment of it's very first use.

Anyhow, it's fun, to create stuff like this.

Greetings

Funduke

WHOOOAAA!!!! I wish I was born. But, I'm 15 years old...

I think I'd have tried attaching the USB key to the metal cover so that it sticks out (from the other side of the case, the one with the arrow instead of the one with the "HD" logo) when you push the cover.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

I think I'd have tried attaching the USB key to the metal cover so that it sticks out (from the other side of the case, the one with the arrow instead of the one with the "HD" logo) when you push the cover.

I considered something like that, but there are surveys on the inner side of the plastic shell, that keep everything at it's place. It might be possible, to remove them strategically without harming the rest. but that requires special tools, time and patience.

But there is still a lot time to beat until april! :)

Besides that, i discovered and ordered some even smaller USB-Sticks on ebay.

Greetings

Funduke

Can't wait for this! I'm getting psyched as they say in Wolf3d. Listening to some of those streams earlier, podcast style, not watching the gameplay much to keep it fresh later. This is gonna be excellent. Cool that he'll be messing with a different theme here, with the hell stuff, but with that especially cohesive Romero vibe to it as well.

I'm excited for Sigil now, I've been watching a ton of Carmack and Romero vids on youtube all week...

I don't know if anyone has seen this (from rome.ro):

EDIT: If you email info@romerogames.com and tell us that you missed the SIGIL box ordering window we will enter you in the list of people who want to order. We cannot guarantee that we can help get you a box, and it will most likely be more expensive than it was during the ordering window.

Don't forget to tell him to give a special signature to your beast box. Congratulations! :)