Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

51 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

When ID Software were looking after Romero's work, games were produced in MONTHS.

When that DM-head had to look after works by himself, game took YEARS and piles of millions to make.

Then he returns to last good game he helped to make and tries to milk money from it. But still fails to finish it in time.

Romero's part of the work has been finished for a while; it's the physical goodies that caused delays. All you can blame him for is that he wants to wait until the physical boxes have shipped before doing the online release, so that people who bought the goodies will get a chance to play before the others.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

When ID Software were looking after Romero's work, games were produced in MONTHS.

When that DM-head had to look after works by himself, game took YEARS and piles of millions to make.

Then he returns to last good game he helped to make and tries to milk money from it. But still fails to finish it in time.

In my point of view Romero is not smarter than Beavis & Butt-Head. "Yeah yeah, money is cool."

Most of the games ID made in those days were 2D and much simpler to do and I'm sure things were running more smoothly with Carmack and everyone on board. Romero didn't really have as effective team after ID either. So I might understand the piling years into the development with advanced tech at the time. Though Romero did a huge disservice to hire a bunch of modders for Daikatana, at least that's what I heard from his comments, so I can't really back up that statement though he did have 9 artists for the game with a licensed engine. And I think the switch to Quake 2 might be the killing factor coupled with bad execution/design. Regarding his production since then, If you look at his track record, it's not like he has been slacking since Doom. With delayed Sigil, the megawad itself isn't unfinished. It's the Limited Run Games screwing up this time. I'm pretty sure Romero wouldn't have started advertising it back in last christmas if he wasn't confident on the product from his part of it. He did work on it during his spare time. 

"Yeah yeah, money is cool."

It's not like the Megawad costs anything. It's the consumers' choice to buy limited time editions after all. It was a pretty neat surprise for Doom's 25th anniversary. 

Edited by SamuelNMEvander

Why are we all bickering about Romero's past again?  I'm just excited to play it, tbh.  No hero worship here.  I thought the maps he released were lots of fun and I will happily play this new stuff he releases.

The WAD looked fun in the streams but I wonder if it will be as good as No Rest for the Living. I think it's the best IWAD right now.

26 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

The WAD looked fun in the streams but I wonder if it will be as good as No Rest for the Living. I think it's the best IWAD right now.

I agree that NRFTL was the most polished and fun thing on the official side of classic Doom content, but personally if it's as fun as most of E1M8b I'm good.

1 minute ago, Kira said:

I agree that NRFTL was the most polished and fun thing on the official side of classic Doom content, but personally if it's as fun as most of E1M8b I'm good.

I wish Id made more of those episodes, maybe even as a tie-in to the new games. On the same note, I hope Bethesda will give their blessing to Sigil.

So much drama. I guess I am alone to think Doom2's level design is exceptional and better than Doom 1 in every way. *Shrugs*

Looking forward to Sigil though.

Just now, kristus said:

So much drama. I guess I am alone to think Doom2's level design is exceptional and better than Doom 1 in every way. *Shrugs*

It's better but uglier too. NRFTL is still the best IWAD so far.

Well, that just like your opinion man.

;)

EDIT: It's certainly a lot more abstract, and that is what I love about it visually. 

2 minutes ago, kristus said:

;)

EDIT: It's certainly a lot more abstract, and that is what I love about it visually. 

You can make it abstract and not ugly at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, kristus said:

;)

One man's shit is another man's sceptre, after all.

1 hour ago, kristus said:

You are far from alone (in fact I agree with you). I want to see how Romero tries to make Doom 1 difficult/fresh with this episode on the other hand.

6 hours ago, Rimantas said:

In my point of view Romero is not smarter than Beavis & Butt-Head. "Yeah yeah, money is cool."

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Romero got to ride into id on the coattails of John Carmack.  Carmack did all of the grunt work.  Romero wrote some of the map-editing software, but all he did beyond that, was to write a few levels.  If it hadn't been for the hard work of people like John Carmack, American McGee, Kevin Cloud, Adrian Carmack, and all of the rest of the people at id, John Romero's name would have been one which prompted "Who's that?" any time anyone said it, and nothing more.

In fact, John Romero stopped working pretty much all together after the release of Doom.  He had to be constantly cajoled back into working.  If the other people at id weren't on his backside all the time to keep working, John Romero would have been content to sit and play all day long.

On top of that, Romero was very busy sucking up the adulation Doom brought to id.  That is the main reason anyone knows who he is.  He was a spotlight-whore and a camera-hound.  If he would have been doing what he was supposed to be doing, namely working in the game-making trenches with the rest of id's staff, John Romero's name would have pretty obscure.

6 hours ago, SOSU said:

Romero evil >:(

Not evil necessarily.  But an idiot?  Very possibly.

8 hours ago, Kira said:

It's "5" because there's a fifth horseman of the apocalypse, and his name is Barefootstallion.

LOL!  Now I'm famous! :D

3 minutes ago, Barefootstallion said:

Not evil necessarily.  But an idiot?  Very possibly.

No >:o if he were an idiot he couldn't have made those sexy maps plus he wouldn't be a good coder so he's evil >:OOO

Just now, SOSU said:

No >:o if he were an idiot he couldn't have made those sexy maps plus he wouldn't be a good coder so he's evil >:OOO

LOL!  OK.  I'll concede that there is probably an argument to be made there. XD

2 hours ago, kristus said:

1 hour ago, Kira said:

You are far from alone (in fact I agree with you). I want to see how Romero tries to make Doom 1 difficult/fresh with this episode on the other hand.

Count me too.

Perhaps not in every single department (I will admit that the texturing isn't great in some levels), but otherwise, I take Doom 2 over UD too. But it does seem to be a minority opinion here.

1 hour ago, Barefootstallion said:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Romero got to ride into id on the coattails of John Carmack.  Carmack did all of the grunt work.  Romero wrote some of the map-editing software, but all he did beyond that, was to write a few levels.  If it hadn't been for the hard work of people like John Carmack, American McGee, Kevin Cloud, Adrian Carmack, and all of the rest of the people at id, John Romero's name would have been one which prompted "Who's that?" any time anyone said it, and nothing more.

Code Romero also wrote:

• TEd, which through various iterations was the level editor for 33 different games
  • DoomEd, their Doom map editor on NEXTSTEP
  • QuakeEd, ditto but for Quake
  • DeathManager
  • DWANGO Client
  • IGRAB, an internal tool id used to grab data lumps to put into WAD files
  • All the setup-related code, up to and including Quake
  • The SETUP programs used to configure the games themselves
  • Various actual functions in Doom, including (but not limited to):
    • Saving and loading games
    • Flickering lights
    • Doors
    • Rising stairs
    • Crushing ceilings

You may well not like Romero's levels and think his hype is overblown, but you are seriously, seriously shortselling Romero if all you view him as is "the guy who designed some levels."

59 minutes ago, Barefootstallion said:

You have a lot to learn about game development. Carmack is an excellent developer, but he did virtually none of the creative things. After Romero left id software did nothing particular interesting. Quake is known for its amazing game engine, NOT its game. It is clear that Carmack primarily cares about engines, not games.

What made id software special with Doom was the fact they managed to create a full team of people that each did their role. Romero's role here was tweaking the game play and adding the things required for that to the editor. There was nobody else in their team doing this. He was also very good at making levels. Once several of the original people left id software the company stopped doing interesting releases in my opinion.

2 hours ago, kristus said:

Doom 2 is good for the first 6 levels. I'll give you that.

4 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

Map08 is good

13 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

Chasm is one of the best iWAD maps that exist, and I'll knife-fight you in a back alley if you disagree ;-)

7 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Wasn't that because Id Software was smart enough to reject (or at least massively pare down) everything Tom Hall suggested, while John Romero just went with everything Tom Hall said?

15 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

You have a lot to learn about game development. Carmack is an excellent developer, but he did virtually none of the creative things. After Romero left id software did nothing particular interesting. Quake is known for its amazing game engine, NOT its game. It is clear that Carmack primarily cares about engines, not games.

What made id software special with Doom was the fact they managed to create a full team of people that each did their role. Romero's role here was tweaking the game play and adding the things required for that to the editor. There was nobody else in their team doing this. He was also very good at making levels. Once several of the original people left id software the company stopped doing interesting releases in my opinion.

I mean, yeah, that explains why Doom 2 is so weird. Mostly carried by American McGee's levels, while Sandy psyched out.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:09 PM, GarrettChan said:

Map08 is good

Sorry, you won't see me defending "Tricks & Traps."

Edited by SamuelNMEvander : see*

1 minute ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

I mean, yeah, that explains why Doom 2 is so weird. Mostly carried by American McGee's levels, while Sandy psyched out.

My take on Doom 2 was that it was a filler product intended to bring in some money and keep the creative part of the team busy while Carmack and his engine team worked on Quake.

I don't know how much Romeo did of the work on Doom 2, but if I am to guess it wasn't particular much. My impression has been that after Doom he went into heavy idling mode, using the delayed Quake engine as his excuse for slacking. Which I'm guessing eventually caused the conflict where Carmack sacked him from id software.

6 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

Sorry, you won't hear me defending "Tricks & Traps."

Sorry, I didn't intend to hear anything from you at the start. That's why I didn't even bother putting a period

33 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

That explains why I can't stand playing Quake II for more than 3 minutes without uninstalling it forever, that, and why I've never finished DOOM 3, I can't stand that game for more than 1 hour, and I've tried so many times to beat it, but I find it terribly boring, soulless and uninspired.