Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

I've never recorded before, but someone messaged me asking me to put up a vid of the first level - And I'm an obliging man. Please don't mind the video quality or the noob way I'm playing.

Had a nasty bug in map 4

Spoiler

In the room with the ceiling crushers and sergeants, what is suppose to happen is you shoot the eye behind one of the sergeants and doors open up letting you proceed. I don't know what happened, but at some point it was triggered but doors never opened. Maybe the sergeant on the opposite side triggered it but it caused issues? I have no idea, but the map became impossible to complete because of it.

*edit* Figured it out

Spoiler

If you shoot it at the wrong angle, its possible to close the wall in front of the eye without your projectile ever hitting the wall with a trigger that opens the doors. In other words, you have to shoot it directly or you break the map and can't proceed.

Edited by wheresthebeef

2 hours ago, Okgo5555 said:

Has anyone else had any issues with the shootable eye triggers breaking occasionally?

The problem is that there are two gunshot lines for every of the eye triggers - one that opens up level progression and one that closes off the evil eye. If you shoot from an angle, it is possible to hit just the latter in some cases. It has never happened to me during any of the testing, so I didn't even know it was an issue, but then it did yesterday, softlocked us in a coop game and I instantly realized what was going on, heh. Oops!

2 hours ago, Mr. Duk said:

I bought the big box, but live on the west coast, meaning I won't get it until Monday (which is really Tuesday). The tracking number says it's only 60 miles way, too. Are there any links to download it? Next week is busy for me so I'm probably SOL until next weekend :(

Does the pay link offer an ability to download it for free if you've already bought the box?

Waiting sucks, it's 2019, I expect everything to be instant!! /s

Yes, buying SIGIL from this link will send a download link to your email, from which you can load and install SIGIL: https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il

2 hours ago, Mr. Duk said:

If there is a link out there but it doesn't have the Buckethead music I'm fine with that. I'll have the real thing by Tuesday anyway. I'm definitely going to play through it twice.

You can access Buckethead music by dragging all the individual SIGIL files together onto GZDOOM.exe (make sure Doom1 wad is in the directory) and selecting the EP3 replacement of SIGIL with no bleeding effect on the font. If there is no Buckethead, exit and repeat until the music is MP3 and not MIDI and you will unlock Buckethead. That's how I got it to work.

10 minutes ago, dew said:

I didn't even know it was an issue, but then it did yesterday, softlocked us in a coop game and I instantly realized what was going on, heh. Oops!

There must be a law of reality that makes any human creation fails after it's been thoroughly battle tested.

My thoughts on the wad

Spoiler

I really enjoyed it. There were a few hiccups here and there (inescapable pits can get stuffed) but overall it was very fun with some pretty creative sections. It was cool to see Cyberdemons being used as much as they were. This will definitely be great to play in like a years time when it's settled into being an official (more or less) Doom wad rather than just another new wad (that's how I perceive it). It definitely stands on it's own as a wad though, it's not just 'average but Romero made it so it's really cool'.

23 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

Does SIGIL_SHREDS_COMPAT.wad actually work for anybody?

Are you using a port that supports mp3 playback? Crispy won't do, but prboom-plus should work just fine if you load shreds after the main wad.

c:\doom\prboom-plus\prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom -file SIGIL_COMPAT SIGIL_SHREDS_COMPAT

5 minutes ago, dew said:

Are you using a port that supports mp3 playback? Crispy won't do, but prboom-plus should work just fine if you load shreds after the main wad.

c:\doom\prboom-plus\prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom -file SIGIL_COMPAT SIGIL_SHREDS_COMPAT

I see, makes sense actually. Well then it's only half-compat with the music :P

32 minutes ago, dew said:

Weird.. I used the same setting as you provided here, and the music doesn't work. I directly loaded both WADs through the launcher, and it also doesn't work. Did I miss something on Pr/GLBoom+ in order to playback Mp3?

9 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

i already know i fail at life, thanks for reminding me

Failing is good if you learn from it. Maybe you'll be another man entirely by next week when SIGIL is officially available for free, since it's a long time.

E5M7 was kinda bullshit towards the end, and E5M8 sucked. The rest of the maps were great though, with very consistent theming and some fresh ideas.

SIGIL certainly is a priority for me (my channel) once it's available to the rest of us.

On E5M4, 12 health bonuses are outside the singleplayer area, preventing the player from getting 100% items on the map.

Edit: I just realised that the DM area on this map resembles Map01 from Doom 2. Also explains why the health bonuses are there.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Here's a full playthrough if anyone is interested

I love how the occasional quickloads flash the sigil logo for a split second like some sort of satanic subliminal messaging.

So I'm guessing this has can discussed somewhere, but I can't find it: How is SIGIL supposed to follow Thy Flesh Consumed, plot-wise? 

My understanding was that Thy Flesh Consumed took place on Earth, much like Doom II. So does Sigil transport you back to Hell, and then you go back to Earth afterward? 

I understand that it's not "important" (Carmack), but I always feel the need to have everything logically connected.

3 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Thy Flesh Consumed took place on Earth

I always was under the impression that E4 was doomguy getting out of hell and back to the "normal earth".

25 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I always was under the impression that E4 was doomguy getting out of hell and back to the "normal earth".

Yeah it looks like it's the "corridor" between Hell and Earth. You could see E4 as the deleted scenes of what happens between E3M8 and the burning city.

Now does that make Sigil the deleted scenes right after E4M8? Doom's plot is complicated.