Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

5 hours ago, Noiser said:

I can't care less about Gman's opinion. He is the same guy who said that Plutonia is "not good" with "artificially-increased difficulty" (lol) and put it below Doom 3 as the worse Doom game ever:

He is entitled to his opinion, but I can't take him seriously after that.

I thought both episodes of Final Doom and Doom 64 were all better than Doom 2's level design.

Gmanlives: Its hard in some places, enemies are like bulletsponges and theres not enough ammo/health.etc 

also Gmanlives: I play on hard. 

1 hour ago, Epyo said:

Ahhhh I thought about it, and I see what we're confused about now, it's not broken actually.  Hiding my explanation with spoiler tag just out of politeness:

Reveal hidden contents

This is E5M4 we're talking about btw.

Each switch is marked with a color, but the color does not represent which key you need; the color represents what the switch does--which colored bars get opened up by the switch.  

The level is not broken, because, you need to go down all three pathways of the level, to get all three switches to appear!  But as soon as you see each switch, you can go ahead and hit it, and open up its bars.

Now that I think about it, classic doom probably doesn't even let you make key-restricted switches anyway, does it...

That makes sense actually lmao. I am going to go back thru the first 4 levels I've done anyways, to look around and explore more. I didn't even think about that..

Gman's review in a nutshell:

"wah iT'S noT dOOm 2016 RiP n TEAr "YOU Are Teh knigHtMAre" SiMUlatoR"

Honestly, the premise of SIGIL being more Action Horror Orientated "Becoming an Ubermensch simulator" intrigues my interest, because IMO that would be the definitive DooM 1 experience, a-la RE2make.

29 minutes ago, J Bro said:

I thought both episodes of Final Doom and Doom 64 were all better than Doom 2's level design.

I mean, if it's a list of "the best Doom game", I find it weird how he chose Doom 3 over Doom 2, Doom 64, Plutonia and TNT. And then... suddenly, Doom 1 is the best one (???). 

It's a very weird list. Sounds like he doesn't even played these games very much, or at least it's not very skilled at them.

Edited by Noiser

1 minute ago, XLightningStormL said:

Honestly, the premise of SIGIL being more Action Horror Orientated "Becoming an Ubermensch simulator" intrigues my interest, because IMO that would be the definitive DooM 1 experience, a-la RE2make.

Aaahahhaahaaa. I call him G, h I j k l m n o p man. I honestly couldn't believe what I heard as it was playing. I literally said out loud "Dude, do you even DooM?" Constructive criticism is one thing but he just doesn't know wth he is talking about, understand the concept of SIGIL and what it's about. 

To be honest though, gggman isn't really worth watching anymore.
He always tries to be "brutally-honest, "cynical", "neutral" in his reviews; yet sometimes he failed. Whenever he failed though, he tries to be salty in the comments to defend people from boycotting him.

Spoiler

His Anthem review is a good example.
Fistful of Frags, also. 
The Blood remaster, in which he claims to have played Blood to the point he "known it like the back of his ***"; yet he can't point out (or just ignore) the flaws of the port. 
Sometimes he also tries to be neutral through his Aliens: CM review or FO76 review.

At this point, the only thing that makes him worth watching is his older videos, from 2015 downward. They helped me a lot.

---
But looking at his like/dislike ratio of Sigil's review, looks like his fanbase is believing him; defending him and he still has a point. So I guess the wad still has some flaws, but not to the extent like in the review. Let's just wait for CV-11 to jump in.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

I don't care about the bad reviews, I am dying to play this. Only four more days.... meh!

Can we lay off the comparative-literature arguments about various Youtube old school gamer cranks?

I think the idea of shooting the eyes is funny in a way if you think of it as they are the devils way of watching you. Yet you keep poking his his eyes and he progressively gets more miffed throughout the episode

1 hour ago, XLightningStormL said:

Indeed, that's the same impression that I've got from his review. I guess he's gotten soft from playing all those (paid) Bethesda games lately. Romero made him his bitch, and it shows.

This image cracked me up:

Spoiler

uzNqFgm.png

As for me, I'll wait till the WAD comes out and give it a fair shake, looking forward to it!

I just finished on HMP and had a blast, but I've got to go back in on UV and find the secret level and listen to the MIDI soundtrack. Sigil is exactly what I wanted it to be as it feels like classic Doom at its meanest. I didn't feel the lack of enemy roster probably since it's only a single episode and he uses everything to great effect. The theming is solid and consistent throughout and the traps are just plain sinister at times without being too absurd. I wasn't sure about the Buckethead music during the stream but it worked pretty well when actually playing the game. The only one that felt out of place was the final level, it was way too peaceful for a final confrontation. The last level felt a little phoned-in in general but that's really the only one I have any complaints about. Thankfully I didn't run into the eye-shooting bug others have, hopefully he gives it a fix.

Overall great stuff that I'll probably be playing for years to come. I'm not sure what some people were expecting, but it plays slower and more deliberately like an old-style Doom 1 should.

I finally beat it after I got home this evening.

The only major complaint I have is E5M7's ending.  It was such an outstanding map up to that point, then you enter the yellow key structure and the fun factor nosedives and gives way to pure frustration.  As if the structure itself wasn't bad enough--cramped, narrow staircases surrounded by damaging floors, and enemies in every direction--you're then treated to a final doorway that's completely blocked by two Barons of Hell positioned immediately in front of it.  That was just such a terrible way to end what was otherwise an incredibly fun experience.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the WAD from start to finish.  I thought each level had something neat to offer, and I liked the recurring themes like the shootable eyes, baphomet-wall endings, and multitude of Cyberdemons (so many Cyberdemons, but never used unfairly!).  I also appreciated the challenge.  This episode will beat your ass down if you don't come well prepared, and it thankfully doesn't have Thy Flesh Consumed's weirdly inverted difficulty curve where it starts out tough as nails, then gets easy-as-piss by the end.

10 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

Nevermind, I have a new favourite quote from that video:

The "misaligned" texture in question:

grafik.png.91b8fdc1ea3d369a980d9d6bb3847583.png

Redwall1 or Fireblu would have been a better texture choice here.

Here's the thing: GGGman is funny. If you follow him at all, you understand that he complains about "unfair difficulty" in almost every shooter he has ever reviewed. I don't hold that against him in this particular case. That is just his taste. He doesn't like hitscan enemies and he REALLY liked DewM 2016. I did too. I watched his video KNOWING he was going to complain about the difficulty, and, when it comes to my tastes, I prefer not to have to figure out the puzzling progression of the 4th map with dueling Cybers. Knowing that, my 1st playthrough was on HMP and my 2nd was on EZ. I'm still trying to find some of my anxiety medicine before I try UV. I love DOOM and I'm totally ok not being the BEST at it (EP1 UV is my sweet spot and I can struggle through D2 on UV if I have to. Even then, I prefer to run a MAPINFO that has ALLOWRESPAWN on all the maps because... damn).

I think we need to keep and mind that many people who simply enjoy DooM as a video game are not intimately familiar with the mapping and gameplay quirks that many of us are on this forum. It's ok to play nice guys. We all love this game for some dumb reason.

Gman's video is unfortunate because he commented on things out of his realm of expertise. He's entertaining and funny, but he's certainly not a mapping expert. If I were to nitpick, the line about the misaligned texture stuck out to me for being ignorant and patently incorrect, BUT, he's not wrong about it looking ugly. There are a few times in the Mapset where John made some questionable texturing choices that are known to tile well. So, ya, he spoke out of turn, but, in this case, what he had to say came from a place that was, in actuality, valid. Comparing this episode to some of the crazy work that has been done in the user mod space was TOTALLY missing the point on his part and I felt bad because Romero has explicitly stated that he was not up to do doing wild stuff on that level. Romero gave us a new episode of levels in the classic vein of the original and Gman criticized him for not making something like Deus Vult or Eviternity. I don't think that was fair. That actually bummed me out.

About the WAD:

Romero used ALOT of SPROCK in the episode. That is an ugly texture and it doesn't tile well. I've hated it since 1994. However, that was consistent with the original motifs already present in EP3/4. So, while I don't like that particular texture and I was hoping John didn't do that, I don't think it would be fair to hold it against him as it is clearly in the spirit of the original. On the other hand... Romero's usage of FIREWALL and FIRELAVA were, at times brilliant and other times hideous. In the worst of those cases, they were inconsistent with the motifs of the original IWAD and I feel like it is appropriate to point that out when sincerely critiquing the WAD. For some of the Doomworld peeps that playtested, I was a bit surprised that those aesthetic choices made it through.

Also, I've been lurking here since 2000 and would like to be a bit more active, but what is up with the post limit?! I was pretty excited to be engaged with this thread (obviously), but I was essentially blocked all day yesterday and that was a huge bummer.

21 minutes ago, Okgo5555 said:

Also, I've been lurking here since 2000 and would like to be a bit more active, but what is up with the post limit?! I was pretty excited to be engaged with this thread (obviously), but I was essentially blocked all day yesterday and that was a huge bummer.

Make a few posts until you graduate out of New Member status, and then you can post as much as your bleeding heart desires. For me, only took a few days.

While Sigil is still fresh off the presses, I thought it would be neat to do some playthrough videos of it!

Sigil is pretty neat - Very enjoyable to play.

So if you purchase the BucketHead Soundtrack from the Si6il link, you get the megawad with the soundtrack? And its $8.49 US?

The "there are better wads out there that are free" argument is a bit trash. We can't expect Romero to spend hours upon hours honing a skill that has the ultimate endgame of a single megawad release before presumably hanging it back up. Unfortunately, I felt this fell short of the quality of the iwad content in terms of game-play and the visuals just did not gel together. 

There's a lot of questionable design choices from both a game-play and visual aesthetic standpoint. There are some moments of strong visual substance, but the majority of the build felt like those elements were airbrush murals on a conversion van. The spidery, full-bright cracks are neat looking, but when they're slathered over clunky, 90 degree structures, it just looks terribly out of place. The narrow walkways that were abundant with hard turns were a real drag. I also spotted some visual bugs and texture misplacement on a casual play-through. 

It's fun as a curiosity, "What kind of megawad would Romero make in 2019", but the execution as a whole felt like a miss. 

6 minutes ago, Beezle said:

So if you purchase the BucketHead Soundtrack from the Si6il link, you get the megawad with the soundtrack? And its $8.49 US?

8.49$ ? No it's 6.66€

1 minute ago, MadGuy said:

8.49$ ? No it's 6.66€

Oh yeah I know lol, but its quoted in Euros or Pounds. I live in CA so its probably about $2 more. Was asking the US conversion.

11 hours ago, dybbuk said:

There's a digital version you can buy?

Edit: I thought you meant online. I realize now you meant the box.

Yeah, there's a digital version of the WAD w/Soundtrack that you can buy. Some people have already posted the link multiple times but i'll repost it just in case you missed it ;) https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il 

11 hours ago, Noiser said:

I can't care less about Gman's opinion. He is the same guy who said that Plutonia is "not good" with "artificially-increased difficulty" (lol) and put it below Doom 3 as the worse Doom game ever:

Spoiler

He is entitled to his opinion, but I can't take him seriously after that.

Wow, i have yet to watch that video but i was actually going to tonight. I personally really like Plutonia even though it kicks my ass on higher difficulties. Imo the levels are designed extremely well with great enemy placement. It doesn't take a UV -fast player to see that (aka Doom Master) but everyone has their own opinion.

10 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

Gmanlives on SI6IL:

"At times SI6IL feels like I am playing survival-horror. I mean, what is the problem? This is doom, not Amnesia the Dark Decent. Give me some fucking Rocket Launcher Rounds!"

I mean, i too hate ammo starvation at times but then again it does change up the way that a person plays a map and if it's designed with that concept in mind, it'll probably play fine. 

"You will notice immediately, too, that this level is really confined. You find yourself in a bunch of dimly lit rooms with a bunch of enemies without much ammo or weapons to defend yourself with"

I did read in the comments that he was either using the "Legacy" sector light mode or possibly the "Doom" one. I actually prefer the "Software" one myself. Not sure if that would help light up the rooms though as it just tends to put a "ball of light" around Doomguy like in the original game (i think). He did have filtering on but i don't think that makes it darker (?). It also didn't seem like he had any brightmaps or lights pk3's loaded. Maybe he just didn't want to use dynamic lights? Again i'm not sure if that makes it darker or not though. All i know is that you can fix these issues by changing your settings (unless the map truly has no lights). GZDoom is very configurable imo.

10 hours ago, Pegg said:

If Doom 1 is the best when why is he complaining about Sigil playing like it?!

He probably has a lot of nostalgia for the original Doom but none for Sigil as it's literally brand new. Plus the obvious fact that he doesn't play many Doom 1 vanilla style mapsets.

EDIT:

@LinguicaApologies as i didn't see your post about not talking about "Youtube old school gamer cranks".  

Edited by CyberDreams

4 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

To be honest though, gggman isn't really worth watching anymore.
He always tries to be "brutally-honest, "cynical", "neutral" in his reviews; yet sometimes he failed. Whenever he failed though, he tries to be salty in the comments to defend people from boycotting him.

Reveal hidden contents

His Anthem review is a good example.
Fistful of Frags, also. 
The Blood remaster, in which he claims to have played Blood to the point he "known it like the back of his ***"; yet he can't point out (or just ignore) the flaws of the port. 
Sometimes he also tries to be neutral through his Aliens: CM review or FO76 review.

At this point, the only thing that makes him worth watching is his older videos, from 2015 downward. They helped me a lot.

---
But looking at his like/dislike ratio of Sigil's review, looks like his fanbase is believing him; defending him and he still has a point. So I guess the wad still has some flaws, but not to the extent like in the review. Let's just wait for CV-11 to jump in.

I started watching the review but stopped 2 minutes in because oft he non sensical "criticism" he had.

I became a fan of CV-11 very very recently! He is getting popular and he deserves it, he is funny and loves old fps as much as us.

Anyway, i think that the WAD is gonna be good, i am optimistic.

51 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Oh yeah I know lol, but its quoted in Euros or Pounds. I live in CA so its probably about $2 more. Was asking the US conversion.

I don't know the exact total as i haven't bought it but according to google it should be approximately $7.46 USD (dunno if there is tax). 1 Euro is equivalent to 1.12 US dollars (again according to google).