Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

Well yes, it's limit-removing.

It should work just fine in Crispy Doom, which is basically the limit-removing version of Choco, so you could try that.

The readme sort of says that it should work with CD. Guess I'll try Crispy Doom.

sigcd.jpg

5 hours ago, JayKayFour said:

John's tweet is actually a bit incorrect, because you can't jump at all in SIGIL. The MAPINFO disables it.

6463878eb55ff062d003e609172561dc.png

Yes you can. In GZDoom settings you can enable jump. I use Brutal DooM (probably too much sometimes) and noticed I couldn't jump after exiting the first area on E5M1 so I went into gameplay settings and selected yes for jump.

17 minutes ago, MrSkeltal said:

The readme sort of says that it should work with CD. Guess I'll try Crispy Doom.

sigcd.jpg

Yeah, there are a few mistakes in that readme. Like the "COMPATIIBLE" typo. It should definitely have prominently reminded about the limit-removing requirement in that section, though.

20 minutes ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

Yes you can. In GZDoom settings you can enable jump. I use Brutal DooM (probably too much sometimes) and noticed I couldn't jump after exiting the first area on E5M1 so I went into gameplay settings and selected yes for jump.

This seems like an option added by brutal doom that overwrites the mapinfo that prevent players from jumping in zdoom ports.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the WAD.  I love Jimmy's MIDI tracks, too.  @Jimmy Are these new tracks or stuff from other projects a la Buckethead?

Mostly from other projects. The only new compositions in the WAD are the title and intermission tracks, which are called "Lands of Ire" and "Big Guns" respectively.

38 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

This seems like an option added by brutal doom

No.

Brutal Doom does not add any option.

I wonder if @Romero will do a Dev playthrough of SIGIL, almost like how he did back in 2014 (?) of the original 3 episodes. Would be nice if he could do a playthrough with  @Hyde (Tim Heydelaar - one of Doom 64's Level Designers); Would be cool for them to swap stories regarding development, and whatnot of both past and present... 

Just a thought. ;)

He sort of did already with his twitch streaming, but the VOD are probably all gone by now.

1 hour ago, Ancalagon said:

This seems like an option added by brutal doom that overwrites the mapinfo that prevent players from jumping in zdoom ports.

It's a option in GZDOOM, where you can chose to never jump (don't care if the map need jumping, this would be disabled), Default (where looks on the map info on the map and use that) and Always (You jump, neverless of what map info says)

Tried Sigil at  last , what can I say ? for me challenging and entertaining until now ( I am in e5m4)

In line with is last previous release (e1m4b and e1m8) for sure different from the back to saturn x episodes or ancient aliens.

I hope that he could produce in the future a full 32 megawad.

However I am not playing vanilla style but my setup is :

last smooth doom version

psx sounds

hd graphics last version

gz doom 3.5

I will try  another run in the future on the doomretro port

1 hour ago, Ancalagon said:

That may be correct too but I don't go into Brutal settings to enable, I go into the GZDoom options menu at the start screen.

I forwarded my order confirmation yesterday and I still haven't received access to the downloadable version. I've got the information late because I stopped reading the thread to avoid spoilers.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Yeah, there are a few mistakes in that readme. Like the "COMPATIIBLE" typo. It should definitely have prominently reminded about the limit-removing requirement in that section, though.

Eternity being listed in that section is also a mistake, since Eternity handles the standard version just fine without needing the compat patch :)

The original episodes of DOOM, even Thy Flesh Consumed from Ultimate DOOM and additionally DOOM 2 and Final DOOM (and we can even go on to DOOM 64 if we feel so inclined), were obviously not designed with mouselook in mind, nor did anyone have the ability to use mouselook until sourceports came around. Just because mouselook was unofficially retrofitted in and that modern wads and mods put it to great use still doesn't change the fact that even though you can mouselook in DOOM/2/Final/64, it's not necessary nor was it ever intended to be played with such. The very same goes with jumping.

Not sure why a episode acting as a conclusion and in the spirit of the prior would be any exception. Seems like perhaps a few folks have confused unofficial mouselook/jump features added by the community some years later with the reality that classic DOOM was never designed for such. There was almost a entire 5 year period upon its release where everyone was happily gibbing and fragging away with DOOM as it was intended without such novelty features (for the time). And it's designed by one of the OG id team behind DOOM, so it should not come as a surprise.

Edited by Buckshot

For anyone that is holding out for a potential second wave of Sigil boxes, Brenda Romero confirmed that there will be no second wave. She did say there was the possibility, however, of another physical USB release.

As stated previously, the waiting list for boxes is long, so I'm not holding my breath anymore... 

That would be cool. I just got my standard box. The USB floppy is really neat. The soundtrack CD seems to be MP3 format which is a little lame.

I had a chance to run through SIGIL and its definitely a beautiful wad. Its a solid 8 out of 10 for me. Im just happy I got to play something created by romero for the fans :)

6 hours ago, Raito said:

SIGIL is quite decent. Nothing much to say about it.

Yeah I guess that's a fair assesment. I found SIGIL to be ok and that's about it when maybe I had my expectations a little too high.

6 hours ago, Kills Alone said:

Only the first Baron encounter requires scavenging for ammo (or save up Chaingun ammoz), after that you get Rox and then Chainsaw.

Well the first Baron encounter wasn't too bad, but the wad gives so little rocket ammo that you'll mostly be using pump shotgun to fight off mutiple cacos backing up a baron which is just grindy and frustrating. And I don't consider chaingunning barons to any more enjoyable. I'll concede that I might be a shitty Doom player, but Nihility also does resource restriction and I love that wad.

27 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

The soundtrack CD seems to be MP3 format which is a little lame.

Wait, it's not an audio CD? Why would they make them as data CDs? That really limits playability.

So just to check, nobody forgot that Barons and Cacos are particularly prone to mutual infighting right ?

24 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

I wonder if these MP3 files perfectly match the lumps of sigil_shreds.wad once extracted by Deutex, Slade or whatever tool.

55 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

27 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Wait, it's not an audio CD? Why would they make them as data CDs? That really limits playability.

Wow ok I just opened my box and tried playing the CDs in my stereo. They don't play! That's an actual disappointment to me, unlike others complaining about the maps... this is an actual legit concern. Not being able to rock out to the soundtrack old school style is a bummer, especially since the back of the case implies it's an audio CD you can play anywhere thanks to the track listing. I guess I will have to burn my own CD.

4 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Wow ok I just opened my box and tried playing the CDs in my stereo. They don't play! That's an actual disappointment to me, unlike others complaining about the maps... this is an actual legit concern. Not being able to rock out to the soundtrack old school style is a bummer, especially since the back of the case implies it's an audio CD you can play anywhere thanks to the track listing. I guess I will have to burn my own CD.

I wouldn't have bought the set if I knew that before. It's too expensive for lossy audio compression.

And still no reaction to my email (26 hours after forwarding). And it seems that the parcels to Germany aren't sent from Ireland – tracking finally works and it says my parcel is in Folcroft Pa.

Been lurking pretty much since 2000 and registered just to say that this is hands down the best possible vanilla experience for doom and I really enjoy stupid sht like brutal doom and complex doom + lca but man, everything is so precisely crafted it's jsut amazing like every single encounter makes sense and strafing on really cramped places while dodging all sorts of projectile based shots is (imo) pretty fun and challenging.

Mr. Romero nailed it.

Wait...the CD is a data CD containing MP3's? WHAT!? Why? Really it should've been an audio CD but at the very least it should've been FLAC. People can always transcode to a lossy format but you can't transcode to a lossless format (well...you can but it's pointless, the damage has already been done).

I would be interested in seeing screenshots of IsoBuster showing the contents of the CDs, just by curiosity.

As for the lossy format, I suppose that was part of the agreement with Buckethead or something, that is, Buckethead provides the soundtrack, but he keeps the exclusivity of the lossless release, so that he can sell it on Bandcamp. I cannot find another rational explanation. I don´t know, I´m only speculating.

So, if you really want the entire lossless release of the soundtrack, you need to purchase the album and two loose tracks (not included in the main album for some reason) from Bandcamp.

https://music.bucketheadpikes.com/album/sigil-soundtrack

https://music.bucketheadpikes.com/track/eye-on-spiral-part-1

https://music.bucketheadpikes.com/track/triceratoptron

Edited by Diabolución : The USB drive does contain the lossless tracks

1 hour ago, xReaper said:

Been lurking pretty much since 2000 and registered just to say that this is hands down the best possible vanilla experience for doom and I really enjoy stupid sht like brutal doom and complex doom + lca but man, everything is so precisely crafted it's jsut amazing like every single encounter makes sense and strafing on really cramped places while dodging all sorts of projectile based shots is (imo) pretty fun and challenging.

Mr. Romero nailed it.

Dude yes!! I ran through the game on UV (Im pretty sure this is standard for alot of you) and it was really damn challenging in the smaller areas. Totally had me thinking of my next moves ahead.

21 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I'm find with not mouselooking as I typically don't. Hell, I don't even use a mouse. I play keyboard only.

RESPECT.

12 hours ago, noisebloom said:

Primus? Like, the band?

Primus, the Transformers' deity, I hope.

12 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Can people really not play Doom without free-look anymore?

Now keyboard controls are something that i just cannot do. I've tried haha! I give total props to people who still play Doom like that.

Never could learn to FPS with a mouse. Keyboard-only all the way. And I do love my freelook, but only for just that--looking. (Aiming is cheating!) :)