Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

12 hours ago, KVELLER said:

It's strange to me to see so many people mentioning how tough the mapset is. I pistol started every map on UV and I thought it was pretty tame compared to some of the stuff the community has put out. I died, what, 10 times? I've died double that amount in a single room in some community maps on HMP :P

You must have been extra patient in E5M4 then. Or gotten lucky with rng. Or somehow you knew exactly what to expect before something surprising happened.

Did you also 100% it or was it more a passthrough run?

So, with SIGIL in the hands of players now, would you rather see Romero do a take on Episode 2 (since they're all sandy...) or try his take on DOOM II instead? 

2 minutes ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

So, with SIGIL in the hands of players now, would you rather see Romero do a take on Episode 2 (since they're all sandy...) or try his take on DOOM II instead? 

On a tangential note... Does anyone know if Romero enjoys E2, E3, or Doom II? I'm kind of curious what his opinions of them are, and I don't believe I've ever read or heard him mention them much. 

Not sure we'd see anything fresh with an E2 episode. I'd rather see what he'd come up with using the full range of Doom 2 monsters.

guys I'm worried I haven't recieved any email and no news about the beast box I ordered

7 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

guys I'm worried I haven't recieved any email and no news about the beast box I ordered

If you email them, they should get back to you fairly quickly. They've been super responsive to my emails.

Has anyone managed to stop the crushers in E5M4 with the broken teleporter pad in a way you can pass underneath the crushers after you stopped them? I tried for a while but eventually gave up on it and took my chances with the moving crushers.

PS: Also no news about the whereabouts of my Beast Box so far. At least I got the game, but would be nice to get the rest eventually as well.. 

when I look at my limited run account it just says Fullfillment status: unfullfilled

1 minute ago, noisebloom said:

If you email them, they should get back to you fairly quickly. They've been super responsive to my emails.

who do you mean? limited runs or romero games?

having the soundtrack CD be a data disc with MP3 files is definitely a strange decision. i guess it was to make it easier for the user to extract the audio to the computer, but then it could've just been put on the main disc (which i assume is also a data disc and not running some sort of autostart launcher), and have the other disc be an audio CD with the lossless files so you can listen to it anywhere. really confusing design choice.

i haven't got a shipping notification either. i assume since it's not shipped from Ireland at all in the EU, they're doing domestic shipping before any of the international orders. then there's the question whether it will go straight to customs and cost a hefty sum to get released...

43 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

On a tangential note... Does anyone know if Romero enjoys E2, E3, or Doom II? I'm kind of curious what his opinions of them are, and I don't believe I've ever read or heard him mention them much. 

I've heard him mention liking E3M6 off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

I've heard him mention liking E3M6 off the top of my head.

Would make sense given that one of the deathmatch areas resembles the map greatly

51 minutes ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

Doom 2 without a doubt.

13 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Since i prefer to use the Software renderer i can't stand the Y-shearing effect that happens when looking up/down so i usually always play without free-look enabled and use horizontal look only/auto-aim at the stock 35 unless a map otherwise states the need for it.

Now keyboard controls are something that i just cannot do. I've tried haha! I give total props to people who still play Doom like that.

I did for the same reasons to not use mouselook back in time when I preferred ZDoom software renderer as I couldn't get used to filtered blurry textures at the time. The shearing was awful and made me even motion sick. However, I was playing full keyboard back then, like how I started in DOS.

Much much later as I got used to modern FPS and texture filtering, I went back to GZDoom. One thing I liked about mouselook was that it could give an entire new view of the world, just from exploration and aesthetic, it was interesting to look almost 90 degrees down in The Pit level for example, or look up in a high elevated ceiling and discover wrong textures you haven't seen before. It was a new perspective for Doom.

But at the same time I realized, I found jaring to play with disabled mouselook, because while I move even horizontally but expect variations of movement vertically, the vertical is locked, so my hand-brain compo because of playing modern FPS will expect some movement on Y, but will get nothing.

1 hour ago, ([zen3001]) said:

when I look at my limited run account it just says Fullfillment status: unfullfilled

who do you mean? limited runs or romero games?

Oh, I had meant Romero games, but now that I think about it, they may not have insight into the shipping info... 

Bought the album, now that I know it comes with Sigil and all I gotta say is Gmanlives is on crack! This is great fun, I love the design, the you can tell this is Romero's work through and through. I only wish I had bought the box kit when it was available.

6 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Oh, I had meant Romero games, but now that I think about it, they may not have insight into the shipping info... 

I've emailed Romero games about getting the download to Sigil early, and they haven't replied. I emailed them almost two days ago.

2 minutes ago, TheSuperSteve said:

I've emailed Romero games about getting the download to Sigil early, and they haven't replied. I emailed them almost two days ago.

Did you make sure to forward your order confirmation? When I emailed on Sunday evening John himself got back to me with a link in about an hour, but it's also possible they're a little snowed under now depending on just how many orders there were.

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

Has anyone managed to stop the crushers in E5M4 with the broken teleporter pad in a way you can pass underneath the crushers after you stopped them? I tried for a while but eventually gave up on it and took my chances with the moving crushers.

PS: Also no news about the whereabouts of my Beast Box so far. At least I got the game, but would be nice to get the rest eventually as well.. 

I lost my patience with the crushers, and idclipped them, after trying what felt like an eternity. There was always one of the crushers to low to pass it. :-D

I got a tracking number for my standard box, but not for my Beast Box. And, the tracking says left seller facility, in transit to carrier since five days. I send them an email about it, and openend a support ticked. Hopefully i got some useful information. Let's be honest, the zero communication (from LGR) about the delays, and the chaotic mess of delivering the boxes from LRG is annoying.

At least, forwarding my order to Romerogames worked flawless. I got a download within an hour.

In the behind the scenes footage Romero has the crushers still set on fast damage, which would have been more manageable. I wonder if that was before or after the feedback. Or maybe the feedback didn't effect that choice at all.

And I'm trying to make it work with my port as the 5th episode by using EXPINFO.

Hopefully by the end of this week I will have ready the update and the patch wad

38 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Did you make sure to forward your order confirmation? When I emailed on Sunday evening John himself got back to me with a link in about an hour, but it's also possible they're a little snowed under now depending on just how many orders there were.

I did. No reply as of yet.

I got notification that the shipping label had been printed on Friday. Fair enough that it didn't make any progress as of yesterday considering Monday was a holiday. But now it has sat there ALL DAY without anything happening. I am getting angry.

Aside from everything else tho, I can see everyone's frustrations. How everything panned out for getting all this out to everyone, I seriously doubt this is how Romero wanted it to go. 

He took a lot of time to plan all this so he could give us something as a way of saying thank you for your support and hey, a way to make some $ for future endeavors. But, people who choose to pay for the premium do have front of the line from everyone else. I may/may not agree with that sentiment but it is life.

As hectic as life has been for me I didn't even hear about SIGIL til after the pre-orders were over lol but I did buy the wad Sunday morning when I looked online and saw it was available.

Someone asked yesterday? about Smooshing Sigil...well, JPL posted about it earlier over on the ZDoom forums:

Okay, I've played Sigil and since a few people have asked here's my plans for it for WadSmoosh:
- An upcoming (no ETA) WadSmoosh build will support SIGIL.WAD and SIGIL_SHREDS.WAD, though be warned that the MP3 music in the latter will add >100MB of bulk to your IWAD.
- Sigil will appear at its proper place in the episode list, after Thy Flesh Consumed and before Hell On Earth. I'll try to make sure that other mods that add a 5th episode (eg The Lost Episode) will overwrite this as expected.
- The Sigil title screen and title screen music won't be accessible in the doom_complete.pk3 IWAD, just because there can be only one title screen + music and for mod compatibility reasons it will be Doom 2's if you have that, Ultimate Doom's if you don't.

On 5/27/2019 at 11:48 PM, scalliano said:

So far, music is ace, E5M4 can die in a fire. Fuck that crusher maze. Fuck it. Hard.

It wasn't that bad. There was plenty of safe pockets in that maze and it was all about timing anyway.

I don't think so. SIGIL was more of a sequel than a direct replacement to EP3. Now, EP2 replacement might happen but I don't think Romero necessarily approached the level making from that angle. Though I'd love to see a level pack from him for DOOM2!

Edited by SamuelNMEvander

Regarding wadsmoosh I was wondering the same. Now I just wonder still if it'll qualify for the /newstuff chronicles haha

I wonder if the DOOM II project, if it should happen, will be a follow up to No Rest for the Living or a replacement.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

Wait, it's not an audio CD? Why would they make them as data CDs?

Buckethead's soundtrack is ~93 minutes in length, well more than the standard 80 minute capacity of an audio CD.

4 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Buckethead provides the soundtrack, but he keeps the exclusivity of the lossless release, so that he can sell it on Bandcamp.

The lossless versions of Buckethead's tracks are on the USB drive.

AREH09l.png

3 hours ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

Doom 2, then Heretic maps.  I'd also like to see him do some maps for Hexen, even though that game wasn't by him.