Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

28 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Does it work with PrBoom+?

Yes, just use SIGIL_COMPAT.wad. It replaces E3.

17 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Does it work with PrBoom+?

It works with all limit-removing ports. It's just that you have to use sigil_compat.wad which replaces Episode 3 of the original Doom because not all ports support an Episode 5 (GZDoom and Eternity do, I dunno about others).

Meanwhile, having finished streaming Sigil on HMP, I can say that I like it. It may not be an Eviternity, AA, Sunlust or whatever, but it manages to be a pretty solid sequel to the original Doom. I perceived it as being mostly inspired by Thy Flesh Consumed to be quite honest, but far more consistent and with new tricks and fairly oppressive atmosphere, it makes pretty good use of the darkness in the majority of the levels. It's fun, but I wish it was a bit longer, even though it took me one hour and a half to finish. I'm curious to see how UV differs from HMP, the main reason why I avoided playing it on that was the fact that the jump in difficulty is supposedly pretty steep (and I haven't touched Doom in the last few weeks so... I didn't want to die every minute).

The crusher puzzle was pretty ingenious. One of the levels also gave me a pretty strong Unholy Cathedral vibe.

I need some help. Sigil came out free today as all you know. I downloaded it and for some reason it just wont work not matter what I use. I used Zdoom, Gzdoom, and Prboom but it wont run. The wad itself is odd to with it only saying 1kb of space and the file being called MACOSX. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

2 minutes ago, SoundClock said:

I need some help. Sigil came out free today as all you know. I downloaded it and for some reason it just wont work not matter what I use. I used Zdoom, Gzdoom, and Prboom but it wont run. The wad itself is odd to with it only saying 1kb of space and the file being called MACOSX. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Incomplete/corrupt download maybe?

There's supposed to be 3 main files in the archive: sigil.wad, sigil.txt, and sigil_compat.wad. Which one you use depends on the port.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Incomplete/corrupt download maybe?

There's supposed to be 3 main files in the archive: sigil.wad, sigil.txt, and sigil_compat.wad. Which one you use depends on the port.

There are four items in the folder. Sigil.wad, Sigil.txt, _sigil_compat.wad, and a read me

Ok so I have the latest version of Prboom+, sigil's files are in the folder and i have my doom wad. when i try to run it the message says Sigil.wad doesn't have IWAD or PWAD id. So I think its a problem with the doom wad than anything.

Edited by SoundClock

did that crusher puzzle was done so we'll have some easy HAET target? ok, i HAET it. also, have absolutely no idea where to go in E5M5.

but i like it.

This is one of those hit or miss WADs to judge by. IF you play it normally, you'll hate it because the skill level is to high, levels are too cramped to do proper manouvering, constant lack of ammo and health keeps your nerves occupied.

Hovewer if you just happen to know every secret or be a lottery winner yourself to find all the proper secrets to get some superchargers, weapons and ammo, then it gets way easier to ordinary doom experience. Like I'd give it 83% of 100. Romero can do better if he decides to move on to Doom 2 so I think this is fair score as Doom 2 maps will get over 90% anyway...right?

The level design are okay but not that great, kinda continuing the annoying parts of Thy Flesh Consumed, but if you wait to see some distant Earth City which you'd get closer by each level as it should be the theme of thy flesh sigil, you'll be dissapointed, actually you're almost finished the whole thing before you notice new sky texture. I see a lot of custom wads using this texture coming up in the feel of Thy Flesh and Sigil but done more detailed and better gameplay with bigger outside areas and bigger battles. This was nightmareish dark themed WAD. It's okay, not the best thing ever but who cares it was neved intended to be, it's done now and intermission screens are best what I've ever seen on any WAD. Plus side experience, I want mor.....wait...We want more!

40 minutes ago, ketmar said:

did that crusher puzzle was done so we'll have some easy HAET target? ok, i HAET it. also, have absolutely no idea where to go in E5M5.

but i like it.

A hint:

Spoiler

It's kind of meant to be played like Perfect Hatred from Thy Flesh Consumed, so once you figure out the initial path, it's kind of just a series of restarts.

@noisebloom tnx. anyway, it was a quickrun, i'll start it again, playing map or two per day, so it will last longer (and to get that old feeling back; i didn't had my own PC back then, and i had only 20-30 minutes per day to play Doom ;-).

also, i played it on HMP, and it feels "ok". i guess i'll try UV next time.

Romero made update for those who waited? That's a nice treat, so i will download a WAD. I know Jimmy's music is WAY better than Buckethead's (no offense, Buckethead's fans).

Having played through both now the difference between HMP and UV is pretty big. HMP feels like a new Ultimate Doom episode, UV cranks up the Romero style evil tricks. I can see people being put off by playing UV first especially if they're not the best Doom players because it's very cruel to anyone not playing cautiously or not good at preserving ammo. I really liked it though, it was great to have a Doom 1 episode keep me on the edge of my seat like this and it's impressive how good the atmosphere is with stock assets. I can see people who don't really dig E4 not being into SIGIL either but I love both.

Also the first thing I did today was put the updated WAD on the Sigil floppy USB, lol.

According to your earlier post, you wanted to run sigil.wad in PrBoom+.

PrBoom+ doesn't support MAPINFO and Episode 4+. Use sigil_compat.wad instead, which replaces Episode 3.

24 minutes ago, SoundClock said:

How did you guys manage to play Sigil cause i'm still having trouble with running it.

just run with doom.wad sigil.wad and sigilcompat.wad as a custom wad - file parametre. Shouldn't be that hard if you've ran custom wads earlier?

3 hours ago, holaareola said:

I wonder if Sigil will have any influence in loosening up the prevailing tendencies regarding alignment.

I'm guessing not.

Upto Part way through E5M5, and I have to say, I'm really not liking it so far.

Thin Walkways, Mass Crushers and Required Shootable Switches/Walls when ammo is at an absolute premium is not a fun experience.

Just played through the wad (HNTR difficulty), and I've got to say I rather enjoyed SIGIL. It had its bad moments - no work of art is perfect after all - but the little frustrations I had didn't detract from the overall experience. My only real gripe is that the maps were disappointingly short.

37 minutes ago, Beezle said:

I thought Sigil was gonna have an idgames release?

so I've played this all the way through. I'll leave a full review soon but I'd like to say that I didn't have too much trouble with E5M4's crusher trap. Those broken teleporters are quite important to use.

3 hours ago, seed said:

I'm curious to see how UV differs from HMP

It's noticeably harder, though secrets (if you found any good ones while playing on HMP) will help you a lot. Playing continuously may also help a plenty with fat ammo stack carry overs.

10 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

so I've played this all the way through. I'll leave a full review soon but I'd like to say that I didn't have too much trouble with E5M4's crusher trap. Those broken teleporters are quite important to use.

I didn't realize the broken teleporters played a part in it, so I'll check them out on my next playthrough.

I literally just killed everything on HMP and ran through without issue. Maybe I got really lucky... The only part I died a couple times on was the start, because I didn't realize where I was supposed to go, haha... 

i was pretty sure that broken teleporters has some meaning there (besides decorative, of course), but didn't bothered to figure it out. the readme has no mention of "working brain cells" in requirements.

Spoiler

One of them stops the crushers and the other starts them again. You'll basically have to time it so that you can get the blue key without worry

I kinda feel dissapointed about this "final confrontration" at Ultimate Doom. I think we still need another episode Sigil pt2 where Hellish forces put everything they have against player. E6M7 should have 1000 monsters, no compromises. Hell forces should occupy every square meter with some monster behind every corner and try to kill player as we're this far already.  Holy spirit should guide player to open secrets like ammunition and superchargers, this can be done on modern ports.  In these modern days we're absolut tired about searching secrets to make things even and have cramped nightmarish areas with little ammo, (this is like doom3 and we hate Doom3) it's not modern style of gaming. And no, I am not whiney cry baby bitch, I completed this on UltraViolence, but somehow Mr. romero forgot completely, what's fun in gaming. This wasn't fun. Making player feel powerful is fun. We have a need to kill hundreads of monsters as hell really tries to kill poor player putting everything it has against, and then turn it to eleven. Make player to shout loud "F*uuuuuuuuck" when they're against Hellish forces when they psychopathically try kill player in every fucking way over and over again. Have Demonic laughter all over the place and creepy "you're dying now" samples all over the place and you're done. 

Ultimate Doom deserves proper ending.

Sigil's last level was kinda anticlimax, we need epic biblish last battle with hundreads of monsters. I know Romero can do it, so please. Things are still in progress after Sigil. This wasn't end.

If this was the last remaining Hell as Sigil it visioned, then they really didn't try it at all. Some couple of dark corridors is the final battle? Come on really...You can do better.

sincerely yours.
1st. Lieutenant.

Edited by eyelid

@Jimmy Absolutely love the MIDI soundtrack. Far and away my preferred option for this wad.

I was worried the game wasn't going to have MIDI's so I was really happy to hear that you took on that role.

My SC-55 is probably the best £70 I have ever spent.