Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

1 minute ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

Anyone notice anything different after the 1.1 update?

Another big change not mentioned in the patch notes in the pastebin above: E5M4 now has all 3 keys, so players won't be confused anymore about why they went through each path.

6 minutes ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

Anyone notice anything different after the 1.1 update? In E5M2 at the end of the level, where the health pack was that lowers the wall to the exit now has a health bonus (potion) and it has a bright glowing orb around it. 

That's obviously the mod you're playing on top, not Sigil.

39 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That's obviously the mod you're playing on top, not Sigil.

I thought so and should have waited to comment to try out other options first: Pr+, GZDoom (without Brutal DooM, like in first post) So yes, I highly agree @Edward850 lol GZDoom/Pr+ without mods are fine. 

One question I do have tho. I emailed @beloko and waiting for response but I can't get SIGIL to run in Chocolate DooM, I keep getting error messages and I have tried all variations of what wad type I'm supposed to be using and still getting errors:

Screenshot_2019-05-31-22-44-37.png

Screenshot_2019-05-31-22-58-56.png

Screenshot_2019-05-29-21-50-41.png

Screenshot_2019-05-31-08-34-14.png

46 minutes ago, Epyo said:

Another big change not mentioned in the patch notes in the pastebin above: E5M4 now has all 3 keys, so players won't be confused anymore about why they went through each path.

Lol that sure confused the shit out me hahaha like ...uummmmm

2 hours ago, banjiepixel said:

Many people seem to feel that E5M8 is anticlimactic finish but I think it is supposed to be more of a reward for surviving E5M7. E5M8 is just so much fun for me. It seems to be a map where you are supposed to run past the monsters instead of killing them, even the last moments seem to be about just running past spider mastermind and cyberdemon. It seems to me that there are many moments in Sigil where Romero wanted the player to just avoid certain monsters instead of fighting them and E5M8 is a great way to finish with that.

I have now completed Sigil four times, twice with prboom-plus, twice with gzdoom. Two times of those time I did it with HMP and two times with UV. I think it is now safe to say that I do really like Sigil. I think only E5M7 has some bad parts, other levels are very good and fun to play.

And on that note, i can't wait to see some speedrun times on E5M8 because of the pretty good bypass in the level that just skips half the level.

I've been quite successful at finishing off all/most enemies in each map on UV so far. It's not like it's impossible or anything.

4 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

Anyone notice anything different after the 1.1 update? In E5M2 at the end of the level, where the health pack was that lowers the wall to the exit now has a health bonus (potion) and it has a bright glowing orb around it.

Screenshot_2019-05-31-21-59-55.png

It's because there are like 5 or 10 health potions here instead of just 1, so the glow effects of the mod you're using might be adding up.

If there was a stimpack before and it's less than 10 stacked potions, it's a nerf. Not sure why this was done, but maybe as a marker, even though that only really works with dynamic lights (lights.pk3 loaded in GZDoom) activated. 

47 minutes ago, NightFright said:

If there was a stimpack before and it's less than 10 stacked potions, it's a nerf. Not sure why this was done, but maybe as a marker, even though that only really works with dynamic lights (lights.pk3 loaded in GZDoom) activated. 

Apparently the player needs to go over there, but if they have >= 100% health they'd have no reason to do so (can't pick up a stimpack). By making it health potions, they're more useful (up to 200%) and are also required for 100% item collection.

9 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

So yeah. Sigil. The guy who brought E1M1 - E1M8 + E1M9 (more or less) brings us Sigil! A collection of hard maps, unfair challanges and the generic "overly detailed" problem I usually see in DooM maps. You can make a terrible looking map with a fantastic gameplay and you can make a gorgeous map play like someone being tortured.

You should try playing on HMP or lower as i'm going to assuming that you played on UV. Even if the style isn't to your liking persay, maybe you can at least finish it without cheating. It's definitely worth it imo.

7 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

whoa! Downloaded this today and beat a couple levels and died in map 3, Cages of the Damned. I was happy to get it running on basically every port i have. But how do I get rid of the mouse-move in prboom? I feel like these maps have layers. Very nice layouts and fun gameplay- at least on normal.

<3

I only use PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 which is the older version but assuming that you are talking about vertical mouse movement all you have to do is go to the Options->Mouse Sensitivity->Vertical and turn that down all the way (move the slider to the left).

8 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

To add on to that I was definitely not a fan of that thin maze with lost souls in it. Quite boring really.

I liked it, myself. I was fascinated by how cramped it was (in a good way).

I think the stairs in the last building could've been wider.

Nonetheless, probably my favorite map in the set, along with the secret level (which I believe has not been a favorite of people, at least in this thread.)

Just now, Quasar said:

Apparently the player needs to go over there, but if they have >= 100% health they'd have no reason to do so (can't pick up a stimpack). By making it health potions, they're more useful (up to 200%) and are also required for 100% item collection.

The change makes sense. On my second playthrough, I didn't go inside because I had more than 100% health. I hadn't realized before how the final room was meant to be opened. Much better if it's a potion.

I saw some complaints that there isn't enough ammo to get 100% kills on map 9 from a pistol start, but it is definitely possible. If you save all the cells and rockets for the cyberdemon it should only need a few shotgun hits to finish off. The 2 barons in the map can easily be taken care of with infighting and many of the imps and demons can be berserked down.

It requires more than a typical amount of planning and advanced knowledge of the map, but you can't expect to get 100% your first time through most maps.

I've played the episode in UV now and I have to say I'm disappointed; these maps seemed nowhere near the standard of Mr Romero's original Doom maps, in visuals or gameplay.

As my disappointment was consistent throughout, I can't really highlight any particular areas.

31 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

You should try playing on HMP or lower as i'm going to assuming that you played on UV. Even if the style isn't to your liking per say, maybe you can at least finish it without cheating. It's definitely worth it imo.

I'm actually almost amazed to see how many people seem to have a problem with the difficulty on UV.

Sheesh, but it might just be me being used to high difficulty at this point because yeah, that's the kind of Doom wads I seem to play these days. Still, I think Sigil on UV is pretty tame, an expected ramp up from Thy Flesh Consumed. HMP is extremely easy in comparison.

i think it's just an ingrained, collective consciousness in the community to always play a new wad on UV the first run, combined with the fact that people might be more used to Doom 2 wads than Doom 1 ones, whose game design is considerably different because of the bestiary being half the size here and the SSG is missing, which makes it harder to kill meatwalls like Cacos and Barons. the difficulty becomes rather different as a result, because now you can put Cacos and Barons in strategic situations to oppress the player, either draining them of their ammo because of the shotgun's small effectiveness compared to the SSG, or make them ignore direct confrontation and either don't engage them or find other means to take them down. i didn't have too much problem with ammo management on continuous playthrough becaquse i usually just ignored the Barons in earlier levels to conserve ammo, which gave me enough ammo to more handily deal with them in the later levels.

i'll admit i haven't played E4 in a while, but i do recall some situations where Barons and Cacos were used to oppress the player in similar ways like they do in Sigil.

3 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

ou should try playing on HMP or lower as i'm going to assuming that you played on UV. Even if the style isn't to your liking persay, maybe you can at least finish it without cheating. It's definitely worth it imo.

I rarely touch UV. This WAS on HMP and I still found it sadistic.

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

As someone who likes to pistol-start levels I have to say I'm very disappointed with how hostile Sigil is towards that kind of thing. The worst offenders here are maps 5, 6 and 7 that for some reason do not give you a Chaingun at all. So if you try to pistol-start them have fun shooting stuff with a Pistol when out of shells. I understand that maybe continuous gameplay is intended here but there's no reason to not provide at least one Chaingun on each map - killing anything with a Pistol is obnoxious. That's not really making those maps harder, it's just making them more annoying and slow.

I agree about E5M7, but why would you need the chaingun on E5M6 when you get the plasmagun at the very beginning of the map, and plenty of ammo throughout?

Also I didn't really miss chaingun on E5M5 either, you get plenty of shotgun ammo and berserk and can just go tyson on most of the enemies. I think there was only one or two spots where having a chaingun really makes things easier, but otherwise it's doesn't make much of a difference.

But on E5M7 it really sucks without the chaingun, especially the chasm with the cacos and lost souls, although in many places the BFG makes up for it. Still, even on this map my pistol start run suffered more from poor health management on my part than ammo starvation.

Edited by Rathori

E5M2 100% is really possible on UV without losing all ammo. Cyberdemon didn't require ammo at all, two Cacos and Baron in last room didn't need much ammo too.

I think a lot of people who complain about ammo starvation in SIGIL forget infighting is a thing in DOOM. A lot meatwall fights have both cacos and barons in them - I mean, it's pretty clear what to do there to conserve ammo ;)

You can often berserk punch or saw the barons while they're dealing with cacos, spending literally 0 ammo.

3 hours ago, holaareola said:

Sometimes I wonder if a good idea would be for a WAD to start with a taster room roughly as difficult as the hardest part in the level set, just so you know straightaway, without losing progress, that oh, my typical difficulty choice isn't the one I want here and I need to restart.

I think that's a good idea, and some wads have actually done this one way or another.

Skillsaw himself said that the Cyberdemon on the first map of AA was meant to tell the player what they are getting into, therefore if they weren't capable of handling UV or prepared for that kind of stuff, well, that was where they knew they had to choose another difficulty setting, at the very beginning of the wad.

26 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

E5M2 100% is really possible on UV without losing all ammo. Cyberdemon didn't require ammo at all, two Cacos and Baron in last room didn't need much ammo too.

Yes it is important to have them fight so circle strafing is the key and make sure you don't accidentally walk onto the exit if you want max kills.

6 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

It's because there are like 5 or 10 health potions here instead of just 1, so the glow effects of the mod you're using might be adding up.

Yep there are 10 health bonuses there. It is a bit like a stimpack that will get you past 100% health.