Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

As much as I've really enjoyed Sigil I think I would die of excitement if John made a Doom 2 wad, mostly

because he didn't have that many maps in the original game and I think it suffered for it. Would love to see his take on the Bigbrik Starport theme.

For the guy telling that it's not possible that Thy Flesh is least loved episode on doom. Well, there weren't any single positive comment on Thy Flesh when Doom MegaWad Club played it through, not even mentioning intermission screen and anticlimax ending. heh...Every single level were bad.

And when it comes demonic laughter samples being weird...well that was used on PSX Doom. It's the doom way to do things and already implemented being weird or not, but it is. Go there to give feedback that PSX Doom is weird. =)

And for the guy who's incorrectly telling that I am pushing my opinions. No. You were just counterpushing and replying with these all kind of weird replies which doesn't resemble truth so I am forced to reply you and correct claims you're doing. Sorry about that.

Edited by eyelid

25 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Gmanlives also completed it on UV. Doesn't mean I think his points are valid. Fundamentally it sounds like you wanted a different experience than the one Sigil has (or was ever going to have) to offer. That's fine but don't push your opinions on how it should be onto everyone else, some of whom like it just fine the way it is.

I for one am happy to see some more oldschool Romero content.

Who actually wanted Inferno part 3? Now half the game is Inferno, originally it was 1/3 and 2 episodes are cramped dark corridors done by inferno style. No variety at all in episoden when original episodes were all completely different and inside episodes there were great variety of level design ideas and things from small to big. =)

19 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Of course i think that a Doom II megawad would be awesome but for some reason i feel like John Romero has fonder memories of working on the original Doom than Doom II although i could be wrong. Seems like it was a simpler time as id Software was still relatively small and Doom was still totally new.

Also, wasn't id Software expanding around the time of Doom II's development? Not to mention that Romero only made six out of the 32 maps in Doom II. Sounds like a hectic period for id Software if you ask me... (if they were expanding that is; also getting a deal with GT Interactive to sell Doom II, still supporting/releasing patches for Doom, possibly thinking about their next game ect.)

Oh, I agree fully that the first Doom was a truly magic moment for id and for gaming and that's what makes having a new Ultimate Doom episode from Romero so special. I think he definitely prefers the simplicity but he's also talked fondly of a few Doom II maps in the past and I think as fans we all kind of selfishly want to see new Romero maps with the full roster after shaking the cobwebs out with the E1 remake maps and SIGIL.

I guess I kind of agree with your sentiment that a Doom II WAD wouldn't be as meaningful, but I'd still be first in line for a Doom II companion to SIGIL because I really dug it and its fun having brand new classic id-related stuff to add to my Doom collection.

I'd rather if Romero stuck with Doom 1 maps. I'm probably one of the few people on this planet who prefer Doom without SSG, Arch-Viles, Pain Elementals, Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Heavy Weapon Dudes and especially Revenants with their terribly annoying alert shrieks. I'm fine with Hell Knights because they have less health points than Barons of Hell.

Crazy, I know.

33 minutes ago, eyelid said:

Who actually wanted Inferno part 3? Now half the game is Inferno, originally it was 1/3 and 2 episodes are cramped dark corridors done by inferno style. No variety at all in episoden when original episodes were all completely different and inside episodes there were great variety of level design ideas and things from small to big. =)

Inferno part 2 and now Inferno part 3 are basically just bonus episodes anyway so it doesn't really matter. You can ignore Thy Flesh Consumed and Sigil completely if you don't like them. Also some of us love Inferno and are able to appreciate getting more of it in the form of Sigil. I think you complain too much, getting Inferno part 3 is much better than not getting Episode 5 at all, especially one made by Romero.

Haven't seen the Icarus review posted yet

He's a bit harsher on it than Civvie, but not a jerk about it like Gman. 

57 minutes ago, Xymph said:

Interesting, so according to the /idgames maintainers this is not a megawad but an episode replacement, as expected. By the way, it seems that the greek mirror is dead...

7 minutes ago, mattjoes said:

A question: Is there a changelog for Sigil v1.1?

https://pastebin.com/p2GMUSRE

Edited by Diabolución

15 minutes ago, kknot5889@gmail.com said:

Haven't seen the Icarus review posted yet.

He's a bit harsher on it than Civvie, but not a jerk about it like Gman. 

I saw that this morning and I don't agree on a few things as a matter of taste but I thought it was a fair review.

7 hours ago, Touchdown said:

They've been inundated with this new-fangled idea of what DOOM is and they can't fathom how come you can't survive by playing it like a pure action game. I'm glad Romero didn't abandon those aspects of the game because I think they're instrumental to the true essence of DOOM.

Yeah all of these new mapsets are from FAKE DOOMERS who don't know real Doom.

sorry to tell you but What you think the "true essence of DOOM" is is not the end all Be all of Doom mapping in general.

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Yeah all of these new mapsets are from FAKE DOOMERS who don't know real Doom.

sorry to tell you but What you think the "true essence of DOOM" is is not the end all Be all of Doom mapping in general.

The continued life and popularity of my favorite franchise is a grievous threat to me!

Every once in a while I post some wad reviews on my Twitter. This time was SIGIL becaue I had to jump on the bandwagon:

A bit of a more in-depth review:

SIGIL was great, it was as sinister as I imagined it'd be. From the intricate details to the tight encounters, everything about it was shouting "evil".

I was afraid of E5M5 at first because I heard some things about it, but in the end it was a very enjoyable map that had you stay cautious as to not get sniped by the Cybers.

E5M4 was probably my favorite map, it had some really cool ideas with crushers being used in a way I haven't seen in a very long time.

I have one small complaint. There are at least 3 maps that have a ton of bullet ammo, but no chaingun (I was playing UV-Pistol Start). Because of that, and the lack of heavier ammo, I was forced to use the Shotgun for about 75% of the time.

There was also a little too many pain sectors for my liking, but that's just personal taste.

Jimmy's music was so good! I already heard 3 of the tracks used before in various wads. There wasn't a track that I felt that didn't fit the map it was used in, and it was part of the reason that kept me playing it all in one sitting.

All in all, the wait was totally worth it. I hope Romero keeps making wads.

I haven't played Sigil yet, but people who hate on Plutonia and TFC are dead to me. My absolute fave OG levels, hands down.

57 minutes ago, Firedust said:

I haven't played Sigil yet, but people who hate on Plutonia and TFC are dead to me. My absolute fave OG levels, hands down.

If you love the tightest TFC levels, then Sigil is your wet dreams turned real. Didn't give my opinion until now but Romero surprised me in many ways. I didn't know this episode would work so well with me because on paper it wasn't necessarily what I was looking for. As a fellow Plutonia and TFC fanboy, it gets my approval.

I played through it on I'm Too Young To Die (don't laugh; I can replay it on a higher difficulty later), and one thing I liked about it was how useful the chainsaw was. It was just the right thing for those small, tight corridors.

I played Sigil through on HNTR, really enjoyed it and even though it was stock assets the map set still felt fresh to me. It has given me some inspiration for my own mapping and also has reminded me about the actual point of difficulty settings... replayability, I mean people are complaining about Sigil being tough as an old boot on UV.. well fancy that.

HNTR played well, not mega tough but still had a few nasty ambushes, just a shame he didn't replace the baron spam with a few more imps or something. Probably 1 too many blue armours present as well, but can't really complain at that. Midi music was sweet and fitted well.

Sigil was not all tip top, the ending felt cut short a bit and I don't believe the missing cyber would have changed that much, but whatever. I would also complain about the crushers, but as many people have pointed out, if I had taken my time to look around I would have realised what to do, rather than just fumble through it instead.

With regards to more levels from John, UD/D2.. whatever, be happy to see more from him. It seems he is still very capable of designing doom levels.

Looking forward to playing Sigil again on HMP in the near future. Cheers Mr Romero! 

Question about E5M4:

Spoiler

Does anyone have a link to video evidence, that it's possible to use the broken teleporters to stop the crushers, in such a way that you can actually walk through the rest of the crusher area?  I messed with those triggers for quite a while, but every time I stopped the crushers, it didn't seem like it was helpful.

I did manage to stop the crushers in a position where they could be walked through.

I loved Sigil from start to finish.

My background, briefly.. I've been playing Doom since it was new (had it on a 386 that had to run it on low-detail!).

I've touched basically NONE of the modern stuff for it during all that time.  I may have played a co-op megawad for Doom2 years and years ago.. 

Any time I wanted more of a challenge I've just replayed both Doom 1 and 2 from start to finish on UV -fast.

That having been said, I think in terms of this game I've lived in the bubble that Sigil was created in.. and therefor I compare it against almost nothing but the original game, and find it an amazing addition.  It gave me that sense of oppressive isolation and struggle for survival that I hadn't felt since first touching the game 25 yrs ago.  The levels were totally the stuff of nightmares..in such a great way.  

Hesitant to touch on my last point.. but I'll say it; I think it's good that it seems to draw polarizing opinions.  Everything needs a push and a pull.. and that there are some particularly loud Australian gentlemen who HATE the wad is fantastic to me.  I like that there are niche challenges like this that only certain people will find appealing... I guess my point is that I think it's great that there is something like this to prove this game can still give so much to people who enjoy all sorts of different styles of its gameplay.

Here's hoping Romero might re-visit a project like this again!

7 minutes ago, Epyo said:

Question about E5M4:

Hide contents

Does anyone have a link to video evidence, that it's possible to use the broken teleporters to stop the crushers, in such a way that you can actually walk through the rest of the crusher area?  I messed with those triggers for quite a while, but every time I stopped the crushers, it didn't seem like it was helpful.

Patience. They eventually all line up just perfectly.

It might also help to know that there's actually two separate crushers where the broken teleporters are and typically you can walk through one or the other and be fine.

I've drawn both paths below.

Spoiler

y9hAkZh.png

1 hour ago, Epyo said:

Question about E5M4:

Reveal hidden contents

Like this?

5 minutes ago, sir_egg_benedict said:

and that there are some particularly loud Australian gentlemen who HATE the wad is fantastic to me.

LMAO

Really liked the wad overall. Some weak moments were crushers in M3, that cavern in M5 with five billion lost souls, M8 was disappointing and M9 was a bit weak. But in the grand scheme of things it's mostly nitpicking really. It did manage to achieve what it set out to do - Episode 5 for the original Doom. I think some people missed this point entirely, the hype surrounding this wad (it's Romero himself, after all) has undoubtedly did some harm, and some people clearly expected something way grander. MIDI soundtrack is killer too, don't miss it!

It's quite surprising to see complaints about difficulty, it wasn't a walk in the park, but on UV it's relatively easy. I'm not a very good Doom player either, but compared to typical traps in a lot of other wads (with Doom 2 assets) - a dozen Revenants, a few Arch Viles, some Mancubi and Hell Knights thrown in, well, you know how it goes. That sort of stuff is way, way harder than anything in Sigil. Another common complaint seems to be the amount of Cacodemons and Barons of Hell, but remember that this is Doom 1, there are no other high level monsters. And if you count the number of Cacos and Barons in Inferno and Thy Flesh Consumed, it's very much on par with Sigil.

In any case, big thanks to John for the wad. For me now, the Ultimate Ultimate Doom is five episodes long.

31 minutes ago, Epyo said:

Question about E5M4:

Hide contents

I managed it with a severe dose of luck.

If John is doing something for D2 after this, I wouldn't expect him to deliver a full 32-map episode, but 11-15 maps may be the sweet spot. I'd like to return back to Earth for another round of levels with open design, lots of space to maneuver and bigger encounters. Basically the opposite approach of Sigil. 

May John take all the negative feedback as constructive criticism and motivation to resume Doom mapping. I still think Sigil is a very nice addition to the Doom saga and there's still space (and demand) for more.

Edited by NightFright