Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

Jesus, seeing some of these absurd eBay listings popping up already makes me even more hopeful that LRG will actually send me my fucking copy of Sigil some time this year! I sent an email this morning.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Diabolución said:

Spotted this WIP release of 1.2.

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/b2fc22ee9bdaebff188561f3d116ffd8

http://doomshack.org/uploads/sigil_compat_v1_2patch_wip.zip

https://pastebin.com/3KWWVDeQ

The good:

Not so good...

These maps need so badly a chaingun for the single player mode as well. When you run out of shells, having to use the pistol is just boring, slow and impractical. In my opinion, at any rate.

OK, I list my prefered changes for v1.2 based on my and many other players' experiences:

1. Add chaingun to M5, M6 and M7 single player. Reasons are obvious. There are ammo, you need that weapon. Strongly recommend to add the chaingun to the first secret of M5, which is kinda worthless.

2. Remove the unnecessary cell ammo packs in M3 and M4. There is no Plasma Gun in those levels, instead add box of ammo.

3. M2, M5 and M6 Cyberdemons should appear on HMP. It's a kinder skill, but the levels are a lot less without these threats.

4. M5 should tag the blue armor area as a secret.

5. M2 Cyber should be fixed in a smaller sector as telefragging doesn't always work.

6. Remove the yellow door issue in M9. The switches should be open after you open the window. It's a bad progression issue.

If someone is in contact with Romero, please address him these requests. I think most players would agree.

On my wishlist for a 1.2 release:

Please remove the redundant copies of the PNAMES, TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lumps. 

Please document how ports are expected to handle the death of boss monsters on E5M8. 

Please do not replace the intermission music for episodes 1-4. 

I don't think anyone else has brought this up but if Romero or someone in contact with him is reading this thread, then there's a missing texture in E5M4 if you enter the invulnerability secret and turn 180 degrees as the elevator's rising.

DOOM0007.png

20 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I don't think anyone else has brought this up but if Romero or someone in contact with him is reading this thread, then there's a missing texture in E5M4 if you enter the invulnerability secret and turn 180 degrees as the elevator's rising.

DOOM0007.png

Oh, I know what did I forget. This as well.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Jesus, seeing some of these absurd eBay listings popping up already makes me even more hopeful that LRG will actually send me my fucking copy of Sigil some time this year! I sent an email this morning.

Exactly what I thought, when I saw the Beast Box ending at around $680.

Hope they send it soon.

3 hours ago, eulo said:

3. M2, M5 and M6 Cyberdemons should appear on HMP. It's a kinder skill, but the levels are a lot less without these threats.

I agree with rest of your points. But regarding this point, I have following things to say:

1) M2 should not have a cyberdemon on HMP. HMP is supposed to be a casual difficulty and M2 is too early for a cybie.

2) Regarding M5, there should only be 1 cybie in HMP imho.

Also regarding M5, I think the cyberdemons should be on slightly raised platforms (which are just enough tall so that a player cannot climb on it like a stair). The other cyberdemon-zone/platform (that doesn't have a cybie on HMP) could have some goodie like a backpack or some rockets on it. On HNTR, both cyberdemon-zones/platforms could have goodies on them. This ensures that the teleports that take u to the platforms are not utterly useless on lower difficulties.

3) Regarding M6, I agree that there should be a cyberdemon. But there should also be more health and cell ammo to compensate for it as HMP is meant to be a much easier difficulty than UV.

Edited by ReaperAA

48 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Why Ultimate Doom though?

1) For the 25th anniversary of Doom.
2) Why not ?

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

LRG is probably leaking customer-paid Beast Boxes onto eBay to reap the massive profits. Then, once the hype dies down, the delays will mysteriously cease and yours will be sent out. By then, the collector market will be saturated and BBs will have minimal resale value. Once this comes to light, a scandal will emerge, Sigil Gate or Doom Gate or some such. 

I wonder if Romero will actually make any substantial gameplay change to the singleplayer. Maybe he wants to try to keep it as much demo compatible as possible.

I hope he does not, because the suggestions by both ReaperAA and eulo make a lot of sense and I don't think it's worth keeping the demo compatibility if it can improve the gameplay, specially for the changes that would only affect HMP.

The ones from fabian would only affect sigil.wad (not sigil_compat.wad) they also wouldn't affect the gameplay and would make total sense.

5 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I agree with rest of your points. But regarding this point, I have following things to say:

1) M2 should not have a cyberdemon on HMP. HMP is supposed to be a casual difficulty and M2 is too early for a cybie.

2) Regarding M5, there should only be 1 cybie in HMP imho.

Also regarding M5, I think the cyberdemons should be on slightly raised platforms (which are just enough tall so that a player cannot climb on it like a stair). The other cyberdemon-zone/platform (that doesn't have a cybie on HMP) could have some goodie like a backpack or some rockets on it. On HNTR, both cyberdemon-zones/platforms could have goodies on them. This ensures that the teleports that take u to the platforms are not utterly useless on lower difficulties.

3) Regarding M6, I agree that there should be a cyberdemon. But there should also be more health and cell ammo to compensate for it as HMP is meant to be a much easier difficulty than UV.

You're right, I think the more important cyber is the one that can be telefragged earlier from the descending platform next to the blue door.

8 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

DOOM0007.png

I've got this as a stream highlight I'm sure. There were jokes about the Shotgunner visible through the floor there being the "guy in charge" and how he was basically the manager. Missing textures can be fun sometimes.

35 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Finally, i got a tracking number for my Beast Box.

Wow, I just went to check my mail and seems that I finally got mine too!

Maybe Job's theory was correct and they're following this thread so they decided to quit before anyone will investigate further and they get caught.

11 hours ago, eulo said:

If someone is in contact with Romero, please address him these requests.

He's on Twitter and he usually responds to comments and feedback, so you can tell him yourself ;)

11 hours ago, Job said:

LRG is probably leaking customer-paid Beast Boxes onto eBay to reap the massive profits. Then, once the hype dies down, the delays will mysteriously cease and yours will be sent out. By then, the collector market will be saturated and BBs will have minimal resale value. Once this comes to light, a scandal will emerge, Sigil Gate or Doom Gate or some such. 

Ahh, interesting theory. *cracks knuckles* It’s time for a lawsuit baby!

Spoiler

Just post my crap videos here. I have a hard time explain my opinions about the map... That's probably I should still work harder on my English. Overall, I like the whole WAD. There are some little things I don't really like, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad.

here we go, I finally recieved a shipment confirmation from limited run, just wondering if someone else had to wait this long for this too or am I really the only one who hasn't played it yet?

Since every beast box is numbered, I'm curious what everyone who received the box got for a number. I received #40.

Miracles happen:

"Your order has been scheduled for shipment:
SIGIL Beast Box PC Megawad
Shipped: 2019-06-11"

If any of you haven't received their Beast Box yet - now may be the time. Sadly, the tracking number doesn't really track anything...

If everything goes like with the standard box, i will get the Beast Box im three weeks.

The eBay prices for them are just crazy. The second I saw have hit $610, and there are four days left for biddings.

Even the standard box will cost at least 100 minimum.

i got my shipping confirmation as well, so that's nice. my tracking number doesn't work though. i guess it's too soon for that or something?

Is Romero aware of these problems btw.? It's nice to make our Santa wishlists, but it means nothing without addressing them to the relevant person.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:09 AM, Job said:

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Ahh, interesting theory. *cracks knuckles* It’s time for a lawsuit baby!

LRG: "Crap, they're on to us Skippy! Start shipping out those Beast Boxes!" 

Skippy: (frantic) "I'm shipping, I'm shipping!"

20 hours ago, xttl said:

Wow, I just went to check my mail and seems that I finally got mine too!

Maybe Job's theory was correct and they're following this thread so they decided to quit before anyone will investigate further and they get caught.

6 hours ago, NightFright said:

Miracles happen:

"Your order has been scheduled for shipment:
SIGIL Beast Box PC Megawad
Shipped: 2019-06-11"

If any of you haven't received their Beast Box yet - now may be the time. Sadly, the tracking number doesn't really track anything...

6 hours ago, cybdmn said:

The eBay prices for them are just crazy. The second I saw have hit $610, and there are four days left for biddings.

Even the standard box will cost at least 100 minimum.

$610 would be a miracle, as the last one went for nearly twice that... 

2 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

$610 would be a miracle, as the last one went for nearly twice that... 

O DAMN!!!