Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

1 minute ago, Gradius said:

Simply setting the sector lighting mode to 'Software' has essentially the same result. Unfortunately the devs of ZDoom/GZDoom added terribly named modes 'Standard', 'Vanilla' and 'Doom' even though none are accurate representations of the original lighting model. Software sounds like a worse, slower option, but really it just uses a shader to properly emulate the original lighting model.

*uses the Konami Code on Gradius...*

4 hours ago, Gradius said:

Simply setting the sector lighting mode to 'Software' has essentially the same result. Unfortunately the devs of ZDoom/GZDoom added terribly named modes 'Standard', 'Vanilla' and 'Doom' even though none are accurate representations of the original lighting model. Software sounds like a worse, slower option, but really it just uses a shader to properly emulate the original lighting model.

Not true, "Software" literally emulates the sector lighting of the SW rendered, while "Vanilla" takes it one step further by being a closer approximation - part of the code for it was even taken from Chocolate.

In my defence, that's a newer option. But yeah it seems you're right. Consider that a point in 'these names are misleading' though. Considering the purpose, surely they should have replaced Software with it, or marked Software as being outmoded?

In any case, names like 'Standard' vs 'Vanilla' vs 'Doom' give no indication of which one of those actually indicated standard vanilla doom lighting.

22 hours ago, seed said:

Not true, "Software" literally emulates the sector lighting of the SW rendered, while "Vanilla" takes it one step further by being a closer approximation - part of the code for it was even taken from Chocolate.

True. For some reason i still think that "Software" looks better so i still use it. I've tried "Vanilla" and to me it just didn't look right. Maybe i'm just too used to the look of the "Software" sector lighting mode. Who knows. I hope it stays in GZDoom as an option as i personally like it. Maybe i'll change my mind in the future towards "Vanilla" though.

"Software" emulates the sector lighting of zdoom's software renderer.

"Vanilla" emulates the sector lighting of vanilla/chocolate doom.

"Standard" is something between "bright" and "dark" sector lighting modes.

This all is AFAIK.

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

True. For some reason i still think that "Software" looks better so i still use it. I've tried "Vanilla" and to me it just didn't look right. Maybe i'm just too used to the look of the "Software" sector lighting mode. Who knows. I hope it stays in GZDoom as an option as i personally like it. Maybe i'll change my mind in the future towards "Vanilla" though.

I too prefer "Software" over "Vanilla" because vanilla does too much darkness over a distance.

On vendredi 24 janvier 2020 at 2:48 AM, Gradius said:

Simply setting the sector lighting mode to 'Vanilla' has essentially the same result. Unfortunately the devs of ZDoom/GZDoom added terribly named modes 'Standard', 'Software' and 'Doom' even though none are accurate representations of the original lighting model.

Yeah the names aren't obvious, however the last time there was a discussion about changing them, it turned into pointless bikeshedding and clumsy periphrases.

"standard" uses a standard linear function, but it's not "Doom standard"

"dark" tries to approximate Doom's darkness without shaders

"Doom" is like dark, but with an added brightening effect at close range, like in Doom

"software" is a shader-based replication of the software lighting code from ZDoom

"vanilla" is a shader-based replication of the software lighting code from vanilla Doom

Out of all, Standard is also the most primitive from what I'm hearing, though it seems to serve most people rather well, even though it's a bit too basic. I'm taking a liking into "Doom" and "Dark" these days.

For me all of them look like shit on a regular laptop screen, no matter how much gamma/brightness/contrast/palette corrections you do. On a CRT the game looks much better with real black, vivid colors and high contrast and i recommend software or vanilla there. So people should get a decent monitor to play Doom.

If those were cheap, sure. Ain't got 500$+ to spend on a monitor. The contrast and colors are the one thing I loved about CRT, too bad I can't go back to them anymore, I loathe the 4:3/5:4 aspect ratio, it was fine in the past when things were designed with it in mind, but I have no desire to return there.

Looks like I'm gonna wait a long time until better tech that's also affordable gets made, I see no purpose in investing into monitors that are not a vast improvement in this department over the basic ones.

Yeah, unfortunately, to my knowledge anyway, they do not make CRT's anymore. They don't sell them at my local Goodwills or anything either. Hell, Goodwills around me don't even take CRT's, whether it be a TV or a computer monitor. They stopped doing that years ago. Thrift stores and Goodwills don't have anything anyways but clothing. Everything else is put online now. I don't go anymore but my dad does sometimes. He'll pick me up a CD or some shirts once in a while. 'Bout it.

Who am i kidding? I don't have room for a CRT on my desk anyways haha! Anyways, it's probably time to get back on topic (not that i have anything new to say about SIGIL at the moment).

7 hours ago, Asking4Id said:

I think Gman's review of Sigil is unfair.

Yeah i agree, even though that's old news. He was playing the older version of SIGIL as that was the only version out at the time. The final one (v1.21) has some stuff changed. Even if you do play the first version, if you play using the Software renderer it's not as dark imo. I believe GMan or GGGMan(his old name) was playing on Hardware mode but w/e. To each their own.

I also think that he should of turned down the difficulty as he was having trouble. Like i always say, if it's too hard turn the difficulty down. It's not 1994/1995 anymore where everyone believed that you had to play on UV or you were a wuss.

7 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I also think that he should of turned down the difficulty as he was having trouble. Like i always say, if it's too hard turn the difficulty down. It's not 1994/1995 anymore where everyone believed that you had to play on UV or you were a wuss.

*laughs in elitism*

But I agree, if it's too hard just lower the difficulty or try something else if it proves to be unenjoyable. Forcing yourself to play on a skill level you can't handle doesn't give bonus cool points.

16 hours ago, Asking4Id said:

I think Gman's review of Sigil is unfair.

I couldn't take him seriously. Dude kept accusing Romero for charging people for the wad when he was just doing that for the physical extras. Also maybe don't blindly try charging through levels as fast as you can and then claim them to be "unfair" because you keep dying. Civvie's review blew his out of the water, which honestly wasn't that hard to begin with, but watching both back to back is like night and day.

Also Civvie's videos in general prove he's someone who knows what they're talking about and doing their damn research.

Edited by seed

ggggmanlives also screwed up with his Blood Fresh Supply review, missing all kinds of problems the port had/has, it's like he didn't actually played it. He gets things factually wrong, too, often.

Civvie is much better. For months I had unsubbed from ggggmanlives but he brings out videos about exactly the things I am interested in, so I resubbed eventually :D

also gmanlive doesn't seem to form his own opinion, he seems to check how a subset of people react to stuff online and just echoes their thoughts

17 minutes ago, JBerg said:

also gmanlive doesn't seem to form his own opinion, he seems to check how a subset of people react to stuff online and just echoes their thoughts

This.

But a lot of people do this sadly, they first check for opinions and take other people's views for granted and echo them, without challenging them first.

Edited by seed

I'm playing this on HNTR in GZDoom, and I'm stuck at the end of E5M4, where final door to the exit (right past last bridge) won't open. In the YouTube movies I checked, it just opens after you get the secret backpack (which I did get).

Do I have a compatibility setting that's incorrect, or something? 

21 minutes ago, dugan said:

I'm playing this on HNTR in GZDoom, and I'm stuck at the end of E5M4, where final door to the exit (right past last bridge) won't open. In the YouTube movies I checked, it just opens after you get the secret backpack (which I did get).

Do I have a compatibility setting that's incorrect, or something? 

If I remember correctly, this area was redesigned. See if this one video is useful for you: https://youtu.be/L-MhgNRqfnQ?t=390

I started playing it today and I got stuck in map 7.

I gotta watch youtube videos to complete the map.

So far, there has been no new megawad that I could finish. Not even on I am too young to die. And the reason is I dont know where to go. It is not about monsters, it is about the designs of the maps which I dont know.

I already finished map 4 and map 5 watching youtube videos about them. This kinda bores me.

And I am playing on the easiest difficulty to learn designs of the maps such as where to go, what to do.

If I can finish Sigil on I am too young to die, then I will play it on UV for the second time and UV-Fast for the 3rd time. Yeah.

Gotta learn how to finish maps with no monsters first. That is a bigger issue than monsters.

I decided to do full difficulty play through with Sigil.  I just finished it on I am too young to die. I am in my second playing now. However, I still couldnt learn the maps. I am stuck in map 5 again (not because of monsters). I will watch youtube videos again for map 5. Damn. I dont remember what I did in my first playing for map 5.

I am too young to die

Hey, Not Too Rough (despite it doesnt feel much different than the first difficulty)

Hurt Me Plenty

Ultra Violence

And after Ultra Violence, I will do UV Fast of course.

So which means I will finish Sigil 5 times with different difficulties. I dont think I should do Nightmare Play after UV Fast. I could only finish E1 and E3 of Ultimate Doom on Nightmare. However, I finished all 4 episodes of Ultimate Doom, plus Doom 2 on UV Fast.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

Never knew a forum could be used as a diary for megaWAD experiences, but here we are.

DoomWorld truly is all-inclusive.

34 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Never knew a forum could be used as a diary for megaWAD experiences, but here we are.

I like trying all difficulties and see how different things feel.

By the way Sigil is the only megawad that I could learn the maps. But here I am. I even felt having to watch youtube for 2 maps once again.

Hope in my 3rd playing which will be with hurt me plenty, I wont feel having to watch youtube. Having hard time memorizing the maps.

I also see UV Fast as part of Doom. I add it as a difficulty. That is Heretic sytle 5th difficulty and Doom and Heretic are brothers (or sisters).

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

As a kid I loved reading these kinds of player reviews of wads on various GeoCities sites with guestbooks or areas where players could e-mail reviews to the site owner and have them displayed. There was no standardisation or anything, just people playing in their own way and documenting their experiences. I’m actually kind of surprised we don’t see people using wad release threads for this kind of thing more often - seems like a great way to increase the chances that the creator will see how you went with their wad!

I also like that the new review section no longer has length limits. If we had that coupled with a properly-synced database, I’d definitely consider it the best of both worlds.

I was wondering why this topic was so suddenly revived, now I know, now I know. 

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

As a kid I loved reading these kinds of player reviews of wads on various GeoCities sites with guestbooks or areas where players could e-mail reviews to the site owner and have them displayed. There was no standardisation or anything, just people playing in their own way and documenting their experiences. I’m actually kind of surprised we don’t see people using wad release threads for this kind of thing more often - seems like a great way to increase the chances that the creator will see how you went with their wad!

Sometime ago I was considering making up a NeoCities site for just that, let's just say it didn't work out.