Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

That said, there's one thing I'll say about the composition of the uncorrected version of SIGILTEX: I like how it's better inscribed into the space. The bottom tip of the pentagram touches the border of the texture, the horns touch the upper corners.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

That said, there's one thing I'll say about the composition of the uncorrected version of SIGILTEX: I like how it's better inscribed into the space. The bottom tip of the pentagram touches the border of the texture, the horns touch the upper corners.

But such perceived space composition is entirely dependent on how the texture is applied within the maps themselves, and when it comes to consistency in this regard, there isn't any!

This is how the texture looks with my aspect ratio corrected sprite fixes:

KzvdGdQl.png

X7wASmpl.png

What you deem to be better space composition of the original incorrect aspect ratio texture would not apply in these instances. ROMEROOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Revenant100

I kinda wish he would have made some doom II maps instead of making updates to SIGIL at this point.

Doom II's 25th anniversary is a month away. Would have been cool if he made a few new maps.

If I remember correctly, Romero said he planned on making something for Doom 2 later as well, if the reception of Sigil was good enough. And divisive as it was among fans, it was well received. And there likely wouldn't have been more updates at this point if it wasn't for the repeated delays before it came out.

I suppose we're going to see something in the near-ish future from the man. I don't mind the fact that he's still working with the community on improving Sigil and making it as good as it can be, but no doubt he knows he has to draw a line sooner or later. There's only so much you can improve before that stops being a viable option and you get stuck in an endless cycle of perfecting. If you still have ideas left unexplored, it's best to move on and make something else instead.

16 hours ago, The Maverick013 said:

Is it normal that you can pick up the red key without triggering the Baron of Hell on E5M3?

Well you could pick the red key in E1M6 without opening the monster closed, see it as tradition, heh.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, seed said:

If I remember correctly, Romero said he planned on making something for Doom 2 later as well, if the reception of Sigil was good enough. And divisive as it was among fans, it was well received. And there likely wouldn't have been more updates at this point if it wasn't for the repeated delays before it came out.

I suppose we're going to see something in the near-ish future from the man. I don't mind the fact that he's still working with the community on improving Sigil and making it as good as it can be, but no doubt he knows he has to draw a line sooner or later. There's only so much you can improve before that stops being a viable option and you get stuck in an endless cycle of perfecting. If you still have ideas left unexplored, it's best to move on and make something else instead.

I'd like to see Romero make a Heretic megawad, too.  That would be interesting.  

10 hours ago, JCST said:

Well you could pick the red key in E1M6 without opening the monster closed, see it as tradition, heh.

Ha, completely forgot about that. I'll consider it a throwback then :P

So I played a bit with Buckethead's music after a friend gifted me this version of Sigil, and based on what I've seen so far, I think the experience got a bit too watered down in 1.21. The crusher maze on E5M4 is now completely safe, it's basically hand-holding levels easy now... I initially thought the maze would still have use for the broken pads, but now, there's no surprise they got removed, they're obsolete in the overhauled version.

My issue here is that there's no more danger to that section, there's basically no point in even having it anymore apart from the cool factor. Despite this, I feel the difficulty is now more in line with E4 and more like a natural ramp up from it. UV is quite tame now too, so that should please the folks who considered it "too sadistic" (which I never understood tbh). At least from what I've seen so far, I did a dumb thing on E5M6 and basically killed myself, oopsies. E5M5 is also a bit more tame now as the Cybers can't roam freely anymore, an understandable change in order to prevent lock-in damage while telefragging, but it removes a bit from the pressure and the feeling of being hunted down in the Void itself.

That red tunnel with the Lost Souls is much more fun now too. So, based on what I've seen so far, 1.21 did some good things, and others that weren't too good. It's interesting how much the music changes the mood honestly, things feel much more "actiony" with Buckethead's music which, in the darkest parts of Sigil, doesn't really fit imo. At the surface sure, but it's too happy sounding and positive for an otherwise ominous and claustrophobic environment that we see early on (and then later... ).

Funny, when I was listening to the music while playing, on E5M4 I realized the track used on the map (The Patrolman) has parts that are awfully similar to Eleven Blades of Darkness. I found myself growling parts of Eleven Blades before I realized "Waittaminute... this isn't Diabolicum." Wtf is going on here???" If it was more aggressive/fast it would have been even closer to that song. Maybe Buckethead likes the band, I dunno, I don't mind this, even if it's just one Hell of a coincidence :D . Considering some parts of the map I guess it's fitting, heh.

Spoiler

Seriously, after 2:00 (and especially after 4:00) I can almost imagine Blackblood stepping to sing:

"What script would have set you free?
Oh, vermin of the loving god,
What was the feeble life,
Compared with the glory of death?"

Spoiler

I'm not a huge fan of the changes in 1.2(1), so I took the par times from 1.2 and put them in separate .deh files which can be loaded alongside Sigil 1.1 (and probably 1.0, although I didn't test it) for both gzdoom and compat versions.

SIGIL_PAR.zip

Posted (edited)

Speaking of old versions, the official site has them available, by now. Anyway, I have mirrored them on doomshack.org.

https://romerogames.ie/s/SIGIL_V1_1.zip

https://romerogames.ie/s/sigil_v1_2.zip

https://romerogames.ie/s/SIGIL_v1_21.zip

And these are the SHA-1 hashes I have got so far, to document them. As far I know, 1.1 is the first free version officially released and there is no paid release of 1.21 (understandably).

3a0c0bacadb3e4aab10d6fec739723ef1532f5bc  free/SIGIL_V1_1.zip
4ef0ddc4e751ae721158a027999a0cacc0af65dd  free/sigil_v1_2.zip
2eadbf82dc03e4aab9403ef7137a2c1007547328  free/SIGIL_v1_21.zip
1d649c6953b4c989413b624615e3df09b22a4f52  paid/SIGIL_REGISTERED_V1_1.zip
4a23107b847fccd5187cfde447b380ee36fd68ed  paid/SIGIL_REGISTERED_v1_2.zip
1558299d6fe9298ca0456211b204bf656918aad9  paid/sigil-registered-version.zip

Edited by Diabolución : Repair the format.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Speaking of old versions, the official site has them available, by now. Anyway, I have mirrored them on doomshack.org.

https://romerogames.ie/s/SIGIL_V1_1.zip

https://romerogames.ie/s/sigil_v1_2.zip

https://romerogames.ie/s/SIGIL_v1_21.zip

And these are the hashes I have got so far, to document them. As far I know, 1.1 is the first free version officially released and there is no paid release of 1.21 (understandably).

cheers for the links. never realized the old ones were still active.

the wad-archive has a v1.0, dated May 1st, that used to be there from way before the official web release, but it only became accessible on the day the freewad went public with v1.1 (May 31st). they're the same wads from the commercial boxes, minus the paid content ofc.

for a moment I thought romerogames.ie had that v1.0 and replaced it before I could grab it, but from what you're sayin' they went straight with v1.1, that correct?

Edited by OleBumma

Yes, that’s correct. There was never an official free release of 1.0, because 1.1 already became a thing back then. However, there are uploads by third parties, once John Romero lifted the embargo on May 31st , so to speak.

For example, I uploaded this to doomshack.org. According to the HTTP headers, it was uploaded on "Fri, 31 May 2019 09:22:20 GMT". It’s simply the sigil-registered-version.zip archive, but I used 7-Zip to delete the annoying __MACOSX folder and, of couse, the shreds wads.

https://doomshack.org/uploads/sigil_original.zip