Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

Recommended Posts

It's either Blood 5 or a Dark Brotherhood DLC for an Elder Scrolls game xd.

 

On a serious note, I'm interested. Could it really be a 5th episode? We shall see soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post

Obviously it's not going to be an Episode 5/expansion/rerelease/megawad of any sort since Doom belongs to Id/Bethesda/Zenimax. He mentioned pre-orders so I'd say Doom based content would be pretty much impossible to commercialize in this case.

 

At the moment seems most likely it's about Blackroom - he advertised it as his comeback to first person shooters as well as a return to classic mechanics so releasing more info on Doom's birthday/anniversary after a long silence would be a really good fit. I'd say it's either that or something completely different and unrelated - no idea where the whole "five" thing would fit into Blackroom so we'll see!

 

Not much of a wait left anyway, so ;)

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Cage said:

Obviously it's not going to be an Episode 5/expansion/rerelease/megawad of any sort since Doom belongs to Id/Bethesda/Zenimax. He mentioned pre-orders so I'd say Doom based content would be pretty much impossible to commercialize in this case.

 

At the moment seems most likely it's about Blackroom - he advertised it as his comeback to first person shooters as well as a return to classic mechanics so releasing more info on Doom's birthday/anniversary after a long silence would be a really good fit. I'd say it's either that or something completely different and unrelated - no idea where the whole "five" thing would fit into Blackroom so we'll see!

 

Not much of a wait left anyway, so ;)

 

What if he has a contract with ID?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, therektafire said:

maybe theres something involving 5 in the game

5 minutes of gameplay between 5 hours of cutscenes. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, ketmar said:

5 minutes of gameplay between 5 hours of cutscenes. ;-)

 

What makes you think that? Despite my cynical earlier comment I have plenty of faith that John Romero will produce something better than that type of game, especially since he's been promoting it as having throwback-style FPS gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post

just a silly joke. yep, daikatana was a disaster (The Disaster, i'd say), but i believe that Romero learned his lesson. "tech gone mad" was awesome -- his mapping skills are still great. so whatever it will be, i am 80% sure that it will be at least good, if not awesome.

 

still, i can't stop myself from throwing silly jokes -- it is my small revenge for that teasing thing. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, ketmar said:

5 minutes of gameplay between 5 hours of cutscenes. ;-)

 

That's actually MGS 4 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cage said:

Obviously it's not going to be an Episode 5/expansion/rerelease/megawad of any sort since Doom belongs to Id/Bethesda/Zenimax. He mentioned pre-orders so I'd say Doom based content would be pretty much impossible to commercialize in this case.

"John Romero's Episode 5: An unauthorized add-on for the legendary 1993 first person shooter".

I think he would get away with it. At least in a legal sense.

Share this post


Link to post

I would love an all Romero episode 5. But, I have doubts that's what it is. It's most likely Blackroom related or perhaps something new?

 

Either way, I totally want to get/make an Ultimate Doom episode 5 now.

Share this post


Link to post

Every gaming sites say "new game". But on that twitter post he said "new project". I'm really hyped up now for more kickass Doom levels (not that Eviternity is anything worse though), and would be really really disappointed if it's Blackroom or other who cares related stuff.

Share this post


Link to post

Is it that Kickstarter project that they said no demo no Kickstarter?

 

Maybe his son made another game.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm interested to see what it is but Romero has had so many companies / games and nothing really great ever came out of them (if at all)... I'll believe it when I see it. I certainly hope it's not just some set of DOOM levels but a full-fledged FPS or something.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Why i think that Romero believes that "oom" in game's name is a key to success?

 

Well, clearly "Daikatana" didn't have it, and it went over like a fart in church for the most part, so...

 

Then again, "Ion Storm" does have "oom" in it if you snip some letters, and it still failed, so maybe it's not the good luck charm he thought it was after all.

 

(But it did make some pretty kickass games of course, so it's hard to consider it a total bust.)

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

@Dark Pulse What about D"oom" and Blackr"oom"?

Doom definitely wasn't the all-Romero job some people rosetint it to be - I'd argue John Carmack is the biggest single key to Doom. Romero helped out quite a bit of course, but without Carmack's technical genius, it'd hardly have been the cult phenomenon it became.

 

As for Blackroom, well... how many people outside of those on this forum likely really remember it, much less have heard of it? The world has moved well on past Romero as a name that can sell a game, mostly due to the disaster of Daikatana and its infamous "Bitch" ad.

 

When your best credit is still "one of the guys who made Wolf3D and Doom," it's not very good for you.

 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Romero is a bad guy, or wish ill on him - he earned his success. But how instrumental he was in making Doom a success, that's a much thornier issue, and one that could probably have a topic all to itself - "Who, out of the Doom team, was the person most responsible for its success?"

 

I don't think it's a battle Romero would win if we were being truly fair and unbiased.

Share this post


Link to post

 

22 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Doom definitely wasn't the all-Romero job some people rosetint it to be - I'd argue John Carmack is the biggest single key to Doom. Romero helped out quite a bit of course, but without Carmack's technical genius, it'd hardly have been the cult phenomenon it became.

 

As for Blackroom, well... how many people outside of those on this forum likely really remember it, much less have heard of it? The world has moved well on past Romero as a name that can sell a game, mostly due to the disaster of Daikatana and its infamous "Bitch" ad.

 

When your best credit is still "one of the guys who made Wolf3D and Doom," it's not very good for you.

 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Romero is a bad guy, or wish ill on him - he earned his success. But how instrumental he was in making Doom a success, that's a much thornier issue, and one that could probably have a topic all to itself - "Who, out of the Doom team, was the person most responsible for its success?"

 

I don't think it's a battle Romero would win if we were being truly fair and unbiased.

 

He did earn his impaled head on a stick in the deepest layer of all hell in DOOM 2. I don't think it was Carmack or Romero. DOOM was a team project and every single person's effort made DOOM the game it is.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

He did earn his impaled head on a stick in the deepest layer of all hell in DOOM 2. I don't think it was Carmack or Romero. DOOM was a team project and every single person's effort made DOOM the game it is.

Correct, and I wouldn't disagree there.

 

But in terms of talking "single most responsible for its success" - that is, if this person were missing, whose departure would've hurt them the worst - my money isn't on Romero, it's on John Carmack.

 

That said, of course with even the other missing, we would've had a very different game. Hell, we would've had a very different game if Tom Hall stayed on, too. Really it's a whole exercise in "what if this person had/hadn't been around?" For example, what if Ken Silverman had collaborated with Carmack?

 

I'm not saying Doom wasn't a successful team effort - it unquestionably was. My point (in relation to Romero) is that really aside from Keen, Wolf, Doom, Quake 1, and Daikatana, most people don't even remember other stuff Romero did. Hardly anyone mentions Hyperspace Delivery Boy, for example, few people outside of ardent Doom followers are likely paying Blackroom any mind, and nobody cares that Romero was involved in all sorts of more minor roles in the industry basically ever since Daikatana's flop. He's not a name that can sell a game anymore - although the internet will be far kinder to him than, say, Peter Molyneux.

 

So in terms of him being a key to its success, no question (especially since he did write a fair bit of code for the engine), but him being THE key, that's a different argument entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Why i think that Romero believes that "oom" in game's name is a key to success?

 

Boom in the Mushroom Kingdoom

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Why i think that Romero believes that "oom" in game's name is a key to success?

 

You just reminded me of when my dad showed me the Doom Collector's Edition case when I was 4 and he asked "Hey, what does that read?", to which I replied, "Ooom"

Share this post


Link to post

Haha, that is funny. Still can't read anything. This artificial intelligence is not so intelligent after all. Or... they just wrote gibberish on the board.

Share this post


Link to post

OK it's the 10th of December for me now,where is this "5" Romero is teasing?! >:(

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, SOSU said:

OK it's the 10th of December for me now,where is this "5" Romero is teasing?! >:(

I'm gunna guess you need to wait until it's December 10th and daytime for Ireland which is where Romero is.

Share this post


Link to post

It better be Blackroom related. At first I was really skeptical of Blackroom (with a story about a VR game gone WestWorld), but Romero's E1 remakes really make me open up to how surreal you can make just about every map in a complete cyberspace based game.

 

Nevermind that Blackroom sounds a bit like Daikatana: Remastered in concept and I always thought that game deserved a spiritual successor.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×