• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

...Cinco de Mayo?

the battle of puebla of mexico :v

I'm still looking forward to Sigil.  I hope it ships out next week for those of us who purchased the boxes.  I have faith that Romero made a great 'Episode', he is still a very competent level designer.

I know but this mythicism about dates and numbers like May 5 is just people putting hopes and beliefs on random chance since May is a back up release date rather than a planned launch.

Edited by SamuelNMEvander

3 hours ago, Barefootstallion said:

Actually, I have done some research.  Quite a bit of it, actually.  I read Masters of Doom and have read a lot of online content about John Romero's successes...

And his failures.

Also, I played his map, that one he released those few years ago.  I saw nothing especially exceptional about it.  It was a good map, yes, but was it better than some of the more exceptional maps made by the community at large here?  Not really.

As to Romero's history, he has a long one, a very long one of failures.  After he was fired (yes fired) from id, he went on to start his own gaming company.  Investors poured millions into it - all with Romero promising again and again that he was going to blow the gaming industry away with his next game.

Which he failed utterly to do.  He cost his investors their millions.  He lost his company.  He did produce a game, but it is a game which remains a laughing stock even to this day - and a reminder that a name doesn't necessarily mean that there is going to be a good product.

What I'm seeing here is hero-worship for the name John Romero.  I'm not attempting to bait anyone into any kinds of arguments.  I am stating my point of view.  A point of view in point of fact, that is based upon historical facts.  And possibly a slight bit of ire with the amount of adulation which is being thrown at this individual only because he is the John Romero.

image.png.0486d4394bc915f288f0d98169212d94.png 

3 hours ago, dew said:

I played Sigil and it's fine. Feel free to challenge me, horsie-boy.

Oh yeah, like you’ve ever playtested anything good before dew

8 hours ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

But I'm just not convinced that they necessarily have the best design, or even balanced design which would make the level fun. It's mostly just hardcore difficulty grind with sweet tectures and 10,000k lines and over-detailed rooms plus archies, revies, and painies all day long.

Nice counterbait u got there to counter Barefootstallions's bait

U realise there are many wads that have difficulty implementation right? They have fair gameplay, have great design AND have great aesthetics. For example, try playing Eviternity on HMP or Valiant and Ancient Aliens on HNTR difficulty.

Nice. @ReaperAA please help me. On which difficulty I should play Vanguard, Lunatic, Stardates, Sunlust and SWTW if I'm ok with UV in IWADs? I'd appreciate it.

10 hours ago, Barefootstallion said:

Actually, I have done some research.  Quite a bit of it, actually.

And yet:

12 hours ago, Barefootstallion said:

Also, and please correct me if I have misread somewhere, but is he planning to charge for his mapset?

You didn't even read the first page of this thread.

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Nice. @ReaperAA please help me. On which difficulty I should play Vanguard, Lunatic, Stardates, Sunlust and SWTW if I'm ok with UV in IWADs? I'd appreciate it.

HMP, or even HNTR in some cases (Stardates).

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Nice counterbait u got there to counter Barefootstallions's bait

U realise there are many wads that have difficulty implementation right? They have fair gameplay, have great design AND have great aesthetics. For example, try playing Eviternity on HMP or Valiant and Ancient Aliens on HNTR difficulty.

Ok? Also:

Well, I'm speaking for myself,

All of these things combined just creates a very mixed bag of content.

Nice counterbait. Such an objective statement.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

And yet:

You didn't even read the first page of this thread.

To be honest, the first page just says something about pre-orders, when ppl still didn't know what 5 meant. More like stallion didn't research Sigil trailer description on Youtube or something.

Limited Run Games has created fan boxes for physical distribution that will reach customers in April 2019. After the boxes have been shipped, the free SIGIL megawad will be available for download at https://SI6IL.com.

Or he could've just googled what Sigil was all about. 

I forgot this thread was merged with the one about speculating what the "5" teaser was about, so you have to get to the third page to see

On lundi 10 décembre 2018 at 2:52 PM, MsKaye said:

Glad to see that Pre-Orders are just for a cute special edition thing.

On lundi 10 décembre 2018 at 3:17 PM, Cage said:

since he's selling the box and the other bonus things in it, not the content itself it should be all fine from a rights point of view.

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

...Cinco de Mayo?

I love those "5" images cause it is when he was in Madrid (my city) and I met him for the first time in my life. I was so happy

Just now, hella knight said:

Isn't the 5 stuff just because it's the '5th episode'??

Yeah, should be. None of us knew about that "5" thing til he said it is going to be a 5th episode for Doom 

It's "5" because there's a fifth horseman of the apocalypse, and his name is Barefootstallion.

52 minutes ago, Kira said:

It's "5" because there's a fifth horseman of the apocalypse, and his name is Barefootstallions.

Meme responsibly, you'll never know when joke magically turns into prophecy.

8 minutes ago, Beginner said:

Meme responsibly, you'll never know when joke magically turns into prophecy.

To be honest, stallions did arrive right before the launch to set it all aflame when I was just all hyped about it. Now it's gone because Romero made Daikatana. One bad game out of all the games since the 80s.

What I'm seeing here is hero-worship for the name John Romero. 

Never forgetti.

4 hours ago, dmslr said:

To be honest I haven't played any of these yet. But I think for Vanguard and Lunatic, u should try HMP because I have heard that they are quite easier than Valiant and AA. For Stardates and SWTW, I think trying HNTR should be fine.

Don't worry guys, I'm sure the WAD will be bundled with the Duke Nukem Forever 10th Anniversary Edition that is due 2021. Only two more years.

32 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Don't worry guys, I'm sure the WAD will be bundled with the Duke Nukem Forever 10th Anniversary Edition that is due 2021. Only two more years.

Don't jinx it.

When ID Software were looking after Romero's work, games were produced in MONTHS.

When that DM-head had to look after works by himself, game took YEARS and piles of millions to make.

Then he returns to last good game he helped to make and tries to milk money from it. But still fails to finish it in time.

In my point of view Romero is not smarter than Beavis & Butt-Head. "Yeah yeah, money is cool."