Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HarryGrey

Working Out thread

Recommended Posts

Did karate since my early childhood (my dad got me into it <3), yoga since the age of 11 (thanks mom <3), also started kickboxing and capoeira later on, good fun for sure. I'm an avid cyclist and can do +2 hours on a bike during a session quite well when I'm prepared properly. I don't do any sort of weightlifting, because I don't wanna put on too much muscle since it doesn't look good on 152cm small body, in my opinion anyway, and being small means gaining muscles that look "pronounced" really fast. With that in mind, I need to be a bit considerate with how much I do altogether, which means I'm not particularly "gud" at anything other than karate and yoga maybe, mostly because I did both for so long, and cycling perhaps, but that kinda came to me naturally in a way.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd been lifting three days a week for the past three months but I've been slacking hardcore due to finals. Maybe this thread'll be my motivation to get started again.

 

Getting decent exercise in does wonders for your mental health and overall sense of wellbeing. I've felt like total dogshit since I've stopped going to the gym.

Share this post


Link to post

I love working out but need to get back into it. But I work a heavy labor job as a brewer and bicycle to work about 2 miles each way every day, so thankfully I'm able to keep my muscle mass pretty stable.

Share this post


Link to post

I attend a local gym but have a tendency to put going for a few days, and then overdoing it later to overcompensate, leaving my muscle an aching mess. They offered free Muay Thai lessons which I took for a while, and immensely enjoyed, but for unexplained reasons they switched to traditional boxing, which I found to be far less engaging. 

 

I'm at 161 right now and trying to get to 155. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Ajora said:

leaving my muscle an aching mess.

I love that... that's when you know you've worked your arse off. Best thing is to wake up next day with your muscles still slightly on fire, that day you make a comfy one and have some nice ice cream (for example) to reward yourself, knowing your body is gonna burn most of it away anyways while the muscles regenerate. It is just the greatest thing.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I love that... that's when you know you've worked your arse off. Best thing is to wake up next day with your muscles still slightly on fire, that day you make a comfy one and have some nice ice cream (for example) to reward yourself, knowing your body is gonna burn most of it away anyways while the muscles regenerate. It is just the greatest thing.

 

The release of endorphins after a strenuous exercise is pleasantly euphoric, but when my body is in that state, I find it a little hard to concentrate on things. For me, the best reward after a tough workout is a glass of chocolate milk<3

Edited by Ajora

Share this post


Link to post

I do lots of kayaking and that's really all I do to 'work out'. Makes my arms look like I'm super serious about being fit and do weight lifting and stuff but I really don't.

Also, top tip to working out if you don't have any equipment or anything like that: Just pretend you're fighting an invisible man and get really into it, just punching the air alot can get you worked up really easily.

Share this post


Link to post

My wife is a personal trainer so I have no choice but to workout.

 

I fucking hate burpees

I fucking hate bear crawls

I love pretty much any upper body stuff

I love the GHD machine

I love that I have unnaturally big calves/legs and so I can always do 10-reps max weight on any leg machine

I don't hate crossfitters

 

I FUCKING HATE THAT I NEED TO EAT A BETTER DIET TO GET RID OF ALL THIS FLABBY FAT HANGING OFF THESE SCHWARZENEGGER MUSCLES

 

Been thinking about doing the Spartan race but my cardio is crap. My wife has the trifecta which is pretty cool because you get a third of a medallion for each one you do and getting all three lets you put them together (they have magnets inside)

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, wheresthebeef said:

I FUCKING HATE THAT I NEED TO EAT A BETTER DIET TO GET RID OF ALL THIS FLABBY FAT HANGING OFF THESE SCHWARZENEGGER MUSCLES

 

I hate that working in a brewery negates some of the results that all the physical labor entails, for obvious reasons. :v

Share this post


Link to post

Also, switching from a testosterone-based metabolism to an estrogen-based metabolism means that it's harder to build or hang onto muscle in general, but thankfully my frame, my profession and my body's general behavior has mitigated 90% of that.

Share this post


Link to post

Hike. In winter, ski or snowshoe. I have cross-country skis but need to get around to using them. (Maybe subconsciously I fear looking like an idiot if I am lousy on them, despite being an expert alpine skier.)

 

Share this post


Link to post

I work in a lumber yard, walk between 10 and 15 miles a day, and lift pieces of wood that weigh anywhere from 2 pounds to 150 pounds. At the end of the day I'm just too tired to workout.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Marn said:

I'd been lifting three days a week for the past three months but I've been slacking hardcore due to finals. Maybe this thread'll be my motivation to get started again.

 

Getting decent exercise in does wonders for your mental health and overall sense of wellbeing. I've felt like total dogshit since I've stopped going to the gym.

By jove does all this ring close to home. Just wrote the last exam, finally gonna visit the iron temple once again tomorrow.

 

My body type sucks for gaining mass and building muscle though, so I'm too self-conscious to train harder and more seriously than I currently do, given how generally fit everyone around is, since that'd look ridiculous in contrast :(

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ScreechingBoner said:

By jove does all this ring close to home. Just wrote the last exam, finally gonna visit the iron temple once again tomorrow.

 

My body type sucks for gaining mass and building muscle though, so I'm too self-conscious to train harder and more seriously than I currently do, given how generally fit everyone around is, since that'd look ridiculous in contrast :(

 

I was the same way and I'm still a pretty small dude but the reality is that nobody really cares since everyone is focused on their own workout.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, ScreechingBoner said:

By jove does all this ring close to home. Just wrote the last exam, finally gonna visit the iron temple once again tomorrow.

 

My body type sucks for gaining mass and building muscle though, so I'm too self-conscious to train harder and more seriously than I currently do, given how generally fit everyone around is, since that'd look ridiculous in contrast :(

 

Thats one of the worst thought processes you could have. Don't focus on anyone else but yourself in the gym. You may never be able to reach Brad Pitt Fight Club physique, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't absolutely kill it in the gym everytime you are there.

The best feeling is when someone more chiseled than you is doing some workout and you are next to them doing the same workout but better >:)

 

Also listen to some music that gets you going. Its easy to ignore everything around you when music you are super into is blasting in your ears.

Edited by wheresthebeef

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

 

Thats one of the worst thought processes you could have. Don't focus on anyone else but yourself in the gym. You may never be able to reach Brad Pitt Fight Club physique, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't absolutely kill it in the gym everytime you are there.

The best feeling is when someone more chiseled than you is doing some workout and you are next to them doing the same workout but better >:)

 

Also listen to some music that gets you going. Its easy to ignore everything around you when music you are super into is blasting in your ears.

 

I do understand that and such incredible results aren't really what I'm shooting for, both due to the specifics of my organism and the insufficient amounts of effort to warrant such high expectations (as of now, at least). And yes, music and podcasts are awesome companions :D

Never have been a sports kind of guy before, but the gym has significantly changed my outlook on the multifaceted importance of physical activity, especially in the sedentary big city lifestyle.

Spoiler

Guess most of my reservations simply come down to insecurities I'm currently working on resolving (with quite a lot of progress lately, in fact). Braving those feelings at the gym will definitely be another significant stepping stone.

Share this post


Link to post

I started working out 3 times per week + I keep on a healthy diet to lose some weight. I've lost only 10 lbs in two months but I keep trying. My trainer advised me to try cool sculpting procedures here beautyfixmedspa.com additionally to burn fat cells in the short period of time. This procedure has no contraindications. I'm going on my first procedure next week. Hope it helps.

Edited by luckyjack

Share this post


Link to post

Since this is the appropriate thread, can someone explain to me how the hell jerks and power cleans don't completely destroy your joints or why the hell anyone would look at a barbell and think that's something they should do with one?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×