Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Firedust

Would you pay for an OG Doom expansion if it were to be released by Bethesda?

4 hours ago, Xaser said:

In the super-rare chance something like this ever happens, I imagine there's a likelihood that the development would be done by community mappers, since pretty much all the official Doom expansions sans E4 and NRFTL are some form of this.

That actually would fit with their "Creation Club" thingamajig for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4.

I bought Doom II on Xbox 360 for No Rest for the Living back in 2010...I think id was already under Bethesda then.  So...I guess yeah...I have and I would.

EDIT: Let me establish that expansion was made by Nerve Software, not community mappers.  If this were done by community mappers, I would expect them to be paid the same as the compay's regular design staff for the duration of the project since they would technically be contracted employees.  And I would also expect the level of quality to be greater than their average release, and for some community mappers here that's asking a lot.

Edited by guitardz

10 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I think id was already under Bethesda then.

Yes, but NRFTL was created by Nerve Software, not id or Bethesda.

54 minutes ago, Gez said:

That actually would fit with their "Creation Club" thingamajig for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4.

It would, if they thought they could make money from it. But do you think Bethesda really thinks they can profit off the old idtech1 Doom community? Bethesda is a huge AAA company who probably cares little for catering to an obscure fanbase for a game from 1993. So I don't think they'll be bothered to make any official idtech1 expansions, let alone force us to pay for all of our mods like some of the more alarmist people in this thread are claiming.

1 hour ago, guitardz said:

If this were done by community mappers, I would expect them to be paid the same as the compay's regular design staff

Seeing how much the big corpos exploit their staff these days I sure hope our community mappers would actually get paid properly, by which I mean significantly more than the company's regulars. Sure it's not gonna happen, and yes I admit I'm dreaming big here, but game design for slave wages is dans game.

Ehh why not, No Rest for the Living was an amazing expension for Doom 2. maybe something of that quality or better, I wouldn't mind paying $5 or so max.

19 hours ago, Xaser said:

For those of you who gave a hard "no" with the reasoning that the community yields better output for free, would you change your answer if you found out it was developed by your favorite mapper(s)?

Everyone knows a modder asking making money from his creations makes him a sellout, look at TNT!! what a fucking Money Hungry Joke...

Serious note, yeah I would be even more inclined to support since I know the content I'll get will be made by a person in the community.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:18 AM, DooM_RO said:

If it had new levels, weapons, monsters, textures and ties the lore of the two games? Absolutely! In fact, it's not just about profit, they could even use it as marketing for the new game. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't do that for Doom 2016.

yeah I'd buy it for the sake of collecting everything doom, if it isn't bad or expensive.  I doubt they would put much effort into it because it's a niche product and community modders have much more experience with making stellar maps for free.

11 minutes ago, Pirx said:

yeah I'd buy it for the sake of collecting everything doom, if it isn't bad or expensive.  I doubt they would put much effort into it because it's a niche product and community modders have much more experience with making stellar maps for free.

It's more about giving modders new toys to play with. The maps are just the icing imho.

I'm not sure it'd really give modders new toys to play with. If there was a new official classic Doom extension with new monsters/weapons/goodies, then it'd require a port that implements them. Would you see that in Chocolate Doom? Most likely not -- its philosophy is to imitate the original DOS exes from the 90s, not any newer version, which is why it didn't follow the raised limits of the Classic Doom embedded in Doom 3: BFG Edition. How about PrBoom+? Its development appears to have stopped. If support is limited to advanced ports like GZDoom, EDGE, Eternity, or Doomsday, these ports already support custom content. So people who make maps for them don't need a hypothetical new official expansion to play with new toys.

I wouldnt trust Bethesda to do it. If it was multiplayer then I dont think that would turn out very well either...