Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Top 25 Cacoward Snubs

Great list! Even more for me to play. ;_( 

Selecting a winner out of anything and not piss someone off is nigh impossible. Don‘t worry about that. That‘s where the community comes in with its well worded and totally not salty recommendations of more WADs to enjoy! 

12 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Nice to see A.L.T. on that list! Still patiently hoping for a DWMC playthrough in the future.

Just keep voting for it.  Persistence pays off eventually :)

nice to see some of my all-time favorites on the docket (totg, skepland, pw), as well as a proper understanding of ToD maps. interesting choices, indeed

3 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Biggest snub: Army of Darkness Doom (1996) for its excellent Map03 that was in no way terrible

DITLLrW.png

By the way, if you ever want to make a logo fast and don't give a shit if it's completely cheesy, cooltext.com is a revelation

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

Biggest snub: Tormentor667 not receiving "Creator of the Year" in 2007.

This was the one I was thinking of right as I clicked the thread, heh.

Nice to see Demonized there as well. One of the first Boom compatible wads and a very underrated map set.

Doomworld's 25 Years is back at it, making sure I have no free time for the next few months.

Another list that, for the most part, I completely agree with. From the maps I recognized, they all definitely deserved better and I can't really think of anything else that I'd want to put there.

And yet another thread when I shamefully advertise what I consider the best Doom map ever made:

and a crime that it didn't get a cacoward IMHO.

Another misses are Foursite (which is largely disliked on this board for whatever reason) and E1M4b (also disliked).

Thanks for the writeup @rdwpa :D

Toilet of the Gods is in very good company, I'm humbled. Your HNTR recommendation reminds me that one of my few regrets is that there isn't easier platforming for the lower difficulties, and that I didn't spend more time implementing the lower difficulties in general. I've learned a lot since then. :D

While Demon Eclipse is still technically in progress under the name of Hell Forged, I was really sad not to see the final release of its first episode after it was separated from the rest of the project, or even the idgames release which kind of missed out on its award for the same reason as Scythe X and Sunder, on this list. But that's just me being an unpleasable crybaby. Hell Forged seems to be coming along well enough to have a chance at next year's Mordeth Award, and if there was even just a brief mention of one of the aforementioned earlier releases in its entry I think I'd be satisfied.

great article. bunch of outstanding work here; ALT and Sacrament are my faves to play and explore; Sunder, ESP and Toilet of the Gods are my faves to watch top players play and explore <3

Sacrment is such an amazing mapset, gotta love the big, lonely, post-apocalyptic landscapes,  but the music wasn't always fitting.

Also, I feel like Skulltag's invasion maps deserve a mention too.

really happy to see skepland up there, one of the first hard PWADs I played and although it kicked my ass tenfold I liked it enough to learn the maps and I ended up a lot better off at Doom for having beaten it. nice picks in the end though, this 25th anniversary just keeps giving!

Great list (at least through 2016), some wads I'm really happy to see picked like NOVA 2, Warlock's Hearth, Skepland, Plutonium Winds, Jade Earth, and Zaero to pick what I'd probably consider my favorites in the list. Least favorite might be Sacrament, in part simply because having ALT on the list already handled giving BOS its recognition here. 

NOVA 2 is IMO the best megawad to not get a Caco (it is almost like there was a CC5 and it got missed!), even though in some ways ALT is even more impressive, but for gameplay, NOVA 2 wins.

Best 'still snubs'? Probably a Stormwalker wad (but only one, as to give as many authors as possible their shot) and Titan 2 (by Ixnatiful) come to my mind quickest, factoring in that I tend to first consider episodes and authors who NEVER got any award to-date to be the top candidates here.

1 hour ago, Paul977 said:

Cool list even if it miss Disturbia

One nice thing about having the two big lists was being able to divide our priorities a little bit and give the most deserving type of recognition to any given project. We intentionally made the distinction between No Chance as the best d-d map (missed Cacowards) and Disturbia as the most memorable (top 100 memorable maps).

Before clicking on the list I already thought of ALT, and the list didn't disappoint. Glad that also Sacrament was included. Osiris and Invasion 2 also deserved it, overlooked works from the 90's. Scythe X and Sunder have a funny story for why they didn't made into the cacowards as people just waited for complete version that never came out. Never heard of Zaero, it looks nice by the description, going to play it soon.