Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

Experience Polish

She is from Poland, she is called Karol "DoomMaster" Szczecinski and she notified us about a ZDoom trilogy she created: "Experienced". You can get all three parts on her polish-only site but, since I guess you'll have troubles finding your way there, I'll be kind enough to direct-link to the files (at least, 2 of them):

First is "First Adventure" (surprisingly), a 6-level pack,
then comes "The City Ride", which contains 2 Wolfenstein-themed levels.
Regarding "Astro", the link on the project page is bugged and won't help unless you want to download "The City Ride" twice.

Those zips seriously lack text files but be aware latest ZDoom beta is recommended. That being said, Karol is waiting for your opinions. Be nice boys: female doomers tend to be rare nowadays... especially since Kat had.. ahem... troubles with some kind of electrical toy. Remember: electricity is Evil.

"403 - Dostêp zabroniony
Ta strona zosta³a administracyjnie zablokowana
lub konfiguracja serwera wyklucza Twój dostêp do niej."

That's what I got with the above links. The files seem to be downloading and reasonably easy to find by going direct to the pages though. The astro page does link to cityride, but the correct file is easy enough to find (at least I assume it's the correct file - I'm DLing just now, and it's very slow). And some of the file sizes seem to be incorrect too (at least thats what my DL proggy tells me).

Anyway, I'll just try putting the URLs in direct to see if that makes a difference:

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/kszczecinski/firstadv.zip 726K

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/kszczecinski/cityride.zip 371K

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/kszczecinski/astro.zip 243K

Edit: Hmmm odd. My links come up as 403s as well. The files are there though. I recommend using a download prog as the connection was broken a number of times during the download. All zips downloaded intact though, and I have the wads sitting here ready to look at.

Before I say anything, I played these wads with zdoom 1.23 beta 33 and then zdoom 1.22.

I'd have to say they're very buggy and the architecture is usually equal to or below id's doom2 levels. I did enjoy playing with the new guns/monsters and the gameplay was really well balanced when there were no bugs to interfere with it. That cherry bomb zombie was a good touch. There wasn't much usage of weapons #6 and #7 (and #5 in cityride). I'd love to see them implemented. What I really disliked are all the bugs. I mean, "press the USE key to plant c4." I press spacebar, but it doesn't seem to work. Some of the levels are also unfinishable, like cityride map02 and firstadv map03/map04.

female doomers tend to be rare nowadays

Er, yeah, I remember back when we were inundated with female doomers. Yeah, thank goodness those days are over. Seriously, anyone tried out these levels? Are they any good? I would myself, but I'm not exactly in a position to, being at college without my computer and all. Sure, well, I guess someone had better do something, or pretty soon we'll be swarmed with female doomers, because you know there are just thousands of them out there, and it would be terrible if they one day just all arrived at once and took over Doomworld.

Arioch said:

The "she" is probably a "he".

Yeah. As odd as it may seem, I think Karol is a masculine name in Poland. You'll find evidence if you do a Google (image, perhaps) search.

The "she" is probably a "he".

I had the same thing happen to me... man, prom night sucked!

Yeah, I'd go with Virgil on this. Some interesting ideas, graphics, weapons and other dehacked tricks but none of them shown off well because of very buggy and very limited maps.

Some maps (as said) simply cannot be completed, for me the worst was map 03 of firstadv which contained well over 500 monsters, all set to dormant and simply getting in the way - unkillable, unmovable and as far as I could tell no script to activate them. Checking them in the editor, they all had a tid of 100, as did many of the static items like candelabras. Careless mapping with no playtesting methinks. There was a (dormant) mancubus standing blocking a switch that didn't have a special attached to it anyway and the C4 room couldn't be crossed as that's where most of the dormant monsters were. On playing with -nomonsters though, I was able to plant the C4, and sure enough the wall blew up a few seconds later.

Julian said:
especially since Kat had.. ahem... troubles with some kind of electrical toy.

with a vibrator?

maybe it's both.

but look at this:
I.e. in french different gender makes different words (par exemple vieux,
vieille [EN: old m/w]), maybe this happens in Polish too?

It would've been easier just to write he/she or s/he.. I personally don't care about race/gender anyway.

"...electricity is Evil."

Heh. Reminds me of that toned-down Tessela coil that I accidentally touched when I was a kid... Point: if it hums and crackles, stay away from it. :)

Virgil said:

I personally don't care about race/gender anyway.

As Gunnery Sargeant Hartman ("Full Metal Jacket") said, here we are all
_equally_ (worthless).

Hirogen2 said:

As Gunnery Sargeant Hartman ("Full Metal Jacket") said, here we are all
_equally_ (worthless).

Hell yeh! Amen to that. :)