Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Joy of Mapping 6: JOY ETERNAL - RELEASED

19 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

@Bridgeburner56 Seeing how you like to add an insane amount of detail to your maps, it'll be interesting to see a speedmap from you.

Yeah it's gonna be an intersting challenge. I'll be streaming it too so come watch the struggle 

I am gonna try this mapping thing out again but not give up because of doors this time.

@Jimmy

Since this is somewhat centered around Romero's new episode why not also include those unused textures he released a while ago?

The time-frame is kinda tough for me, but who knows, I might do a drive by map.  If anything, I'll try to fiddle with UDMF, which I've never touched before.

edit: yah, I don't think I'll have much time for this.  Best of luck to all

Edited by NoisyVelvet

I'd like to give this a shot if there is still room. It's been a while since I worked on a community project but this seems like a good place to start again.

@Jimmy I'm in.

I think I definitely don’t want to miss this event. On the other hand, I’m a bit tired of the mapping. Maybe I will do something completely simple, but if it does not look good, then I will not submit it ...

By the way, the DooM_RO idea is interesting. It seems to me an omission that Romero does not use these textures in the future Sigil episode. Even if we do JoM without them now, we should not leave the idea to make a project with their presence (or maybe it already was?).

Yay! Actually, even yesterday I was thinking if this project started and the last time I checked the discord chat it was pretty unclear understand if it started already or not...

I have in mind something for episode 4...

The time might actually permit me to participate this time around. I'll try to squeeze it in and slap something together :D

We're underway!
Time to make another megawad together.

Discord server - Join NOW to be part of this!

Here are your resource WADs:
Doom 1 textures for Doom 2

Doom 2 textures for Doom 1

Extra decorations (GZDoom-exclusive)

• Please either make a post in this thread saying which episode you'd like to map for, OR (preferably) join my Discord and look in the #session-general channel for instructions on how to be a part of the session.
  • If you want to make more than one map, that's fine if you know you can do so in three days, but ideally we all should just be working on one at a time.
  • If you want to make an episode opener or finale, you'll have to join my Discord as soon as you can to get in quick and secure your place, as only eight slots in the project exist for these special levels, and they might all go straight away, since Discord is an instant chat medium, as opposed to a forum.

I'll tally up the posts in this thread in a short while, and add you all to the teams accordingly. You'll then all get access to unique text/voice channels on my Discord. Ideally the teams should be of similar size, so please be considerate when voting!

Have fun, everyone! o/

Edited by Jimmy

On 12/12/2018 at 12:39 PM, DooM_RO said:

Here's an idea for a level, a hell level that makes use of the textures in such a way that the level looks like candy. Kind of like a place where greedy people go.

@DooM_RO, I took inspiration from this idea and ran with it. I hope you don't mind (if you do, I can do something else.)

Very glad I did this, thank you organizers and everybody I chatted with in the Discord.  It's a hugely valuable exercise to step out of the one location I've been adding custom textures to for the past few weekends and make something entirely new from scratch, and on top of that try to stick to an established style rather than do my own thing.

As always it was a really fun event! Can't wait to see the full thing with dozens of maps. Thanks Jimmy for organizing it again!

It was nice mapping with you all, and I've seen some really amazing stuff during the 3 days involved. I hope to see it all live soon!

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed themselves so much! The compilation is in the works. Pavera and I will be putting the last few touches to the hub map (which we think you'll like) and then the internal testing phase will be ready to go.

Brief summary of my experience:

Day 1: "Ok time to get to work!", I say to myself, only to stare at an empty Doom Builder grid.

Day 2: "Ok fuck this I can't map for shit" As I see everyone else making progress

Day 3: "What the fuck why am I getting this mapping energy now???" As I scramble to finish what little map I had left.

I wasn't enjoying it that much, but It was worth it in the end. Part of the enjoyment is to see people's feedback of a map you just posted. Also, I really should learn how to plan out my works in an efficient manner.

i'm so happy i finally finished a map!! the map i made exceeded my expectations and the feedback i got was both generally very positive and also very helpful. it's also been fun to playtest other people's work. no complaints at all!

Here's my day summaries:

Day 1: Hey let's make an arena that transforms over time!

Day 2: Hey let's scrap that arena I worked on and just make an E3M1 tribute off the cuff!

Day 3: Hey what if E3M1 never ended and the player was stuck in hell for eternity where all the doors are cyberdemons and all the walls are archviles?

Summary:

Day 1: "Oh god, JOM6 started, and I'm stuck at work, shit shit shit", get back home, map for the evening and then: "shit it's midnight already? I've only mapped 2 rooms."

Day 2: "Oh god, 2 days left on JOM6, and I'm stuck at work, shit shit shit", get back home, map for the evening and then: "shit it's midnight already? I've done almost all rooms, and only the arena fight is left"

Day 3: "Oh god, 1 day left on JOM6, and I'm stuck at work, shit shit shit", get back home, mapping during the evening I'm like: "I'm not gonna make it, I'm not gonna make it..." and then I made it.

TL:DR: Pressure, but it was fun :V

Thanks to @AtroNx for helping me with some Boom tricks.

For me it is a small miracle whenever I mange to make a map in under 6 months. So community projects like this one are always useful for proving to myself that it does not have to take that long. I think the added pressure helps.

My dev. diary:

Day 1: I enthusiastically start drawing a map plan. In my thoughts I draw something very simple and linear, without unnecessary details. In the second half of the day I start creating base geometry and I understand that gameplay will be boring, and architecture even worse. Worse even than any vanilla map.

Day 2: I start experiments with detailing ... The resultant is constantly disliked and redone. In the end, it starts to tire. I play a map from Voltcom9 and I found out that my map is completely dull in terms of planned gameplay. I did nothing the rest of the day.

Day 3: For some reason I decided to make another attempt to finish the map. I started from a different area, the process went better, but I understand that I don’t have time to do 70% of the map in one day. And all ... my desire to mapping ends finally.

When the final build comes out, I carefully dig into each map to see how you all do it.

My story's less interesting. :P

Day 1: 1 hour mapping session at lunch; 2 hour mapping session on stream later that night > half done.
Day 2: 1 hour mapping session at lunch; 2.5 hour mapping session on stream later that night > done.

Edited by Dragonfly

My story is even less interesting

Day one: i did the map in boom and asked for feedback to then fix through said feedback.

Day two: got the midi and asked for permission.

Day three: Implemented the midi in the wad and submitted it.

I tried to keep a very EP2 style with the map, which ive heard from feedback that i achieved it well.

There is a slight questionable design in one of the rooms but outside of it, its quite good!

Over all it was a great experience just like the last 2 i did, it was nice testing doom 1 textures for once too!

I had work every day of the event, so my plan was to map out as much as I could when I go at home. Ended up having a solid idea in my head and churned out progress within a couple of hours each day.

These sessions are always fun to partake in, thanks Jimbo.