Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Joy of Mapping 6: JOY ETERNAL - RELEASED

Heh, I was just thinking when the next session was due. Looks like I am in luck. Also, it lasts only three days, which means I can spare time for it. I know I am not exactly a new mapper but to me it still feels like I am. I kind of struggle with making layouts and I would love to fix that. Count me in if you want.

nice! i'm so happy that this is happening when i have time/am down to do it! i said something in the discord channel already, but i'm totally in.

I hope there‘ll be streams and — more importantly — archivals of said streams, for the people like me who decided to live in a stupid timezone and / or a country that blocks both twitch and youtube. FML

Oh and have fun! Can‘t wait to see the results. :D

54 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Megaspere-like my post if I should do a puzzle map, Invul-like my post if I should do a Sunder-esque map, and Invis-like my post if I should do a story-based map with no text or monsters.

Ugh i can't chose all three!

1 hour ago, elend said:

I hope there‘ll be streams and — more importantly — archivals of said streams, for the people like me who decided to live in a stupid timezone and / or a country that blocks both twitch and youtube. FML

Oh and have fun! Can‘t wait to see the results. :D

this problem made me imagine a demo format for doom builder hee
a tiny movement macro log file which recreates a map as you watch
if speedruns can have them so should we all

A shame this is during weekdays, I might not be able to commit the time to do another Bob Ross styled automap! D:

Hopefully I can find the time to participate. Good luck everyone!

Not sure how I feel about using only stock resources. At least useful edits of the base textures should be provided like red versions of the marble textures and so on. 

I'm new here and I'd like to join something like this. I've made mods for Morrowind and Skyrim but never Doom. Maybe if I take some tutorials, I'll be ready by the 17th, but I'm not sure if a total newbie like me would be good enough for a project like this.

@TheSuperSteve Certainly I recommend using the time before we start to download the necessary tools like Doom Builder or SLADE and reading up on how a basic Doom map is constructed. But we've had total beginners before here at JoM, so we'll show you the ropes. :) And any prior experience you've had will come in handy here, I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

@TheSuperSteve Certainly I recommend using the time before we start to download the necessary tools like Doom Builder or SLADE and reading up on how a basic Doom map is constructed. But we've had total beginners before here at JoM, so we'll show you the ropes. :) And any prior experience you've had will come in handy here, I'm sure.

Great! I'll go for it then! I've messed around with SLADE, so I'll try that one out first. I'll take some tutorials and see what I can do.

Wow its cool that we're getting another session; I've had a lot of fun with these in the past! Count me in for something speedmappy :D

If it was just about any other time during the year, I would love to participate. But since it's December--and it's during the middle of the week--I don't know if I'll be able to.

Too bad. I was looking forward to making a short Episode 1 themed Doom 1 map.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

What are the themes of the episodes?

The original four episodes of Ultimate Doom, basically.

Also the themes are not usually revealed until the very start of the session, this JoM will be the exception to that. :P

Looking forward to this one, the JoM series are the best speedmaps i have played!

Actually, you know what? Count me in! Do i have to enter the Discord server for this, right? And if i understand correctly, i'm going to be walked through the basics of making a fun map?

Edited by -TDRR- : this is the beginning of a new paragraph

19 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

Looking forward to this one, the JoM series are the best speedmaps i have played!

Actually, you know what? Count me in! Do i have to enter the Discord server for this, right? And if i understand correctly, i'm going to be walked through the basics of making a fun map?

Yeah, it's recommended to join discord server for newest updates and help during session. People will help if you have problems with mapping. 

29 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

@Jimmy

But I assume there's going to be Hell right? I'd like to make a small-midsized Hell map.

What was e3 again? Oh nm I just remembered it's a candy shop.

27 minutes ago, Fonze said:

What was e3 again? Oh nm I just remembered it's a candy shop.

To be fair, the colors in Doom are so bright that I've always thought the hell textures look like candy. It's sweet and pleasant rather than grotesque.

Here's an idea for a level, a hell level that makes use of the textures in such a way that the level looks like candy. Kind of like a place where greedy people go.

Edited by DooM_RO