Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Doomsday 2.1 released

I really wish Doomsday had Boom support by now, I'm not sure I can be bothered setting it up to play maps I'd rather use Crispy Doom on. Keeping an eye on development though, glad to see Skyjake still plugging away.

I remember in the mid to late 2000s, the Doomsday forum on NewDoom felt like its own separate little community. Good times!

Yeah, actually it does already support some Boom stuff, but not enough for most Boom-compatible mapsets, and the port poorly advertizes what features it does support.

By the way I just noticed that the old Doomsday Engine Wiki (or DEW) is no more and that old links to the documentation now redirect to the Doomsday manual which does not have the same articles, so that means the Doom Wiki has a lot of links to update the hard way.

I believe Dday currently supports Boom's ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps.

That said, it would be possible to mimic a bunch of Boom's linetypes with XG; just write a ded of XG def's that have the same ID's and do the same things as Boom's linetypes. XG has no hardcoded line/sector ID's thus you can number them however you wish to and use them to overwrite existing ones (i.e overwrite Vanilla Doom's linetype 11 with an XG def that lowers a floor and raises the light level of the tagged sector).

Edited by Vermil

14 hours ago, Vermil said:

I believe Dday currently supports Boom's ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps.

That said, it would be possible to mimic a bunch of Boom's linetypes with XG; just write a ded of XG def's that have the same ID's and do the same things as Boom's linetypes. XG has no hardcoded line/sector ID's thus you can number them however you wish to and use them to overwrite existing ones (i.e overwrite Vanilla Doom's linetype 11 with an XG def that lowers a floor and raises the light level of the tagged sector).

Well, do it then. I see you posting on Doomsday forum and about the Doomsday port, is it your main port? Do you play Boom megawads on it?

I figure the main problem would be handling Boom's generalized lines. You can't just make a series of simple value = effect declarations for these. Well, you could, technically speaking, but it'd be very inefficient.