Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Witchfire [dark fantasy shooter]

This was revealed a year ago but we haven't heard much since then. Witchfire is a new game from The Astronauts, the creators of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Some of their devs also worked on Painkiller and Bulletstorm in the past so they're going back to that with this game.

The game uses Unreal Engine 4 and sports the same photogrammetry technology that was used to create the amazingly detailed environments in Ethan Carter. It's supposed to be primarily gameplay focused with no story cutscenes. As of right now the developers expect it to be released in 2020.

The reason I'm bringing this up now is that starting today The Astronauts will post weekly development updates, slowly revealing more and more about the game. You can keep an eye on their pages but I'm interested so I'll be posting any new dev diares for everyone who might not be bothered to follow them on Twitter or something. Anyway, here's the first one (a couple of gifs inside):

Witchfire Diary #1: Witchfire, a Year After Reveal

Excerpt:

"Witchfire is a first person shooter focused on challenge and mastery. We’re trying to make sure it’s accessible and there are many roads to the ultimate victory but you’ll still need to prove your witch-hunting skills if you’re after all of its secrets.

To get one thing out of the way: Witchfire is not a story-based game. There’s lore to discover and decipher, but no cut-scenes to follow. A project like that – e.g. like Bulletstorm, a game that some of us directed – would be bordering on impossible for a tiny team like ours. More importantly, though, the heart of the game is somewhere else."

Aaand the original teaser trailer if you want to refresh your memory:

Huh, so that's still alive is it?  I remember thinking it looked cool but I guess I mentally blended it into Hellraid which seems to have died.