Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nootrac4571

TEKWALL4 base image

That's actually pretty badass. Love the blue tone it has now. We just need someone to touch it up in the shop and scale down to 128px.

That is interesting and really cool. I am working on a Doom-styled Logo for a private forum of my friends and I. I could have needed this tile back then already.

Do we know the origin of the texture (there's a thread on here regarding that) - seems to be from a PC card of some sort. Would be cool if we could track it down.

26 minutes ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

Do we know the origin of the texture (there's a thread on here regarding that) - seems to be from a PC card of some sort. Would be cool if we could track it down.

I presume you mean these patches:

994416599_tekwallcircuitboard.jpg.55b24141beebc761a9971d7c72c04a72.jpg

Popular wisdom has it that they're photos of a Gravis Ultrasound, but there's a million different versions of that card: Here are a few possible candidates, from roughly the right time period:

332187351_gravisultrasound.jpg.bfce1960fc332a2c51f465b535f313a3.jpg

I've had a go at trying to spot the source material, but have had no luck so far.

43 minutes ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

Do we know the origin of the texture (there's a thread on here regarding that)

There is, unfortunately all the images in it are broken. :(

20 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice that TEKWALL4 is based on scans of the Doom logo, but just for fun I had a go at reconstructing it:

tekwall4_resource.jpg.972c140e3d7f1c505e70d4df0dea1e80.jpg

It's not quite perfect: There's something going on in the far top right corner that I haven't quite worked out yet, but I though this might be useful for folks working on hi-res textures or the like.

TEKWALL4_base.jpg.104cfca5cc39ffa195b062203f1e4d8d.jpg

Holy crap - another example of something I've seen thousands of times, and not put to together. Good eye! Adrian and Kevin were so resourceful - the way they managed to turn the same source materials into multiple game resources, without it being blatantly obvious just blows my mind.

We can use that to build new textures, and a new logo in the same style!

I was actually thinking about making a vector version of the logo, but that's a looot of details. Will take me ages. :( I would love to see a huge and clean version of the logo, though.

wall18.png 

Iirc there is a photo in some of the unreleased pics horde of the actual card you guys are talking about..

Here they are!

unknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by Fuzzball

4 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Very quick attempt at a larger tiling texture based on the same source image:

TEKWALL4_PLUS.jpg.6fcca507aa6f1803a690cbaba8bdc572.jpg

Hey, that's awesome! Can you post it in, say, PNG though, instead of JPG? JPGs, by their very nature, have imperfections due to the lossy compression they use. PNGs use a loseless compression, so the image is perfect. Thanks! That looks great! That can be used to create new Doom logos that look like Doom logos. Now, we just need to find the lower, orange part.

9 hours ago, Fuzzball said:

Iirc there is a photo in some of the unreleased pics horde of the actual card you guys are talking about..

Here they are!

117438214_circuitboard.png.962cec1e48ca34239d1e866437164991.png

Aha, looks very nearly spot on!

Holy shit, I did not know this! I feel like there are things I still do not know about Doom, even though I spend a lot of time desperately looking for secrets and trivia about Doom!

22 hours ago, XLightningStormL said:

Whilst an excellent texture, it only tiles horizontally, not vertically.

Yeah, it's just the same rectangular sections placed in the same positions; the obvious seams are much more noticeable without the downscaling, recolouring and palletisation that Id did. This'll need some massaging to work as an actual texture. I've have a go at making it better when I next get a bit of free time.

@Teder: Holy crap, it's the Borg!

On 12/13/2018 at 7:41 PM, Fuzzball said:

Here they are!

Nice find!

On 12/14/2018 at 5:01 AM, Nootrac4571 said:

Done, edited post above

Thanks!

On 12/14/2018 at 12:24 PM, Teder said:

@Nootrac4571 badass work!

EDIT: a little recolored

TEKWALL4_PLUS copy.jpg

That is amazingly close. Was it easy to recolor, or did you have to hit each pixel? What did you use?

Why did some of you post those printed circuit boards? While some other tekwalls are indeed based on PCBs (which makes them look really dumb at that scale), this TEKWALL4 really looks to me like a huge machine (as it should be!), nothing like a PCB :|

By the way, it's total badass and totally deserving a mega spider mastermind showdown!

Hey I know I'm bumping this thread but I wanted to thank you on my new desktop background.  I think it looks really good tiled like that!

Background.png