Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Does Anyone else think that TNT has godawful level design?

I talk about when Dario Casali forgot to put the yellow key in pharaoh map31, and when I fought around last call, I couldn't find the place to shoot my rockets at the icon of sin right before I get telefragged at the demon face pad, the whole teleport dummy thing was just an unfair thing when crossing from one platform to another, and when I went through central processing (which hails from the oldest style phobos to the newest style TNT itself) I had trouble finding the exit and I couldn't find which way to go

Edited by RonLivingston

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

For me it’s a true mixed bag.

It's literally a mixed bag ;P

To be honest, a community project (probably not very well organized either) back then, it is pretty impressive to have such a thing, with custom musics too. Yeah, probably quality control is not really a thing for this IWAD, but it takes quite a long to have make community project having a unified style or so. Probably people like to compare things from this age to things back then. It's not that fair.

BTW, the Invulnerability in Map27 can be strategically used for the outdoor area since there's no actual threat for the lower part of the map. The opening to the starting room can block monsters from exiting the lower part, and players can deal with the group upped monster easily. Sometimes, players should think more to make good use of resources to deal with the correct part, rather than complaining about unfairness.

It does have a couple awful maps. But I think it's mostly decent, and I quite like its secret levels. My only major criticism towards TNT is that most of its highs are fairly average when put next to the highs of Memento Mori and Plutonia. Even Icarus had a couple highs that beat out any of TNT's for me.

9 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Wait, people actually say that?

The Doom 64 part was more surprising to me as well, Doom 2 not so much. The levels in that game don't get as much love as those in the first game, and are typically considered inferior in terms of quality. Needless to say I disagree. 

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

The Doom 64 part was more surprising to me as well, Doom 2 not so much. The levels in that game don't get as much love as those in the first game, and are typically considered inferior in terms of quality. Needless to say I disagree. 

Doom 2 is personally my favorite game in the series. It adds new monsters, a longer campaign with bigger maps, more mods, and of course, the goddamn Super Shotgun.

1 hour ago, TakenStew22 said:

more mods

That's not a quality of Doom II's maps, however.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:16 AM, TakenStew22 said:

Fuck that sewage area. My OCD got the best of me and I wanted to kill and collect as many demons and items as possible. But I was running out of radiation suits and my health was draining rapidly. The only truly annoying part of the map imo.

The music was great though, suited this map.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, RonLivingston said:

I talk about when Dario Casali forgot to put the yellow key in pharaoh map31, and when I fought around last call, I couldn't find the place to shoot my rockets at the icon of sin right before I get telefragged at the demon face pad, the whole teleport dummy thing was just an unfair thing when crossing from one platform to another, and when I went through central processing (which hails from the oldest style phobos to the newest style TNT itself) I had trouble finding the exit and I couldn't find which way to go

By the way, if you need to patch your TNT.WAD file to fix that yellow key card bug, here's one way to do it:

http://downloads.zdaemon.org/iwadpatcher-1.2-bin.zip

Just follow the instructions in the readme (using TNT_19ANTH to patch it) and you will be all set.  

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

The music was great though, suited this map.

My favorite track in TNT.

Metal as fuck (no pun intended).

TNT is my favorite IWAD, and i know there's the terrible Habitat and less than great Mount Pain, but really the rest of the IWAD was very fun.

I always liked a lot of maps from TNT, loved it more than Plutonia (which seemed too browny to me). I guess my taste or therefore lack of is awful.

For example, the Habitat mentioned, I loved those weirdly detailed tunnels, it's one of the maps I like. I am pretty sure if I check back the rest of the level, I'll find many ones that are favorites.

Evilution (and subsequently Plutonia) gave me everything I wanted by the time I was in the need to play Doom extras. There is nothing godawful in it imo. Weak stuff, sure, but TNT holds a special place in my memory. 

16 hours ago, Master O said:

Does Anyone else think that multiple threads about wads having god awful level designs are annoying?

Well, it's interesting to read about what different people find awful in wads, you can read some "pearls" every now and then too.

16 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Well, it's interesting to read about what different people find awful in wads, you can read some "pearls" every now and then too.

Most of the time though, those threadstarters just go on long rants about how they hate certain wads.