Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

How many classic Doom games there are?

I know the Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 with master levels and Final Doom ( TNT Evulition and The Plutinia Experiment). That's all. I don't know if there are different classic Doom games. I encounter different Doom Videos such as Plutonia 2 on youtube.

Plutonia 2 is a fanmade map pack for Plutonia that replaces all 32 of the original levels- such map packs are called megawads by the community.

Doom, Doom 2, and the Final Doom wads are the only four standalone official classic Doom games, not counting console ports or Doom 64. There are other commercial addons for Doom 2 such as Master Levels, as you mentioned, as well as Perdition's Gate (since rereleased for free) and the rarer Hell to Pay, however these are loaded alongside Doom 2 and are not standalone.

There's also Chex Quest, which was originally distributed in Chex cereal boxes and has also been distributed for free since alongside two sequels. Lastly, there's HacX, which has also since been distributed for free. 

There were other packs sold in the 90's that were collections of fanmade map packs but many of these are of questionable quality. Most fanmade maps nowadays can be found at /idgames, which has thousands of fanmade WADs including level packs, weapon mods, graphic and music replacements, and more. This is where you would find your Plutonia 2 type WADs. 

EDIT: Almost forgot, there's other non-Doom games that use Doom engine technology. Heretic is similar to Doom, but uses a fantasy setting and makes use of new features such as storable inventory. Hexen is a sequel to Heretic that uses advanced scripting and a hub-based map progression format. Strife introduces a story element, featuring character dialogue, one large hub revolving around a town, and very barebones character progression through accuracy and stamina upgrades.

There's also fanmade standalone games, mostly using advanced ports such as GZDoom. Some examples include Action Doom 2, a  free story-based first person beat-em-up, and The Adventures of Square, a cartoony standalone shoot-em-up with some unique map gimmicks, also free. With GZDoom ever-expanding as an engine, you'll likely see many new standalone projects  running on it in the future, both free and commercial.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

TheMightyHeracross covered a whole lot in his post but another commercial expansion for Doom2 is ‘No Rest for the Living’, these maps are of a pretty high standard, I really enjoy them.

How many "Classic Doom games" depends largely on what you include in that description.

But strictly speaking, there's just three: the original Doom (shareware, registered, and later retailed at The Ultimate Doom), Doom II: Hell on Earth, and finally Final Doom. Final Doom contains two different IWADs so you can see it as two different games, but it's just one.

Technically, you can also count any official port as a classic Doom game in its own right. That'll give you a lot more because in addition to the aforementioned three games for the PC, you have ports to other computer platforms (Mac, NEC, RiscOS, etc.), ports to consoles (Jaguar, 32X, 3D0, SNES, PSX, etc.), mobile devices (iPhone, PocketPC, Zodiac). And you can also factor in localized variants when available: Japanese, Chinese, German, French, etc. Sometimes the differences aren't that big: German Doom II merely cut off the two Wolfenstein 3D easter egg levels to comply with German regulations regarding the use of Nazi iconography, it's otherwise identical to the English version (not actually translated to German language).

It can be hard to choose whether something should count. Jaguar Doom, for example, is just a port of Doom to the Atari Jaguar, with simplified levels and less of them. It still features a couple of new levels. PSX Doom builds upon Jaguar Doom a lot, with many more new levels, as well as more conversions from PC Doom, fancy colored lighting effects, and a brand-new soundscape. But it's still just supposed to be Doom and Doom II. New game? Doom 64 is a whole new game with redone visuals, redone soundscape (based on PSX version), all new levels, a new story that's presented as a sequel to the PC games, but it's still based on the original Doom engine, working on the same principles, just running on a different platform. So does it count as a separate classic Doom game while other console ports don't? I'd lean towards yes personally.

But if we're starting to count Doom engine games as classic Doom games, then we can bring more! Heretic can largely be thought as a fantasy reskin for Doom, though there are important differences and gameplay is a quite different implementation of the same basic formula. Hexen built upon Heretic but got some action RPG trappings (without being an RPG at all, mind). Strife goes ever further than Hexen towards having actual RPG elements, complete with different endings depending on your playthrough. Chex Quest and Hacx are officially licensed TCs but they are much closer to Doom than any of the other licensed titles mentioned in this paragraph, as they didn't change the engine much. (Or at all, technically, in the case of Hacx. All the behavior changes were implemented through DeHackEd.)

There are four "official" Doom games made by Id software, two out of four are made by different people.

We got DOOM I and II (both made by Id), while other two TNT Evilution and The Plutoian Experiment made by TeamTNT and Dario and Milo Casail respectively.

There's Chex Quest, a family friendly game that got two sequels. HacX was also release, and thankly it became royal to the Doom community. Both of these games are free to download.

There's Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.

There's even fanmade games like The Adventurers of Square, Shadow and Rise of the Wool Ball, Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl, Harmony, and many more, all of these fanmade games are free too.

1 hour ago, Apaul27 said:

There are four "official" Doom games made by Id software, two out of four are made by different people.

We got DOOM I and II (both made by Id), while other two TNT Evilution and The Plutoian Experiment made by TeamTNT and Dario and Milo Casail respectively.

There's Chex Quest, a family friendly game that got two sequels. HacX was also release, and thankly it became royal to the Doom community. Both of these games are free to download.

There's Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.

There's even fanmade games like The Adventurers of Square, Shadow and Rise of the Wool Ball, Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl, Harmony, and many more, all of these fanmade games are free too.

Also, don't forget Strife: Veteran Edition.

Doom is one Doom, but three coeternal consubstantial games or hypostases—the Doom, the Commercial Version (Doom 2), and the PWAD—as "one Doom in three Divine Packages". The three Games are distinct, yet are one "substance, essence or nature" (homoousios).

I see it like this:

1. The Ultimate Doom

2. Doom 2

3. Final Doom

4. Doom 64

Expansions like NRFTL and Master Levels are in item 2. The Playstation versions of item 1 to 3 are included in the same item listing. The other console ports are too similar to the PC counterpart to be listed.

15 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I see it like this:

1. The Ultimate Doom

2. Doom 2

3. Final Doom

4. Doom 64

Expansions like NRFTL and Master Levels are in item 2. The Playstation versions of item 1 to 3 are included in the same item listing. The other console ports are too similar to the PC counterpart to be listed.

I see it like this as well. Doom 3 to me is more of a "modern classic" if anything.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, Doomkid said:

TheMightyHeracross covered a whole lot in his post but another commercial expansion for Doom2 is ‘No Rest for the Living’, these maps are of a pretty high standard, I really enjoy them.

Just to reiterate for anyone who doesn't already own it (not directed at Doomkid):

No Rest for the Living can be purchased via Steam or GOG as part of the Doom 3: BFG Edition release.  NRFTL's filename is "NERVE.WAD", named after https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Nerve_Software

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/No_Rest_for_the_Living