Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2019 Mentionation Thread

I have 3 mapsets to nominate for now.

• Eviternity, of course
  • Refracted Reality (former Infinite Void, coming soon)
  • Spooktober Community Project

+++Eviternity

+++Ozonia

+++Bury My Heart Knee Deep (2018 snub, but RC3 came out this month, and final version is not out yet - so it should still be eligible for a secomd chance!)

+++SIGIIL (in advance, yeah)

Cacoward years usually begin ~November 10 IIRC, especially for larger projects, though I don't think the date is 'fixed' (except that it cannot be later than December 10). For example Alfonzone was released in November 2017 but got runner up in 2018.

Also you probably want to pin this (and unpin 2018 which has been closed anyways).

Is OTEX eligible for some kind of award? Like 'best resource wad'

Edited by FrancisT18

Let's be blunt, SIGIL is probably a shoo-in. We'll need to actually play it for sure, but it's almost certainly worth mentioning.

If SIGIL is as good as Romero's Knee Deep In The Dead (E1 + E1M4B/E1M8B), then you're going to have to break the glass on the emergency 11th Cacoward golden Caco trophy. I wonder if he's going to get the hell theme right since he only did tech-bases before.

SIGIL raises an interesting question: When one of Doom's creators releases a Doom wad or megawad, is it automatically going to get a Cacoward, because they're the game's creators?

Also, on an unrelated note, we should give an Anti-Cacoward to Dragonfly whenever he eventually releases a bad map. (joking)

+++Eviternity

I also feel ukiro deserves some mention for otex since it's a really fantastic and versatile texture pack

1 hour ago, Master O said:

SIGIL raises an interesting question: When one of Doom's creators releases a Doom wad or megawad, is it automatically going to get a Cacoward, because they're the game's creators?

Not necessarily. Just because you (as the game's creator) release a new map pack for a 25-year old game, it does not automatically award you with the shiny golden trophy.

2019 hasn't even begun yet, and we don't konw what other epic gems next year will bring us. So we should probably wait until... At least November next year, by then we'll know whether or not Romero will be enshrined once again in Doomworld Golden Trophy Fame.  At the very least, let's see how the rest of the SIGIL mapset looks before making a determination like that. Sure, we all know Romero still knows what he's doing and how to kick our asses in vanilla-compatible maps, but time will tell.

Edited by Traysandor

OTEX absolutely should get something. But I'd be sad to see it just be one of the ten main awards because those belong to projects containing maps IMO. Also:

+++Deathless (similar to Doom 404; as good or better)

+++Order of the Odonata

Quite a few 2018 snubs (that have been updated or released within the 'grace period') up for nomination already, few if any likely to win. But OTOH when you can think of five wads to nominate six weeks into the year that is certainly not a bad thing. :)

Edited by FrancisT18

I strongly agree about Jimmy being mentioned for Espi award, the man has cranked out a ridiculous amount of maps over the years, and damn good ones too.

Honestly, im not gonna nominate eviternity, it doesn't deserve all the prais...who am i kidding? 

+++eviternity of course. Fantastic mapset from dragonfly and all the wonderful people involved. Fantastic work by ukiro too for his phenomenal texture pack. 

+++Jimmy for Espi. He even went through a most devastating friend loss, and his output hardly seemed to suffer for long.

+++Ukiro for Creator, with OTEX mentioned

+++UDTWID for Caco AND for Mordeth (of course later is subject to change....)

Eviternity without any shred of doubt.

Jimmy winning an Espi is something I can see happening, and it is well deserved too, for all the reasons Xaser has already mentioned.

OTEX should definitely win something. That texture set is a work of art.

+++ Eviternity (didn't play yet but just from the videos/pics it looks awesome)

+++ Refracted Reality (eye candy/ yummy pics)

+++ Deathless (pure old schooly/ classic)