Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2019 Mentionation Thread

So how does "mentioning" actually work? Do we have unlimited nominations? If the most perfect MegaWAD ever doesn't get mentioned, then it doesn't get a Cacoward? Or is this mentioning merely a way, to steer the attention of the judges to WADs they maybe, possibly, perhaps might have missed?

4 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

This thread just let's us scan a single location to find good releases, so the onus is on the community to make sure we don't miss something.

This answers a question that I had: Whether the Mentionation thread actually has an effect on what maps get considered by the Cacoward judges?

And the answer is that this thread apparently does influence what the judges may look at. They can still completely dismiss any particular project, but at least they're forced to see the title.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Megabeholder said:

I think Lilywhite Lilith needs some attention. It has unique atmosphere and aesthetic consistency. 

I can only assume that wad's creator is a fan of this band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etakpPu_QJo

I am also nominating:

https://sites.google.com/site/nitroactivestudios/projects/if-bethesda-bought-out-modern-doom-source-ports

Edited by Master O

Jimmy's Deathless. While Lunar Catastrophe got my nomination because it felt like an alternate Doom, Deathless has to get a Cacoward not only because it was made in a month, but because it's a damn polished and well made set of maps made in a month. Honestly, I thought the maps will probably feel very, very small, unpolished and kind of "rushed", but the opposite is actually true. Others spend 3 years on a megawad that is not half as good and Jimmy just cranks this kind of quality out in a month. Truly a madman.

Posted (edited)

Seconding Alien Bastards, such a cute and perfect little wad.

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Seconding Alien Bastards, such a cute and perfect little wad.

Dude, I agree 100%

#90's Nostalgia at it's best

On 7/10/2019 at 1:47 PM, Master O said:

When it comes to custom wads, Strife is really underutilized. Khorus is the only one I can name who has done much with Strife at all.

The only other person I can think of is 'Kaiser' Villarreal, but he's been responsible for a lot more Strife-wise than just making some maps.

I checked my post history and I'm 99% sure I haven't reccommendateded something for CACO 2019 yet, so I'm going to be a buttlord and suggest ASHES: 2063's expansion/prologue campaign Dead Man Walking, created by ReformedJoe, despite the thread for it actually having been started on Dec 1st 2018.

Original Thread:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=62707

It's gonna be a long while before the full ASHES: 2063 experience comes out and I can nominate that, so Dead Man Walking is what I'm going with instead, because it has fucking amazing atmosphere, intricate but realistic level design, music by PrimEval, some very cool GZD tricks, and it's short enough to not overstay its welcome.

11 hours ago, AschTheConjurer said:

despite the thread for it actually having been started on Dec 1st 2018

Eviternity was released December 10, 2018, and that is still getting a lot of attention on this thread. While the only official cut-off is the day before the Cacowards are actually announced, it seems that (with the caveat that I have absolutely nothing to do with the Cacowards) a release during any time from December, 2018 to November, 2019 is fair game for consideration in this year Cacowards. So, i don't think there's anything wrong with your recommendation, timing wise.

27 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Eviternity was released December 10, 2018, and that is still getting a lot of attention on this thread. While the only official cut-off is the day before the Cacowards are actually announced, it seems that (with the caveat that I have absolutely nothing to do with the Cacowards) a release during any time from December, 2018 to November, 2019 is fair game for consideration in this year Cacowards. So, i don't think there's anything wrong with your recommendation, timing wise.

There's no pre-determined official cutoff date, but there's always some sort of grace period, because something released a week before the Cacowards couldn't be given fair consideration. The cutoff is at the discretion of the Cacowards team each year, but in my experience so far, it's been roughly the middle of November.

EDIT: This post now includes ALL my nominations year to date, removing wads covered in the non-cacoward Review Corner. Had a release or major update since Dec 1, 2018:

+++SIGIL

+++Eviternity by @Dragonfly and @ukiro et al (Various)

+++Lunar Catastrophe by @Count651 and @Miss Bubbles

+++Hurt by @elend

+++Hellforged by @Amuscaria

+++Paradise by @Tango

+++Verdant Citadel by @exl

+++Slaughter Spectrum by @Bridgeburner56

+++Faithless by @Jimmy

+++Wayfarer by @Not Jabba

+++Mapwich by Various

+++Honorable mention - Mini DooM by @Phobus

+++Honorable mention - Ozonia (based on progress to date) by @Deadwing

+++Honorable mention - UnBeliever by @Ryath

+++Honorable mention - SPECTRUM by @Capellan

+++Honorable mention - SINERGY by @Crunchynut44

+++Honorable mention - UDTWID by Various

+++Honorable mention - 1K Lines by @Liberation et al (Various)

+++Honorable mention - Shotgun Symphony by @Steve D

+++Honorable mention - Adonis by @riderr3

+++Honorable mention - Mass Extinction (based on progress to date) by @nicolas monti

+++ @Linguica for Espi

+++ @ukiro for Creator

+++Wayfarer's Tome by @Not Jabba for gameplay mod

+++UDTWID by Various for Mordeth

+++Moonlight by @dobu gabu maru for Machaward

A few 'on the fence' notes: HocusDooM is getting close to final or RC perhaps, Deathless was released Nov 2018. But already at 1 for Romero/10 caco/10 HM limit...if anything, and still eligible, I'd drop UDTWID from HM & put Deathless in its place. Or Ozonia or Mass Extinction because not all levels for the wad have been made yet. That would make room for Hocus as well. But very possible Ozonia/ME might be finished or at RC by Dec.

Edited by FrancisT18