Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

DOOM Reaper Miniatures now back on Bethesda Store

I know a lot of folks here have been looking to nab these, and it appears they are re-releasing the 2013 reaper pewter set (which contained a few slight piece variations as opposed to the 1996 individual pieces due to some of the original 96 cast molds being lost [beleive they had to fallback to prototype casts on a couple pieces]).

Can be nabbed here for $200

https://gear.bethesda.net/products/doom-reaper-miniatures-figures?goal=0_6af4fa342b-0b09e99be3-56353615&mc_cid=0b09e99be3&mc_eid=607e549419

Wouldn't wait on it.. these sell out pretty quick as they did prior.

I really fucking want these, but 200 dollars, man... I've already been spending a lot on Christmas presents, idk if I could justify this one :-(

40 minutes ago, moonboot said:

I really fucking want these, but 200 dollars, man... I've already been spending a lot on Christmas presents, idk if I could justify this one :-(

Considering when these were originally released in 1996 as individual packaged pieces, priced at (I believe) $8.99 a piece, it does seem about double the price (if you want to factor in inflation into pricing, it'd still be a bit higher), though in this you get them all bundled, padded carry case, and of course this is a more limited run (which is going to be more costly).

Now, I do know when they re-released these in 2013, there were some complaints of tarnished or off-colorization of the pewter itself, and they apparently weren't packed very well in the carry case, causing some of the more fragile extremeties to warp/bend/brake in shipping, and that a couple of the pieces did not identically match the 1996 pieces (later explained as the original final cast molds were lost over the years, so they had to resort to earlier unreleased "less detailed" prototype molds that still existed).

Despite the price and the minor concerns, it'll be the only way to get them as reasonably priced as possible. 2013 full set would have run you $500 or $600 prior to this 2018 release after that set sold out, and full 1996 set can run over $1000 depending on condition and if in blister packing.

Some very rare prototype or demo pieces that Reaper had in house and were never for sale also can fetch a pretty penny on their lonesome.

Man... maaan.... I want these. That $200 USD translates into something more in AUD.

Perhaps if I hit my sales target this month I'll buy it as a personal Christmas gift.

Great to see these coming back in stock again.

Given that I expect these will be the same as the 2013 sets, I'll throw out a plug for the foam sheet design that I recently perfected:

If anyone else is planning on buying one of these sets, if you're not satisfied with the presentation when it arrives and are looking for something better, drop me a PM and we can maybe work something out.

8 hours ago, Soundblock said:

Anyone know if the Romero-on-a-spike pewter that comes with Sigil v$166 is on scale with these?

Don't know but I would expect so. I do know that Romero is planning on selling the Icon of Sin figures individually (without needing to buy the full deluxe set), so you'll be able to "complete your collection" so to speak.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, moonboot said:

Interesting point. Not everyone can afford a full set of these. I'm sure there are several others in the same boat as you - maybe you can club together and divide up the set between you? Maybe you can't afford to spend $200 on 15 figures but you can each spend ~$50 for 3-4 each?

Per this article:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/365514/bethesda-is-reproducing-the-1997-doom-miniatures

It states these will be exact replicas of the first 96/97 run. Now, as I mentioned in prior that the 2013 rerelease had some discrepancies and minor variations from the original molds due to some being misplaced or lost, but the article seems to imply otherwise (maybe they have located the few missing molds in the past 6 years since the 2013 release and do not have to resort to using prototype molds this time?). Also seems to imply they'll be following the same pewter casting and hand polishing as the original release (which some stated was lesser quality and finish in the 2013 pieces).

Perhaps they had some feedback on the gripes over the 2013 casts and have taken action to correct it for this release. Or possibly PC Mag is just making assumptions. Either way, still nice to see these resurrected and not forgotten every so many years. They're great to have as their native gunmetal or professionally painted... Always thought they were incredibly detailed 

Would be nice, though I suspect you're reading more into it than what's there. I'd be very surprised if these are any different from the 2013 release.

Without an official statement from Bethesda or the manufacturer that the lost mold have been refound or somehow recreated, I would advise against hoping too much the prototype molds weren't used this time. The words you have are those of a journalist who doesn't mention (and therefore, may be unaware of) the issues with the 2013 rerelease.

Man, I really hope Bethesda intends to keep printing these. I missed my opportunity to grab em since they were released around holiday season and I was dead broke at the time, thanks a lot Christmas. As a frequent miniature painter I've always dreamed of painting these all up.

At the base of each of the models it has a copyright date of 2013, so any speculation on which molds they used is pretty much settled.  Whatever casting issues they may have had in the past seem to have been solved; the figurines are pretty high quality.

My box came in recently, and while quickly eyeing the minis I noticed that some were glued together in contrast with some of the original releases I had. I also started to notice some other subtle differences between the other figures. Here are some shoddy phone pictures to compare them.

Spoiler

IMG_1569.jpg.2e6ec6c16c01d8aac834aa5bfbc888a2.jpg

The lost soul was the first obvious difference, the 199X release is two separate pieces while the 2019 release has the base welded or soldered into the skull.

Spoiler

IMG_1570.jpg.0ee4f08970967e824797c78e03e52965.jpg

The cacodemon was the other big one. Unlike the lost soul, the pieces seem to be simply glued together as the seams are still visible.

Spoiler

IMG_1562.jpg.618f9d19e0a05b93aa2c58639ba2067d.jpg

Some harder to see differences were various versions having unique base heights. The original (left) and the latest (right) have thinner and wider bases while the Doom 3 release has a smaller, thicker base. I'm unsure if this is intentional or if every miniature has a random base height.

Spoiler

IMG_1566.jpg.f76658cb571c3f4e43e40dec637931f0.jpg

The old lost soul seems to be a little bit wider in the face along with sitting on the base in a lopsided manner.

Spoiler

IMG_1571.jpg.9fa740fb2b686fd33262e92bbdeef56e.jpg

The marines have slightly different bases while being positioned at different pitches and yaws.

Spoiler

IMG_1572.jpg.bdde2c8ec0e2709f838c94f108d50477.jpg

The same goes for the imp, albeit much more noticeable.

That's all the minis I could compare, since I don't have complete sets of the older versions. I'm not sure if any of this is really worth noting, as whatever is listed could probably just be something to do with the ones I have. One more thing though, the cyberdemon has its head separate from the body. Is this exclusive to the new release or was it always like this? I don't have something to compare it to, and find it odd that they would glue the cacodemon and pain elemental but not the cyberdemon.

Oh damn! I wish I had that! It looks so cool! Although, with my allowance, I'd be wasting over 60% of my money. Damn, though! Maybe Ebay has some sales for pre-owned items. 

5 minutes ago, RottingZombie said:

It's $150 in cart right now.

The top of the page says special sale and the bottom says  15% off orders over $50 (USD). does the special sale take off $20? or is the 15% off the special sale?

also, somebody is going to have to update this.

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

The top of the page says special sale and the bottom says  15% off orders over $50 (USD). does the special sale take off $20? or is the 15% off the special sale?

also, somebody is going to have to update this.

Yes, the sale applies. I just bought one for like $180 with tax and shipping.

54 minutes ago, TheDemonatorLol said:

Yes, the sale applies. I just bought one for like $180 with tax and shipping.

Wow! the only way I would get that would be by winning a competition! I can't afford that type of thing! I'll stop, it is just crazy what people would be willing to spend!

16 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I'm not sure; I just added to cart to see how much it would be :)

I have a mancubus figure like the one in the photo. Must have gotten it with Doom 3 preorder or something. The bottom says 1993,1997 id software, Inc.