Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

Does anyone else think that Doom 3's combat is clunky and unsatisfying?

I didn't finish the game yet, but I just wanna know if you guys agree that Doom 3's combat feels weird. Most of the time when you're fighting (especially if you have the shotgun), the screen would fuck around all over the place and it becomes kind of annoying. It doesn't help either that the enemy AI would lock you into a corner and start continuously attacking you and you couldn't get a good aim on it. Combine that with the fact that most of the battle arenas seem quite small.

I'm not saying that Doom 3 is bad, it's actually a good game for what it is, but for the most part I just don't think the gameplay aged that well.

Yes you can barely feel the punch of the chaingun, and the shotgun takes a while to reload and although it does quite a bit of damage on close or mid-range you don't really get that satisfaction of hitting an enemy like in other games, Plasma Rifle, MG and Rocket Launcher are pretty good though.

Yup, the gunplay doesn't shine much in D3. The pump shotgun feels weak, and so does the chaingun. I do remember enjoying the Plasma though, but that's about it.

42 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Yup, the gunplay doesn't shine much in D3. The pump shotgun feels weak, and so does the chaingun. I do remember enjoying the Plasma though, but that's about it.

I like the Plasma Rifle's "pew pew pew" sounds.

I like the chaingun and plasma rifle, but it's unforgivable that they messed up Doom's trademark weapon, the vernerable shotgun. The assault rifle also feels kind of wimpy but since it's a new weapon in the series I don't care too much. 

17 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

I like the Plasma Rifle's "pew pew pew" sounds.

Yeah, the sounds of the PR are actually pretty epic, but unfortunately it's the only weapon that felt satisfying to use to me.

Out of all weapons, it's worst when it comes to the chaingun and shotgun imo, especially when you compare them to classic Doom and PSX Doom, or even other games like HL2 in the case of the shotgun where it felt like it actually carried some punch and had epic sounds. The cock sound after reloading the weapon was tasty :3 . The chaingun looked like it was made of plastic, and feeling weak and extremely light in your hands didn't do it justice at all.

The fists feel underdeveloped there's no sense of weight to your punches, doesn't help that they no longer auto-lock on nearest enemy like in the Classic games, Berserk Power up makes them somewhat better by making you invincible and letting you 1-Punch kill every type of monster in the game, even Hellknights, but the other issues still remain.

I disagree, the combat of Doom 3 is totally hardcore, but you're much more fragile than in Doom 2. Almost like you're just a human fighting to survive, you know. You gotta be thankful that you get help from the Soul Cube.

Doom 3, despite its genre being identical to Doom 2's, has different proportions. It relies more on single-monster ambushes taking you by surprise at close range. You're the most vulnerable to melee attacks, Pinky Demons are totally deadly up-close. Gameplay is less forgiving, you're better off if you play safe and try to kill monsters as soon as possible, using exactly the correct weapons. You just can't afford to toy with your enemies like in Doom 2. Using the wrong gun and hesitating? You're gonna suffer terribly.

2 hours ago, printz said:

I disagree, the combat of Doom 3 is totally hardcore, but you're much more fragile than in Doom 2. Almost like you're just a human fighting to survive, you know. You gotta be thankful that you get help from the Soul Cube.

Doom 3, despite its genre being identical to Doom 2's, has different proportions. It relies more on single-monster ambushes taking you by surprise at close range. You're the most vulnerable to melee attacks, Pinky Demons are totally deadly up-close. Gameplay is less forgiving, you're better off if you play safe and try to kill monsters as soon as possible, using exactly the correct weapons. You just can't afford to toy with your enemies like in Doom 2. Using the wrong gun and hesitating? You're gonna suffer terribly.

Fair enough. I'm playing on Marine difficulty so that might be why I find the game easy.

5 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Fair enough. I'm playing on Marine difficulty so that might be why I find the game easy. 

g_skill 2

If your version is original release of 2004, this should improve user experience.

5 minutes ago, Boilers! said:

g_skill 2

If your version is original release of 2004, this should improve user experience.

Thanks. I'll try to remember that.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

They barely react to getting shot.

It turns out they do react, they display animations of getting hit and their movement is also slowed down, except for the Cacodemons. just noticed this today.