Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

Less annoying E3M7

I personally don't like maps where most of the time you run across damaging floors and have to quickly resupply on radiation suits. It's my kryptonite.

My hot take!

PREFACE: I haven't played this map since it came out.

I think it's hot garbage. I could recreate it in a few days. 

HOWEVER if there was an RPG for Doom, this would work well for that. It's the start of something decent more akin to an Ultima-style RPG dungeon level.

So I'm almost 14 minutes into playing this level, and I have killed all but 1 monster, and switched almost everything... EXCEPT I can't find "III".

I've done 1, 2, and 4. Can't. Find. III. LOL.

E3M7 where is III.png

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Behind the yellow door, maybe? It looks unopened on your screeshot of the automap.

Haha you got it! And then it took me another 2 minutes to do that and find my way back to the exit. Never did find the 36th monster. Probably a Lost Soul that was hanging out somewhere?

E3M7 could have been slightly improved by some subtle decorations of dead bodies to make it easier to find out where the various teleports go.

One teleporter could be marked by some hanging legs on each side, another with a dead baron on the wall etc. So if you see a teleport you want to get through, try to find the other end with the matching decorations. It should be really subtle though, not a tutti frutti show like map30 of tnt.

I like E3M7. I like how you can't see the sky, you feel so deep into Hell, and how they make it a puzzle to get to where you need to go. Demons run amok everywhere, and the reuse of E2M7's music feels like you've come full circle to the big showdown coming up.

E3M7 is perhaps the most beautiful map in all of Ultimate Doom. It's so cool and atmospheric and stuff!

And it's one of the lamest levels to play, competing with the ultimate piece of shit, E3M2. The problem is pathetically simple: there's no opposition. 36 monsters in a ginormous back'n'forth maze? With pinkies thrown at the player in the central section? Pffft.

The central area begs for a map16-style invasion fight and small teleport/closet ambushes should've been abused across the entire level. Definitely "the map with the most wasted potential".

I'll give you this, the remake you did made the map SLIGHTLY tolerable. Don't get me wrong it's still a hot garbage sh*t stain on the beauty that is episode 3, but this remake you did DRASTICALLY helps as the small markers on the floor and the small bridges in the pools of blood really helped navigating through this map without having to deal with the forced damaging floor wank of the OG 3EM7.

12 minutes ago, dew said:

And it's one of the lamest levels to play, competing with the ultimate piece of shit, E3M2.

Did you mean E4M2 or do you really hate Slough of Dispair?

Just now, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Did you mean E4M2 or do you really hate Slough of Dispair?

I am indeed talking to the hand.