Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorTomCL

DOOM Eternal's Earth

So far we now that a big chunk of the game's gonna take place on Earth, pretty much the same way Doom 2 did before id rebooted the IP. That aspect made me think about the setting itself and how little we know about it.

Yes, it's futuristic, but at the same time it looks less scifi-ish than the UAC levels from DOOM 2016, so do you guys think that this version of our world is set in the same dimension as DOOM 2016 or maybe we're looking at a "melting-pot" of Earths inside Hell's own Battleworld? who knows.

On the other hand we have the city itself, notice how everything is written in english (well, globalization is already a thing), but something that caught my attention was that peculiar EU Bank sign, so I guess the city is part of some European nation or something like that.

Finally, give attention to the medieval looking door from the bottom right part of the picture, it seems that not only Hell is corrupting our planet but also Argent D'Nur/Heaven/Whatever. I really like the idea of small rooms with portals to switch between settings or levels.

DOOT.jpg

chrome_CSqTwwK02O.png

11 hours ago, MajorTomCL said:

Yes, it's futuristic, but at the same time it looks less scifi-ish than the UAC levels from DOOM 2016

Keep in mind that the UAC is first and foremost, a research facility. Naturally, they’d have more advanced tech compared to the average city on Earth.

11 hours ago, MajorTomCL said:

On the other hand we have the city itself, notice how everything is written in english (well, globalization is already a thing), but something that caught my attention was that peculiar EU Bank sign, so I guess the city is part of some European nation or something like that.

IIRC Hugo said in an interview that there would be no real-world locations to visit, so whether or not that  actually stands for “European Union” is debatable until we know more.

1 hour ago, Pepsiman said:

Keep in mind that the UAC is first and foremost, a research facility. Naturally, they’d have more advanced tech compared to the average city on Earth.

Yeah, you've got a point.

1 hour ago, Pepsiman said:

IIRC Hugo said in an interview that there would be no real-world locations to visit, so whether or not that  actually stands for “European Union” is debatable until we know more.

A fictional european state maybe? Or a coalition of governments, that trope is pretty common when it comes to sci-fi media.

I really like how DOOM Eternal's version of Earth is done. It looks very contemporary what with how the buildings and such are designed (that "bailey and sons" one is a great example) and that people still use things like traditional four-wheeled vehicles, metro transit, shopping malls and parking garages, yet it also has a slight sci-fi flair to it so it doesn't feel out of place in this time period. It's pretty much how I would expect a modern rendition of DOOM II's Earth to look like.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:38 PM, MajorTomCL said:

Finally, give attention to the medieval looking door from the bottom right part of the picture, it seems that not only Hell is corrupting our planet but also Argent D'Nur/Heaven/Whatever. I really like the idea of small rooms with portals to switch between settings or levels.

Given the rather obscure spot that door is placed at, I'm wondering if it's perhaps an entrance to a secret/optional level or if the game has some metroidvania elements.

BTW, apparently that "Heaven" place shown is called "Sentinel Prime", so at least it probably has a strong connection to Argent D'Nur and the Night Sentinels.

Suddenly, DOOM 2's level 'Nirvana' makes even MORE sense than beyond being named a band, since we get to see Eternal's take on Heaven for REAL. :D

Which technically we saw 'Heaven' levels in 2016's multiplayer DLC, but I digress.

@Gerardo194 I always think about map14 as like persian/arabic style.

BTW Darksiders 3 looks a bit like DOOM ETERNAL urban style, of course DE looks better for me.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:47 AM, Gerardo194 said:

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but does The Inmost Dens level look a bit European? By the way, cool pics!

You mean something like this?

saint-paul-en-foret-gasse-IMG_6031-prove

I hope they go for a few well known landmarks around the world and demonise them , like maybe having Big Ben in London having a giant eye instead of a clock face or The Statue Of Liberty holding up a giant human skull instead of a torch. Would be cool to see.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:39 PM, Tetzlaff said:

You mean something like this?

saint-paul-en-foret-gasse-IMG_6031-prove

Nice reference for textures

On 1/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, Eurisko said:

I hope they go for a few well known landmarks around the world and demonise them , like maybe having Big Ben in London having a giant eye instead of a clock face or The Statue Of Liberty holding up a giant human skull instead of a torch. Would be cool to see.

Didn't Hugo say in an interview they're not going to include real places?

6 minutes ago, igg said:

Didn't Hugo say in an interview they're not going to include real places?

Did he? I haven’t seen that but if that’s true I’d consider it a missed opportunity. Either way it’s not a big deal the game will no doubt still be awesome.

2 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Did he? I haven’t seen that but if that’s true I’d consider it a missed opportunity. Either way it’s not a big deal the game will no doubt still be awesome.

Yes he did: 

It's in the first two posts.

Edit: Btw, I think it's a very good decision they decided for a fictional, maybe even abstract, earth. A realistic earth would always look like the cancelled Doom 4 approach, which had more in common with Rage than with Doom.

Edited by igg : Additional note

4 hours ago, igg said:

Edit: Btw, I think it's a very good decision they decided for a fictional, maybe even abstract, earth. A realistic earth would always look like the cancelled Doom 4 approach, which had more in common with Rage than with Doom.

That’s actually a very good point , I hadn’t considered the similarities that would have to DOOM 4 and Rage. 

Thanks for that link by the way. 

10 hours ago, igg said:

Edit: Btw, I think it's a very good decision they decided for a fictional, maybe even abstract, earth.

Hadn’t considered it before, but basing locations in-game on real-world locations would really limit them creatively, both story and design-wise. Going for a fictional Earth gives them a lot of freedom.

@igg

I get that argument but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a few landmarks. I do agree that most of it should be a generic metropolis but there is a lot of potential for interesting architecture. An Aztec temple, a map based on Strasbourg (Olivia studied there), Tokyo, somehere in Texas. Despite that, I totally get it why they are doing this. They want gameplay first and realistic places often get in the way of that. Hell, that's what Doom 2 did and this is a remake of that. It doesn't have to be totally realistic, just a few landmarks here and there and unique buildings between the levels.

I mean, this is Grapevine, Texas and it looks a lot like Doom 2 to me, especially because of the brick building, which are the staple of Doom 2's Earth. I'm sure that with a bit of work you could get some interesting gameplay scenarios.

image.png.0f8893d4f2c2ba4a948157fddb08c27d.png

Just boot up Doom 2016 and fire up Multiplayer.

Start a private match, turn off all other players except yourself.

Select Boneyard as your Map (You will need the DLC)

Boom you have the Hell on Earth Prototype.

They used ridiculous colors to hide the fact that this map was used as an early tech demo of what eventually was made in ID tech7 and was the basis for the Eternal Demo.

Do not believe me go check it out.

robert-hodri-boneyard-03.jpg?1483809670

It looks like Hell's influence has spread into earth so much that they can make the maps as abract as they like. They can have large portions in that organic wall texture that mostly shapes the level but have a couple brick walls, a few alley ways, some roads, props and sprinkle some signs. Give it a good mix until it gets thick, leave it in the Ovan for 45 minutes and voila, unrestricted map design with a corrupted city theme.

Throw in some large ruined strata buildings for that verticle goodness.

That's how it looks to me at this stage.