Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

What's your taste for the graphics/art style?

Exactly as the title says.

What is your taste for the graphics and setting in video games? I tend to go for more techbase-style & Sci-fi settings in video games. Gothic-style setting is not up to my taste. And I also tend to go more for colorful graphics.

Edited by Cacodemon345

I'm a fan of many different visual styles, whether vibrant or muted, cheerful or macabre. As long as the rest of the audiovisual department comes together to create a matching atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Dark, gritty, and sinister. The more of that the better for me. Well not pitch black dark...

^^^ .

Also gothic, occult imagery a la Doom 64. But I also like plenty of sci-fi and medieval themed stuff.

38 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I also like plenty of sci-fi and medieval themed stuff.

Shit I was just about to say that lol

(by the way OP, Graphics and Art Style are two different things)

Edited by tempdecal.wad : typo

Graphics...I have to lean towards consoles to see nice looking modern graphics, but the look and feel of certain older games will become iconic and eternal.
As for art style, I have a preference for dark sci-fi.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Crate mazes and things moving on conveyor belts.

second-best cut freedoom map EVER

Just now, Cacodemon345 said:

What is your taste for the graphics and setting in video games? I tend to go for more techbase-style settings in video games. Gothic-style setting is not up to my taste. And I also tend to go more for colorful graphics.

This, exactly this.

Basically the biggest reason i dislike Quake and the reason i like Techbases more than hell.
Doom made very good use of it's pallete to the point i thought there was no pallete limitation and it looked very colorful and nice.
Quake on the other hand... BROWN, RED AND YELLOW

I like the usage of color. Quake's Episode 1 was horrible to look at. Doom 2016's Hell was rarely colorful and I felt it suffered from modern gaming's lack of saturation in your given environment so to me it felt like it could have been improved just on that alone.

Motifs? I dunno, I like a lot, but it totally depends on the mood of the title. Is it kinda spooky? Foggy stuff~ Otherwise gimme a creative mix, but make it colorful for gods sake. Or if not that, have it be visually interesting. Like a ruined city doesn't have to be full of color, but man don't cheap out on all the cool things you can do with that idea. Gotta have stuff that fits the mood.

If I had to pick a single motif though, I probably enjoy hellish, surrealism type environments the most.

2 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

This, exactly this.

Basically the biggest reason i dislike Quake and the reason i like Techbases more than hell.
Doom made very good use of it's pallete to the point i thought there was no pallete limitation and it looked very colorful and nice.
Quake on the other hand... BROWN, RED AND YELLOW

Don't forget azure 

I love dark, brooding, gothic looking games.  Quake is damn near perfect for me, as are most 40K games.  The way the colors can pop in this style is just.... <3  The dark sci-fi look is also one I really like, especially if it has that dirty 80s sci-fi look like in Alien Isolation, or mixes it with a gothic style.

As far as settings go, I hate motion blur, upscale filters, and depth of field.  I disable these immediately.  The rest I don't really care about either way.  Except for texture filtering, which I greatly prefer to have enabled.  The only time I don't mind pixelated graphics is when I'm playing 16-bit and earlier generation console/arcade games.  Otherwise, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR and 16x anisotropic filtering pls.

Gimme either:

1723874311_download(1).jpg.7729640c934f66c213f9ac51d62405e7.jpg
Neonshit,

download.jpg.5380e5dbffbf0a3b61b18b3c81256a29.jpg

Crayonshit,

wonder-boy-dragons-trap-xbox-one-20.jpg.34f8323397996a5d83f7da515c2874f3.jpg

Or well-drawn shit.

That's how I love me some graphics.

I simplify, of course. A strong, singular aesthetic is what generally drives me. The original wireframe Asteroids for example, is a game I very often cite as having some of the best graphics of any game due to its utilitarian perfection: it literally cannot be improved upon graphically without affecting the overall function of the visuals. Gonna say the same of something like the original Mirror's Edge also. I wouldn't personally deign to simplify as "ferpaderp I like techbases" because that ignores the larger picture -- something like Quake 4, for example doesn't look as good as the tech bases of, say, Metroid Prime in my eyes. Of course, YMMV and you might think the technical frippery of Q4's uglyfuck bases beats out the clarity and colour use of Prime for some reason, but that's by the by.

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

Gimme either: vector game

Oh god, I love the look of vector graphics, whether it's old ones like Tempest or Asteroids, or new games like TxK.  Them glowy polygons are just so damn sexy.

Yeah a game with so many pixels shoved into it they're smaller than a real-life atom is fancy and all but personally, as long as the graphics aren't painful to look at, I'm usually not to bothered (provided I can see what I am looking at). Plus I usually set my graphics settings on low-medium anyways so I don't lag out too hard (in the case of Multiplayer I do whatever I can to get frames).

I prefer the "brown is real" style.

Spoiler

img1.png

...No, not like that.  More brown.

Spoiler

img2.jpg

Much better.

16 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Oh god, I love the look of vector graphics, whether it's old ones like Tempest or Asteroids, or new games like TxK.  Them glowy polygons are just so damn sexy.

Tempest!

Has anyone played Salt & Sanctuary? LOVE that art style, and Ska Studios other games have that particular style as well

Well made graphics, without bugs or any problems and fits the game. Fits my taste: TES Arena, Doom, Quake I on SW renderer, Quake II on OGL with "gl_round_down 0" in autoexec, Diablo I-II, Might & Magic VI-VIII to name a few. I never use src ports that change graphics or gameplay.

Whatever is most suitable to evoke the feelings and impart the message the devs intend. There is no right way to do the graphics for a game except the right way for your particular game.

I tend to like a little bit animated or cartoony looking, like Doom and Duke have, or stylized current games like SoulCalibur 6, Dragon Quest XI, etc. Doesn't have to be bright, can also be detailed and gritty like an 80s sci-fi anime, or a graphic novel/comic, I just like stylized look more than full on realism.

On what kind of setting, they all work.