Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Excited For Eternal?

Whether or not he'll replace the actual Baron, i still hope the Fire Baron has something new to him.

Like, maybe he shoots lava that can continuously decrease the player's health for a while after it hits him.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:16 AM, OrbitalSpaceGarbage said:

Yes, but my PC is way too potato to be able to deal with it. So I'm gonna have to wait.

As i play through Doom 2016 for my first time, my excitement slowly grows for Doom Eternal but i'm kind-of in the same boat as you are so i feel your pain albeit my PC isn't necessarily a potato. It's just that i'll either encounter some issues running Eternal or i won't be able to run it at all.

I don't see myself upgrading my PC (aka building a new one) until next year at the very least, although if i start saving up money now i just might be able to make that mark as i'll probably have to rebuy everything as my case is shit as well (the front USB ports are broken). The only thing i can probably reuse is my PSU (unless 600 watts isn't sufficient for w/e i buy), my 1TB HDD and possibly my monitor.

Excited for Eternal? Given the trailer made me feel all tingly, yes, yes I am.

Just interested. I rarely get excited over gaming anymore. I only have a Nintendo Switch, so I will be waiting for that version.

I'd have to say... not really. On release I thought Doom 2016 was the best thing ever, but I tried to replay it recently and it just didn't click, I replayed D1 and D2 instead. Eternal looks like it has too much of everything. It's overdesigned and overdone. I like simple things. I'd love a game like Ziggurat but with a full campaign. I think this is what Doom should look like.

I already said I'm super excited but I want to say it again. I'm super excited!

To be fair I'm more in a patiently optimistic mood and only watch all the footage once a month.

Something i am worried about is one of the pre order bonuses being a campaign or something.

I hope it's not anything we've seen in trailers and marketing so far and doesn't feel like it was cut from the main game.

And also, if it turns out to be available after release. (i remember when 2016's multiplayer dlc became free after 2 years or something)

Like at 7:23 in this video, someone brings up some concept art about a "cultist" base and i hope what we've seen of it is still in the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gb2lnXiRaE

Like if these revealed locations turn out to be something from a preorder bonus and not the main game, that would suck.

And it's weirder, when they're already planning on DLC expansions for single player.

It is, however, refered as a "master level", making me wonder what that means besides a reference to the master levels for the original Doom 2.

I just feel like this deserves a bit more attention than just a weirder looking HUD and 1-ups.

On 8/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, whatup876 said:

It is, however, refered as a "master level", making me wonder what that means besides a reference to the master levels for the original Doom 2.

The Steam store page specifically says,

"Cultist Base Master Level - A remixed version of the campaign level 'Cultist Base,' with new challenges and surprises"

That seems pretty clear to me that the level is still part of the campaign, with or without pre-ordering the game - but that if you pre-order, you'll have an altered version of that level available to play (whether through a hub in-game, or maybe through the menu ala the classic doom maps in 2016).

Definitely interested but I dislike the Doom universe approach. The inner and outer areas of Sentinel Prime / Sentinel Vista don't look like Doom at all. It's like a mix of Cathedrals and alpine landscapes infested with demons.

The Hell on Earth section and Mars core demo look nice and Doom-ish. I really hope I'm wrong and the Sentinel and Heaven sections fit into Doom. The evil angel looks impressive and story wise interesting too.

Edited by igg

I said this multiple times: A Heaven in Doom can work if it follows parallels to Hell in the other Doom games.

* You think Hell in Doom is both actual Hell and its own thing? So should heaven.

* You think it's cool that there's an amount of textures, props, decorations etc to make Hell visually interesting enough for mapping potential? So should Heaven.

It's also why i thought Kahn Maykr looked cool because a cyborg angel with an exposed brain goes on pair with a big brain on metal spider legs, except it's from Heaven.

We've also seen both ancient looking castles/temples/whatever and a tech Heaven, mirroring stuff like ancient dead castles in Hell and the tech stuff in Hell too.

They don't always have to be just 1:1 with Hell, so give them unique props and stuff along with the "parallel" stuff like "what is their version of FIREBLU".

I hope this happens, even if Hell in 2016 was 90% floating rocks without the abstract nature of old school Inferno.

Like, imagine what Heaven in old school Doom would look like if it was old id behind it.

I'm in two minds about this game: I completed Doom 2016 on easiest difficulty and got bored when I started playing through it again, but I don't like the complex and difficult-looking gameplay I've seen from E3 footage, even though I like graphics engines and id Tech 6.

I bought a new PC earlier this year, but it doesn't have a graphics card (integrated graphics, which I used for 2016) and I'm guessing I'll need to get a 4Gb one for Eternal. So I won't bother, wait around for a while until the price drops, and see if I can play it at an Internet cafe instead, just to see if I like it.

Might be a bit nitpicky, but I'd like to see the pinkies without those obnoxious tails.  

I also wish they'd incorporate more horror themes like in Doom 3.  Say what you will, but I loved the horror aspect of that game.

I would also like to see a better map editor come out.  Snapmap is alright, it has a purpose that it serves just fine...but I think it lacks user control.  I used it a couple times, and I hated the prefab rooms.

Edited by Rare Hatchiama

15 minutes ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

.....I used it a couple times, and I hated the prefab rooms.

SnapMap can actually create custom rooms within an empty module called Grid Room (example), though monsters seem to have troubles navigating them, you can't import custom assets, and the lighting doesn't always look good.

18 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

SnapMap can actually create custom rooms within an empty module called Grid Room (example), though monsters seem to have troubles navigating them, you can't import custom assets, and the lighting doesn't always look good.

Oh, I didn't know that.  That's pretty cool.  Thanks.

Still though, I strongly prefer the linedef building like in DB.  I'd love to see something like that become a thing.

5 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

Might be a bit nitpicky, but I'd like to see the pinkies without those obnoxious tails.  

I feel like the new Pinky may have been inspired by the idea that he's like if Hell had their versions of pigs or bulls but if you look closer to his original design, he's kinda like those mythical/fantasy creatures that are humanoid figures with no heads but with faces on their torsos, along with a bent/broken back.

In the Doom 1 manual, they're even mentioned to be like shaved gorillas.

So i guess the new designs just made them more "animalistic" which isn't really a bad thing.

This sort of makes it as if the new Hellknights fill their role: they're fast melee enemies that don't charge and they kinda look like demonic gorillas.

So removing the tail or shell isn't enough to make a throwback design for a Pinky.

You grab an HK, give them back problems, paint them pink, remove head and place face on their bellies, make them wider and shorter and i dunno, give em yellow eyes?

I guess in some way, you could see Pinkies as an almost cousin species to Barons without projectiles or green blood.

I also wish they'd incorporate more horror themes like in Doom 3.  Say what you will, but I loved the horror aspect of that game.

That too.

One of the reasons Hell in Doom works is because of the weirdness and how some artistic choices work because they're just cool.

That's why the new lore can be a bit worrying since that could make Doom go in a similar path to sci fi franchises whose settings become less interesting because they wanted to explain more and more about their worlds.

Edit: i think a problem with the new games can be looking at something and wondering whether or not it was thought out by the developers or someone at ZeniMax, due to some weird business decision.

Because with Doom 1/2/etc, even with the flaws of those games or things that don't make it in the final product, you look at the smaller teams behind it with barely/no publisher interference, you get the idea that they still choose to make the games the way they are because they wanted, thought it was in favor for their target audiences and fans and some more reasons along the way.

Edited by whatup876 : adding more

Games this year and the following year didn't peaked my interest in the slightest, but Doom Eternal looked unique out of the bunch in terms of look and how it plays (imo). Pretty excited for Doom Eternal and the master levels that comes with the pre-order as well. 

I wonder if at some point, the pre order/deluxe items become available in a different format like regular DLC or something.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, OneDoomedSpaceMarine said:

Games this year and the following year didn't peaked my interest in the slightest, but Doom Eternal looked unique out of the bunch in terms of look and how it plays (imo). Pretty excited for Doom Eternal and the master levels that comes with the pre-order as well. 

I think thats because if nothing else, Doom Eternal looks like a proper game. 

I got a new processor that I still need to get installed, and Doom Eternal is really the only big reason for me to do so. I think based on what I've seen I'm best not touching Doom 2016 anymore, and instead just look forward to what hopefully will be a great experience with many improvements. I like the idea of the multiplayer battle mode, I never play things online but actually focusing on making a cool experience for 2-3 players seems like it would be way more engaging than the typical death match. 

On 11/9/2019 at 12:34 PM, hybridial said:

I think thats because if nothing else, Doom Eternal looks like a proper game. 

I got a new processor that I still need to get installed, and Doom Eternal is really the only big reason for me to do so. I think based on what I've seen I'm best not touching Doom 2016 anymore, and instead just look forward to what hopefully will be a great experience with many improvements. I like the idea of the multiplayer battle mode, I never play things online but actually focusing on making a cool experience for 2-3 players seems like it would be way more engaging than the typical death match. 

As of right now I've been saving money to upgrade my PC solely For Doom Eternal. And same here too, I don't think I will see myself come back to Doom 2016 for a long while.