Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jazzmaster9

Abysm: Dawn of Innocence V1.2 - Action Adventure TC for GZDoom

if you like dark souls and strife, you'll like this.

My one criticism i guess is very very minor, but i wouldn't mind a little more detail.

I noticed Orhus the Steel  is really "weak" for  the environment it's in. I didn't even attack it and it died pretty easily to a bunch of Mancubi. To add insult to injury it didn't even manage to kill a single one of them.

Edited by Pure Hellspawn

Been playing this a bit and I have to say: I love it.  

There are a few spelling errors here and there that I will point out soon.  Also, I think more of the soul collecting monsters might be nice since it doesn't seem like there are that many.  I don't think I'm very far into yet as looking at the map there are a lot of exit points into dungeons that I haven't yet been to.  That said, I don't think you need to add dungeons as far I can tell right now.   I'll post more feedback as I continue.  Thanks for this!

21 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

I noticed Orhus the Steel  is really "weak" for  the environment it's in. I didn't even attack it and it died pretty easily to a bunch of Mancubi. To add insult to injury it didn't even manage to kill a single one of them.

I believe this had to do with both his unfortunate positioning and Weakness to Fire damage.

I'll see where I could position him so he can be more of a threat.

7 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Been playing this a bit and I have to say: I love it.  

There are a few spelling errors here and there that I will point out soon.  Also, I think more of the soul collecting monsters might be nice since it doesn't seem like there are that many.  I don't think I'm very far into yet as looking at the map there are a lot of exit points into dungeons that I haven't yet been to.  That said, I don't think you need to add dungeons as far I can tell right now.   I'll post more feedback as I continue.  Thanks for this!

Im Glad you love it :)

I could always add more Bounty Monsters to the overworld, though there are also more Bounty Monsters in some dungeons.

Im happy everyone is loving it so far. 

Beat it. Excellent TC. My thoughts:

#1: Optional Dungeons need to have bosses and better rewards. A few of which could be harder than the final boss. Rewards should be unique - such as the backpack-ish item. In my opinion this is a huge point and could make the optional dungeons much more rewarding.

Some ideas might be a merchant discount token, a backpack to hold more potions and scrolls, an item that makes mana drops never disappear, a secret weapon, and permanent max health and damage reduction upgrades and damage dealing upgrades.

Click below to see why Final Boss too easy.

Circlestrafe. Overseer almost identical to Cyberdemon.

#1a: Perhaps the souls from the bosses I suggested above could be traded for these unique items. 

#2: Pyromancy magic needs rebalancing. The Hellforge Arm rocket launcher is much better. 

it looks excellent !, I download it for tomorrow
I hope that the final boss is very interesting and difficult since you were inspired by dark souls xD

Edit: pure hellspawn said the final boss is easy :"v

3 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

#1: Optional Dungeons need to have bosses and better rewards. A few of which could be harder than the final boss. Rewards should be unique - such as the backpack-ish item. In my opinion this is a huge point and could make the optional dungeons much more rewarding.

Thank you for the feedback.

Im actually thinking of maybe running with the "keep dropped mana from dissapearing" item that you suggested and adding that to one of the optional dungeons.

currently trying to find a way to make that work.

3 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

#2: Pyromancy magic needs rebalancing. The Hellforge Arm rocket launcher is much better. 

Im could either boost the fire's damage or just make the fireball spawn more fire. I'll see what i can come up with.

again thank you for the suggestions. 

Hey, I've got a big block of text for you here.  Please read as it will only help you.

So I played more and I have some more suggestions:  First are the spelling corrections; It's "Truly" not "Trully", you misspelled "Monastery" in the first dialogue with the word.  Helpful not "Helpfull" Useful not "Usefull" and so on, use spellcheck in MS Word if you're not sure.  Below I have another grammar lesson that needs to be here somewhere because I see these things used so incorrectly here it bugs the shit out of me.  Anyway, 

I see misuse of "your" and you're" so many places here I need to put this in:  "your" is when you are expressing possession like "Your house, or your car",  "you're" is for when you want to say "you are".  Again I didn't notice you messing those up.  Now let's move on to "to and too".  "To" is for expressing where something is going i.e. "I am going to the store, I sent a package to you".  "Too" is for expressing something is more, "This soup is too hot, this mattress is too hard."  Alright now we're on to "their, there, and they're".  Their is for expressing a third party's possession of something, i.e. "Their house, their dinner, etc." "There" is for expressing a location, "I'm going there, the dark cave full of monsters over there."  "They're" is similar to "you're", it's for expressing a third party's characteristics.  Again, you didn't seem to be having trouble with too much of that, in these zdoom wads I see so much incorrect grammar it gets very irritating sometimes.  In fact if someone could sticky this to somewhere and add anything else, that would be great.

Also, I think maybe having some of the unique monsters not have souls for bounty would be good too.  They also should be a bit harder to fight when you encounter them.  I've been finding the soul monsters really easy to fight.  Bosses should definitely be harder.  I haven't died once on a boss fight.  Optional dungeons should have optional quests that correspond to them.  You might consider having monsters spawn more often in places you have to return to.  I like that you are having monsters spawn back to places you need to return to, but it's not enough.  I also noticed that for later quests, the exclamation point telling you where to go doesn't show up anymore.  After I defeated the sorceress lady they stopped showing up.  If you intended that, that's fine, but tell the player you're not going to help them find dungeons anymore after a point.  I guess that's it for now.  I do hope you make more dungeons for this as this has potential to be one of the best doom mods available and this could be extended quite a bit if you wanted to.  So I do HIGHLY recommend you continue working on more episodes hubs for this and maybe have more locations.  Maybe the next could be in a Jungle scenario or a Desert or whatever.  Again, none of this is implying you didn't already do a great job.  I just like helping people see how to make anything better.  

Thanks for reading if you did.

-GRB

26 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Hey, I've got a big block of text for you here.  Please read as it will only help you.

So I played more and I have some more suggestions:  First are the spelling corrections; It's "Truly" not "Trully", you misspelled "Monastery" in the first dialogue with the word.  Helpful not "Helpfull" Useful not "Usefull" and so on, use spellcheck in MS Word if you're not sure.  Below I have another grammar lesson that needs to be here somewhere because I see these things used so incorrectly here it bugs the shit out of me.  Anyway, 

Thanks for that, nice catch. I did my best trying to catch those misspellings but some just seem to get away:P

Also, I think maybe having some of the unique monsters not have souls for bounty would be good too.  They also should be a bit harder to fight when you encounter them. I've been finding the soul monsters really easy to fight.  Bosses should definitely be harder.  I haven't died once on a boss fight.

No problem, I already have changes in mind for a couple of unique monsters (Vadra and Orhus).

Though for this one i think i'll keep it consistent and give them all bounties, maybe rebalance the rewards.

You might consider having monsters spawn more often in places you have to return to.  I like that you are having monsters spawn back to places you need to return to, but it's not enough

Alright, that won't be to difficult to change since all i have to do is tag more monsters to respawn.

I also noticed that for later quests, the exclamation point telling you where to go doesn't show up anymore.  After I defeated the sorceress lady they stopped showing up.  If you intended that, that's fine, but tell the player you're not going to help them find dungeons anymore after a point. 

I set up the Auto Map Exclamation points to only spawn on Quest Givers and Key persons. I gave the player the opportunity to explore the dungeons themselves.

I do hope you make more dungeons for this as this has potential to be one of the best doom mods available and this could be extended quite a bit if you wanted to.  So I do HIGHLY recommend you continue working on more episodes hubs for this and maybe have more locations.  Maybe the next could be in a Jungle scenario or a Desert or whatever.  Again, none of this is implying you didn't already do a great job.  I just like helping people see how to make anything better.  

Thanks for reading if you did.

Thank You for giving feedback and encouragement. Gonna try my best to get this as balanced as possible. 

8 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Yeah I understand about the quest givers and stuff.  But, I just got the quest to go kill the two Barons and no exclamation showed up.

ohh dear, in that case that is indeed a bug. gonna fix that as well.

dungeons are never marked with exclamation points. but if a person isn't marked then i probably missed a spawn command in ACS.

Edited by jazzmaster9

Oh yeah, one more thing you may want to check is to make sure that later main quest areas are blocked off before you are supposed to access them.  I haven't been going out of my way to check stuff like that, but being as open ended as the main overworld is, just may want to make sure that quest progression can't be broken like that.

Do you have plans for making RPG FPS? More closer to Diablo II. Enemies respawn every time you enter cave and can drop unique weapons and gold. You can enhance weapons using gold etc. I know it sounds insane for Doom engine, but maybe possible for gzDoom. Anyway, i'm not able to use gzDoom so whatever. Just thought RPG FPS with Doom graphics would be stunning thing. :)

If you really wanted to, you could also implement some sort of stats system like Dark Souls has. I think gold would need to be a bit more commonly dropped and prices increased for items, but low levels would start cheap and go up significantally.

47 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

If you really wanted to, you could also implement some sort of stats system like Dark Souls has. I think gold would need to be a bit more commonly dropped and prices increased for items, but low levels would start cheap and go up significantally.

hmm, i think A stat system is a little bit beyond the scope of this project. That isn't to say that future installments wont have Stats and XP *wink*

Beta Version 2 is now available.

Changes:

More Enemies have been tagged to respawn when returning to town.

- Added new Powerup Item, Soul Chamber; makes dropped mana stay indefinitely.

- Rebalanced the Rite of Pyromancy Weapon; each fireball will spawn 4 flames and the flames do more damage.

- Grammar and Spelling corrections.

- Fixed a possible sequence break for the Warner questline which made one of the quest inaccessible.

- Removed a rouge KEYCONF command.

sweet!  I'll keep playing beta1 though and i'll just ignore anything you already fixed.  I think having 2 more big hub episodes for this would be the way to go.  Maybe having an episode in a Jungle and then maybe the Arctic, finishing with a small hub in Hell.  Something to chew on.

Minor Update:

- Changed Orhus the Steel's health from 900 to 1200

- Repositioned Orhus the Steel.

- Changed Vadra the Covetous' attack Pattern

- Some Grammar and Spelling Corrections.

Minor Update Uploaded:

- New Graphic for the Boots of Speed

- Fixed some bad sprite offsets

- Resampled some Ambient sounds

Beta Version 3 is now available
- Fixed misaligned sector in Map 01 in the Sunlight Monastery that causes a HOM
- Fixed some badly aligned flats
- Some Aesthetic Changes in the Sunlight Monastery
- All minor Fixes done during Beta v2

Keep the Feedback coming :)

Gonna try this out right now, looks very fun

Pro Tip: change "dl=0" to 1 in the download link so it automatically starts downloading

Beta version 4 has been released!
Changes:
- Rebalanced Gold drops on certain enemies to make them less frequent (Imp, Fiend, Cacodemon, Hell Knight, Revenant, Incarnate)
- Fixed some Texture misalignment in Map01 and Map04
- lessened Enemy respawns on the Overworld (still more respawns than the initial version)
- Fixed some Geometry in Map 13 that made players get stuck and unable to progress
- Added an Earthquake effect on Map04 during the stair building secquence
- Added decorations in various maps to improve visual quality
- Sheep makes sheep noises more often.  :D 

Beta Version 5 has been uploaded
changes:
- Changed the AltFire damage calculation for the fist to make it less random. 

• damage is now 20* random(1.4) instead of the old 10*random(1,8)

- A counter is shown in the HUD when elemental infusion is used.

• counter is Redish orange when using Fire Infusion and Blue when using Lightning Infusion

- Rite of Pyromancy now has wider spread range and will now spawn 5 flames instead of 4
- Fixed a miss tagged sector in Map08 that caused players to receive instant death damage.
- Fixed monsters that were stuck in a small sector in the Overworld.
- Gold Drop rates from all monsters (except bosses) have been reduced.
- Chests that used to dropped 400 gold now only drops 300.
- Chests that used to dropped 200 gold now only drops 150.
- Some retexturing and geometry changes on Map02, Map05 and Map16 to make climbable ledges more visible.
- Added more ambient noises for the Hunters' Settlement in the Overworld.

minor update uploaded:
- Corrected some more Typos on the Dialogue
- Changed Cacodemon blood color to Blue
- Changed Dweller blood color to Black

Minor Update Uploaded:
- Fixed the Area transition text on Map 17 that wouldn't trigger.
- Changed the HudMessage scripts for All Area transition texts so that they are no longer dependent on GZDoom's Message HUD Scaling.
- Some texture alignment fixes.
- Changed geometry on Map 11 to make the transition from the overworld to the map look smoother.
- More Typo Corrections.

This update will now be the Final Beta version of the game
Changes:
- All Inventory Items are now undroppable
- Texture alignment fixes
- Changes in some dialogue for the Chieftain and Oscar.
- More Typo corrections

Keep the feedback and Suggestions coming.