Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Bubbles

Lunar Catastrophe - An Ultimate Doom Megawad (RELEASED!)

Howdy just noticed that a couple GFX are still PNG's as Prboom refused to run the wad. There might be some more issues since even after converting said GFX it still crashes chocolate doom whenever you open the Menu. Could be a problem with incorrect image resolutions but it's just a guess.

Could it be due to the edited mapinfo? Once again, we don't have any experience with boom so we're not sure exactly what it supports. But this wad has an edited mapinfo. Stuff like music swaps, map names, secret exit map number changes, etc.

31 minutes ago, Count651 said:

Could it be due to the edited mapinfo?

No, Chocolate Doom didn't like the M_DOOM gfx and i was able to run the file after removing it. You can simply ignore this issue unless you'd like to make the wad compatible with other more classical orientated ports.

16 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

As far as I can tell though that's all they've made prior.

In 2017, @Miss Bubbles released two excellent retro/id-inspired Quake maps, which do a fantastic job of emulating the style of the original levels. That is what got me interested in this release.

unless you'd like to make the wad compatible with other more classical orientated ports.

We'll look into it.

It would be great if you could do that!

One level in and I can tell you've studied Knee Deep in the Dead. I especially appreciate the high number of secrets but their rewards corresponding to their difficulty to find. 

I've been playing through this over the course of the afternoon and evening and the first episode in particular is just lovely, very true to the themes established by the original game without feeling derivative or uninspired.  The second episode doesn't seem to have quite as distinctive a personality but maybe that's something that will emerge more strongly as I move into the final maps of the episode.

One possible bug I've identified thus far: on E2M6, sector 218 is flagged as secret but an impassable line makes this sector inaccessible, and so it's impossible to get 100% secrets on this map.  I suspect this is a case of an additional sector being drawn adjacent to sector 341 and copying the secret flag from that sector.  The blue armour in sector 218 is close enough to the edge of the sector that the player can pick it up easily even though the sector itself can't be entered.

22 minutes ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

I've been playing through this over the course of the afternoon and evening and the first episode in particular is just lovely, very true to the themes established by the original game without feeling derivative or uninspired.  The second episode doesn't seem to have quite as distinctive a personality but maybe that's something that will emerge more strongly as I move into the final maps of the episode.

One possible bug I've identified thus far: on E2M6, sector 218 is flagged as secret but an impassable line makes this sector inaccessible, and so it's impossible to get 100% secrets on this map.  I suspect this is a case of an additional sector being drawn adjacent to sector 341 and copying the secret flag from that sector.  The blue armour in sector 218 is close enough to the edge of the sector that the player can pick it up easily even though the sector itself can't be entered.

Oh thank god you found it lol. Thanks for pointing it out for us. And thanks for playing the wad and giving us feedback! It's much appreciated.

@Doomed Marine

Thank you for playing it! Glad you're enjoying it!

Ok. I finished the stream and I found even more stuff that needs to be fixed ASAP and Miss Bubbles/Count651 can attest to that :D

Soon I'll post that stream here

I've been fixing some issues that have been pointed out. If anyone has anything else weird they've noticed (getting stuck in places, monsters not teleporting, whatever you can find) please let me know so I can fix them and get an updated version out.

Also working on vanilla compatibility but I'm in a bit over my head here. I don't know the first thing about DeHacked and how to use it. I know there's tutorials but I'm a big dumbo when it comes to editing things outside of Doom mapping. Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually lol.

So we've been testing PrBoom+ and Chocolate Doom with our wad and, obviously, running into several issues. With PrBoom+ it didn't like the PNG graphics as previously pointed out, so I fixed those and now it's happy. It seems like everything runs fine with it now (of course we need a dehacked patch still) but I haven't tested each level to confirm it yet.

With Chocolate Doom, we would get a " Bad V_DrawPatch " error that crashes the game when trying to open the menu. (For example, the wad launches fine, and we can see the TITLEPIC but once you hit any key to open the menu it crashes.) It doesn't seem to like our M_DOOM Graphic, so I tried pulling it out, and it ran fine, except for these weird texture graphic glitches. I have no idea what causes them and they seem arbitrary. Sometimes you'll see it on the same texture, sometimes you won't. Really weird.

Spoiler

1.png.b0fe6e3939fad9ab28da112247ce800a.png

Spoiler

2.png.718e8da25ad41fafe3082722638348b8.png

Spoiler

3.png.db0dadb4834bfd34f7ca9be8e6ff1f51.png

Also, I tried running through a few levels, and got this wonderful message upon entering E3M3. "Too many scrolling wall linedefs! (Vanilla limit is 64)"

Yeah. I think Chocolate Doom is a no-go lol. But I can at least keep fiddling with PrBoom+. I'm in way over my head here though lol. I would just strongly recommend using ZDOOM for the time being. If anyone would like to help me create a dehacked patch so we can get our map names and such working, I would appreciate it very much and pay you in hugs.

In the mean time, I could put out an update with some minor bug fixes, but I'd prefer to wait until we can get a dehacked patch together. :S

Edited by Miss Bubbles

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

Looks like "tutti frutti". See the wiki for explanations and what you should check for fixing it.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tutti-frutti_effect

Oh uhhh, gesundheit.

This sounds like fixing it would be more trouble than it's worth. I mean, it only happens in Chocolate Doom anyway, and we were not working with vanilla limitations in mind. We were just making our maps with aesthetics and gameplay similar to the original game. Thanks for pointing it out though, that definitely seems like the issue.

If you're planning to support PrBoom+, there's one important issue you'll have to get rid of somehow: secret levels. Well, the entrances to them, to be precise.

Since PrBoom+ doesn't support MAPINFO or a similar lump, you can't define which map you'll go to after exiting. So for instance if you have your secret exit in E1M6, the player will exit to E1M9 just fine, but upon leaving the level they will get kicked back to E1M4, just like in vanilla Doom.

18 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

If you're planning to support PrBoom+, there's one important issue you'll have to get rid of somehow: secret levels. Well, the entrances to them, to be precise.

Since PrBoom+ doesn't support MAPINFO or a similar lump, you can't define which map you'll go to after exiting. So for instance if you have your secret exit in E1M6, the player will exit to E1M9 just fine, but upon leaving the level they will get kicked back to E1M4, just like in vanilla Doom.

Really..? I didn't know that lol. All of our secret exits have been changed so that means we would have to cut them out and put new ones in on the levels they would normally appear on. So, that's a big issue and will probably not be changed then. Sorry peeps. :(

Episode 1 playthrough. It's a shame though because it was supposed to have voiceover; however, I pressed the stupid toggle button down my headset's cord. Ah well, subsequent episodes won't make that mistake again.

Played through E1. Lots of fun, really enjoyed it. Lots of bad guys to kill with a good amount of barrel fragging and exploration to be had while maintaining the legendary E1 ethos.  Loved how the secrets varied from easy to hard as fuck, complete with the teasers that were legendary to the original mapset, with some of them here harking back to the legendary secret chains of E1M3, and better yet, some of the secrets here took the experience further and created a full on extra challenge and adventure.  The only disappointment was the secret level, it did not do anything special or unique as compared to the existing maps, and architecturally it was bland compared to the rest of the episode, like an afterthought slap-dashed onto the mapset with a 1st grader's glue stick. Admittedly, I was also slightly disappointed not being able to access that grand outdoor area in E1M7, with some epic secret item and showdown for the reward. But overall, a mad fun and architecturally fantastic E1 episode that captures the charm and everything good about the original E1, complete with some references to the original maps here and there, while creating it's own unique adventure. 

Looking forward to playing E2

Edited by Hells Kitchen

2 hours ago, Hells Kitchen said:

Played through E1. Lots of fun, really enjoyed it. Lots of bad guys to kill with a good amount of barrel fragging and exploration to be had while maintaining the legendary E1 ethos.  Loved how the secrets varied from easy to hard as fuck, complete with the teasers that were legendary to the original mapset, with some of them here harking back to the legendary secret chains of E1M3, and better yet, some of the secrets here took the experience further and created a full on extra challenge and adventure.  The only disappointment was the secret level, it did not do anything special or unique as compared to the existing maps, and architecturally it was bland compared to the rest of the episode, like an afterthought slap-dashed onto the mapset with a 1st grader's glue stick. Admittedly, I was also slightly disappointed not being able to access that grand outdoor area in E1M7, with some epic secret item and showdown for the reward. But overall, a mad fun and architecturally fantastic E1 episode that captures the charm and everything good about the original E1, complete with some references to the original maps here and there, while creating it's own unique adventure. 

Looking forward to playing E2

A 1st grader's glue stick, I lol'd. Thanks for the feedback and glad you liked Episode 1 so much. E1M9 was intentionally made to be like any other level but with the theme of " UAC's secret teleportation research facility " hence the name " Experimental Division. " A sort of a peak behind the curtain at what they're up to on Phobos. I don't really care for gimmicky secret maps too much, so when I created the level I decided that I wanted the player to be rewarded with an entire new level to get to explore, rather than some short gimmick that you're done with in 5 minutes.

I've uploaded a new version to Google Drive today. Once the file goes up on idgames archive, that version will be outdated.

The download link in the OP should be the new version with the updated fixes and changes now.

Here's whats new:

Spoiler

Version 1.1

General

- Fixed PNG graphics
- Minor texture changes/alignments and vertex/linedef adjustments etc. across various levels

E1M5

- Added a nukage pit outside the northeast portion of the map so the monsters won't hug the wall when trying to attack you
- Fixed a ledge in the same area that should have been impassable

E2M5

- Fixed a lift that was tagged as a damaging sector

E2M6

- Fixed an unintentionally marked secret area that was unreachable
- Fixed a lift with imps standing on it that was too small for them to be able to move

E3M6

- Fixed a cacodemon that wasn't teleporting correctly

E3M9

- Fixed some cacodemons that weren't teleporting correctly (fatasses.)

Fuck episode 4. You guys did an amazing job at recreating Thy Flesh Consumed lol. But seriously, I just finished the whole thing and this is pretty damn good.

Also, Quake mappers, I heard?

Spoiler

nGdUjVq.png

;)

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Fuck episode 4. You guys did an amazing job at recreating Thy Flesh Consumed lol. But seriously, I just finished the whole thing and this is pretty damn good.

Reveal hidden contents

nGdUjVq.png

;)

Lol, thanks!

Yup, big fan of Quake. :)

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Reveal hidden contents

nGdUjVq.png

;)

Glad you liked it. Of all the maps in E4 which would you say was the hardest? I feel like I may have started a bit too strongly with E4M1. Also I'd like to apologize for the severe ugliness of E4M5. My design focus was to make an E4 map as if Sandy Petersen had made one. It also, in my opinion, turned out to be the harshest of all the maps.

3 hours ago, Count651 said:

Glad you liked it. Of all the maps in E4 which would you say was the hardest? I feel like I may have started a bit too strongly with E4M1. Also I'd like to apologize for the severe ugliness of E4M5. My design focus was to make an E4 map as if Sandy Petersen had made one. It also, in my opinion, turned out to be the harshest of all the maps.

I can't say for sure as my memory isn't all that great, but I actually thought E4M1 was rather easy in comparison to the rest of the maps. I went through it in HMP without dying once, whilst UDoom's Hell Beaneath still manages to kill me in UV every now and then even after playing the game for more than a decade.

In E1M2*, I was not able to get 100% kills, so I noclipped and I found a lone Shotgunner hiding out of sight in a corner of the soutmost courtyard.

*I meant E1M3, of course.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf