Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Bubbles

Lunar Catastrophe - An Ultimate Doom Megawad (RELEASED!)

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

@Miss BubblesHello. Since I was on a break, was the mapset updated?. Because I'm planning to retake the wad soon to stream it someday...

I've since put out an update fixing some of the issues you ran into in your streams. I've become aware of some others since then. I will probably put out another soon!

I not only finished episode four, I went back and finished the first episode again in EE. I'm not sure if every map is uv-max compatible with EE, but all but e2m6 is completable. I updated my emapinfo with creator tags using the credits section of the readme. I haven't put it on line though.

Anyway, I really enjoy this megawad. It's something I could see replaying now and then. Although E4 did get rather tedious there. Not enough rockets/cells for me, so I had to shotgun/chaingun a lot of barons. Part of that is bad ammo management on my part though. There were part I really enjoyed in the episode though, like that cyberdemon fight in e4m9, and the barons that ported in after the staircase at the end of that one map was really cool. I think E3 was my favorite episode, but that could easily change. Definitely looking forward to further releases of Count651 and Miss Bubbles: Doom, Quake, or other even.

2 hours ago, PaquoCastor said:

I not only finished episode four, I went back and finished the first episode again in EE. I'm not sure if every map is uv-max compatible with EE, but all but e2m6 is completable. I updated my emapinfo with creator tags using the credits section of the readme. I haven't put it on line though.

Anyway, I really enjoy this megawad. It's something I could see replaying now and then. Although E4 did get rather tedious there. Not enough rockets/cells for me, so I had to shotgun/chaingun a lot of barons. Part of that is bad ammo management on my part though. There were part I really enjoyed in the episode though, like that cyberdemon fight in e4m9, and the barons that ported in after the staircase at the end of that one map was really cool. I think E3 was my favorite episode, but that could easily change. Definitely looking forward to further releases of Count651 and Miss Bubbles: Doom, Quake, or other even.

Thanks dude :D Episode 3 is my favorite actually. I think we did a lot of fun and crazy stuff in it!

Cool to see people still making vanilla-style maps. I liked this a lot, it reminded me of DTWID but if the stages were much larger and more creative liberties were taken.

Just finished episodes 1-3, and it all captures the old-school Doom style fantastically! Maps are quite large but still easy enough to find your away around without getting frustrated, and leave you with a satisfied feeling every time. Can't wait to finish episode 4 and for any future projects from you!

If you guys don't mind spoilers... scroll up and watch my final let's play of this WAD. Episode 4, folks! Good, good job in making this you two!

I'm usually not a big fan of Ultimate Doom megawads that stay vanilla because I've played countless of them.

But playing this megawad just feels different - The levels all come together in such a good way, there's some crazy craftsmanship and thought poured into all of the levels.

I'm having a blast, just finished Episode 2. Will get to the rest soon enough.

The lack of custom music is a bit disheartening, do consider at least changing the music in your future mapsets. 

In E2M5, there is a slime pit with two Spectres (at least, in UV) in it. I fell in it, but I am not taking any damage and I seem to be unable to escape.

@ShadesMaster Thanks for playing through the wad, man. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed watching you play through it, and seeing all my sneaky little traps at work! Hopefully E4 wasn't too hard or tedious as I admit I have a bad habit of overusing Hell Barons. Also, since it seems like you didn't notice, e4m9 is actually just e1m1 but completely retextured and slightly redesigned hence the name " Taken ". The idea was that the portion of the UAC facilties that is e1m1 was literally taken by hell and warped into something entirely different.

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

In E2M5, there is a slime pit with two Spectres (at least, in UV) in it. I fell in it, but I am not taking any damage and I seem to be unable to escape.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll have it fixed in the next update.

Francis, My videos were played on ultraviolence, all episodes.

The Count... yeah you're right! With the wall textures changed and the relative gap of time from when I played e1m2 to now, I didn't realize. If it was the original E1M1 by ID, I probably would have - but than again, I've been familiar with THAT start room for decades. ;)

Playing through Episode 3 right now. Still great!

Noticed a bad texture alignment in E3M4, near the Computer Area Map secret, though:

misaligned texture.jpg

There is another corner to the left of where I am looking that also has a badly-aligned texture.

Finally, I am having trouble finding the last secret in E3M4.

I got the Berserk Pack, the Computer Area Map, the secret room in the southmost point of the map, the area that can be accessed by shimming along a ledge over a lava pit and the caged room in the eastern side of the room with the crushing ceilings.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Thanks for pointing out the texture issue! There are quite a few misaligned textures here and there but we do try to catch the ones that look downright awful, like that, so I'll fix it!

As for the secret...

Spoiler

Take a look through the meat-maze again..! Use your computer map if you're having trouble :P

In E3M6, the Yellow Skull Key is a bit difficult to get, as it seems located slightly behind the stone pedestal it is supposedly standing on, and as such I have to really hug the wall in order to pick it up.

In E3M9, there is a Cacodemon that will not activate and come out of its hiding place:

Hidden Cacodemon.jpg

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

45 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

In E3M6, the Yellow Skull Key is a bit difficult to get, as it seems located slightly behind the stone pedestal it is supposedly standing on, and as such I have to really hug the wall in order to pick it up.

In E3M9, there is a Cacodemon that will not activate and come out of its hiding place:

Hide contents

Hidden Cacodemon.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out! And yes, I actually changed the key in E3M6 just yesterday because it was frustrating to pick up. It looked kinda neat but also would appear displaced at times and generally just be annoying to grab.

I have now beaten Episode 3. Pretty good! That Spider Mastermind fight was surprisingly stressful; I died a lot more than I expected to, thought mostly to running out of radiation suits and being unable to get to a medkit in time.

Spotted a small typo in the epilogue screen: "existance"

1 hour ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I have now beaten Episode 3. Pretty good! That Spider Mastermind fight was surprisingly stressful; I died a lot more than I expected to, thought mostly to running out of radiation suits and being unable to get to a medkit in time.

Spotted a small typo in the epilogue screen: "existance"

Glad you like it! I was pretty happy with how the fight turned out lol. Fast and mean! And thanks for pointing out the typo - apparently proofreading it a million times wasn't enough!

1 hour ago, Miss Bubbles said:

apparently proofreading it a million times wasn't enough!

It never is. I missed it when coping, pasting, and reformatting. Not to mention reading the screen after completing the episode.

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

In E3M6, the Yellow Skull Key is a bit difficult to get,

I remember this now. That was annoying; had to straferun into it.

Is E4M5 actually possible on Ultra Violence? I have been playing that level for hours, yet the furthest I have managed to get is the barrel pit trap. :S

16 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Is E4M5 actually possible on Ultra Violence? I have been playing that level for hours, yet the furthest I have managed to get is the barrel pit trap. :S

Yup. It's just very tricky at times lol.

Spoiler

When you get to the barrel pit trap, back up into a corner before you blow them up.

"Tricky"? Ha! That is an understatement. :/

I feel like the first half of this map is just way too difficult, especially given its position in the rotation. I shudder to think what it must be like on pistol start! What is even weirder is that E4M6 is surprisingly easy and chill in comparison, which I would have expected to be the opposite.

While I think Episode 4 is much stronger in terms of level design and polish than Thy Flesh Consumed, it seems to alas suffer from a similarly inconsistent difficulty curve.

In E4M8, in the room with the Soulsphere on top of a pillar, there are lava pools on each side of the room with a fence in front of each.

Somehow, I can go through those fences, which I do not think I am supposed to.

Anyway, I am now done with the megawad. Apart from Episode 4's difficulty, I really liked it and I am definitely looking forward to your take on Doom II!

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf