Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Bubbles

Lunar Catastrophe - An Ultimate Doom Megawad (RELEASED!)

On 1/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, JohnnyTheWolf said:

In E4M8, in the room with the Soulsphere on top of a pillar, there are lava pools on each side of the room with a fence in front of each.

Somehow, I can go through those fences, which I do not think I am supposed to.

Anyway, I am now done with the megawad. Apart from Episode 4's difficulty, I really liked it and I am definitely looking forward to your take on Doom II!

Thanks so much for all of your feedback and pointing out bugs too! You've been a big help!

Edit:

A version 1.2 has been uploaded to Google Drive now.

Here are the changes:

Spoiler

Version 1.2

General

- Fixed a typo in Episode 3 intermission text

E1M3

- Removed a Former Sergeant that was inaccessible.

E1M6

- Fixed radsuits not appearing on Easy or Medium in a secret area.

E2M5

- Fixed a non-damaging sector that should have been damaging.

E2M6

- Fixed secret teleporter linedef again... Should have been repeatable instead

of one time.

E3M6

- Adjusted placement of Yellow Key
- Fixed that damn Cacodemon again because I'm stupid and forgot they can fly.

E3M9

- Fixed Cacodemons not waking up in one area.
- Changed trim texture on start room door to reflect that it requires a blue

key.

E4M3

- Red key placement adjusted so it can't be picked up through the window.

E4M8

- Fixed walls not properly tagged as impassable.

Edited by Miss Bubbles

Thank you for making this megawad!

Sooo... any chances of a Lunar Catastrophe II in the future, or was the "To Be Continued" just for laughs?

4 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Thank you for making this megawad!

Sooo... any chances of a Lunar Catastrophe II in the future, or was the "To Be Continued" just for laughs?

Spoiler

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conf

1 minute ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

You could have just said no there, you know... :/

Count already spilled the beans in another thread. I wasn't teasing you :P. Just playing around. Yes, there will most likely be a sequel. Not for a while though.

Just finished this today. Amazing stuff, very DtWiD-ish, but the maps are bigger and tougher. I did find a bug in E4M8, where the lift drops down to reveal a triangular sector with some ambushing shotgunners in it; if you manage to get into the triangle, there's no way to lower the lift and get out:

LCe4m8stuck.png

On 12/23/2018 at 12:21 PM, Miss Bubbles said:

We've tested and played each map in ZDOOM.

(Players are not intended or expected to use crouching or jumping at any point in this wad, play it as if you would play vanilla Doom!)

Hm, that's insufficient play information for me.

What version of ZDoom? 2.8.1? Or GZDoom (and what version of it too)? Is it the only compatible port?

Also, what compatibility settings are meant to be used? Doom (Strict)?

Just play it in any limit removing sourceport, it should be fine. Just use default or Doom compatibility settings. I don't think compatibility settings matter in the case of our wad. It was mapped in Doom format so there's no advanced editing that'd cause compatibility issues.

16 minutes ago, Count651 said:

Just play it in any limit removing sourceport, it should be fine. Just use default or Doom compatibility settings. I don't think compatibility settings matter in the case of our wad. It was mapped in Doom format so there's no advanced editing that'd cause compatibility issues.

It seemed to run ok in Eternity, but the Lunar part of the tile was partially cut at the top in the menu, and the name of an episode was not aligned like the others.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:04 PM, seed said:

It seemed to run ok in Eternity, but the Lunar part of the tile was partially cut at the top in the menu, and the name of an episode was not aligned like the others.

Also noticed today that the name of the levels does not show up in the automap. They all appear as ExMx: New Level.

Here's a very short clip demonstrating this issue and how the Lunar part of the name is cut at the top. Eternity Engine 4.00.00 (running in 1080p):

Alright, thanks for mentioning that. As to how to fix it I'm afraid I have no idea since I have absolutely no experience with Eternity engine. This issue doesn't occur on any of the ports I've run it in such as zdoom 2.8.1, gzdoom, prboom+. Is eternity engine not able to read the MAPINFO? If not then the secret level entrances could mess up too, since since some secret exits aren't on their original maps.

7 minutes ago, Count651 said:

Alright, thanks for mentioning that. As to how to fix it I'm afraid I have no idea since I have absolutely no experience with Eternity engine. This issue doesn't occur on any of the ports I've run it in such as zdoom 2.8.1, gzdoom, prboom+. Is eternity engine not able to read the MAPINFO? If not then the secret level entrances could mess up too, since since some secret exits aren't on their original maps.

No idea tbh.

Interesting to hear that that problem is not present in PrBoom+. The levels themselves don't appear to show any other problems apart from those mentioned above. Didn't check the secret levels/exits since I never find them.

Perhaps @Altazimuth or @printz have an explanation or something?

We support EMAPINFO for Eternity and are compatible with vanilla Hexen MAPINFO format. No support unfortunately for the ZDoom extensions. 

Meanwhile, I've also ran into a game-breaking bug on E2M6. Nothing I did opened the damn door at the start.

Guess I had finally reached the point where luck has completely run out. And, it's probably safe to mark Eternity as officially unsupported, at least for now (if you decide to add support for it in the future). I'm switching to ZDoom 2.8.1 for the remaining episodes.

Edited by seed

Played the first two Maps and I am impressed so far! Woohoooo!

Thanks for making this!

6 hours ago, Count651 said:

I tried playing it in PrBoom+ -complevel 3, the door in E2M6 doesn't open and the logo looks corrupted.

Perhaps some ZDoomism coming into play?

doom01.png

Fascinating.

So after all the logo isn't screwed only in Eternity (though not as badly as in PrBoom+ it seems), and neither is that map broken only in it.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, Salt-Man Z said:

I did find a bug in E4M8, where the lift drops down to reveal a triangular sector with some ambushing shotgunners in it; if you manage to get into the triangle, there's no way to lower the lift and get out:

@Count651 Linedef is flipped the wrong way, easy fix. E2M6 should be an easy fix, add a lindef between the two vertices in front of the lindef in front of the door and swap properties.

@Miss Bubbles E1M2 has doors that won't open same as above, but it doesn't prevent completion, there is also an untagged lift out of the secret sewer system that won't work outside of ZDoom.

I made some edits of the above maps, but didn't fix the doors on E1M2. There might be other issues, but those are the only ones that I know of.

Since @seed was playing in EE, I updated this. Added creator tags, added map numbers, and hopefully fixed the endtext typo that is fixed in the ZMAPINFO.

So I just finished LC.

Amazing work, although some traps can be infuriating and extremely punishing, particularly in Episode 4. But otherwise, I very much liked this, just wish testing was more rigorous. Although it's supposedly in Doom format, it only works correctly in ZDoom apparently. I think I prefer it over DTWID, and most certainly over UDTWID which was a huge letdown.

Just a heads-up that now I've finished JOM6, I'll be playing this next on my livestream. I'm looking forward to playing this, as it did catch my eye a few weeks back.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, SOSU said:

Pretty kewl megawad :)

On 3/24/2019 at 6:57 PM, Salt-Man Z said:

Just finished this today. Amazing stuff, very DtWiD-ish, but the maps are bigger and tougher. I did find a bug in E4M8, where the lift drops down to reveal a triangular sector with some ambushing shotgunners in it; if you manage to get into the triangle, there's no way to lower the lift and get out:

LCe4m8stuck.png

On 3/29/2019 at 11:35 AM, dylux said:

Played the first two Maps and I am impressed so far! Woohoooo!

Thanks for making this!

On 4/1/2019 at 11:07 AM, seed said:

So I just finished LC.

Amazing work, although some traps can be infuriating and extremely punishing, particularly in Episode 4. But otherwise, I very much liked this, just wish testing was more rigorous. Although it's supposedly in Doom format, it only works correctly in ZDoom apparently. I think I prefer it over DTWID, and most certainly over UDTWID which was a huge letdown.

20 hours ago, Suitepee said:

Just a heads-up that now I've finished JOM6, I'll be playing this next on my livestream. I'm looking forward to playing this, as it did catch my eye a few weeks back.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and for playing our wad. We really appreciate it! I'll be looking into the map bugs posted and see about releasing an update soon. I appreciate having these issues brought to my attention so that I can fix them :)

I look forward to seeing your stream Suitepee! I hope you enjoy it!

17 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407241152 = part 1. (covering E1 and E2)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/407720854 = part 2. (E3)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408180719 = part 3. (E4)

Very Cacoward worthy in my opinion.

Thanks so much for streaming our wad, it was very enjoyable to watch you play and I had a blast answering questions about the design process!

I finally got around to this after having played just a few of the first episode originally. This time I couldn't put it down. Overall it's excellent. I love the secrets throughout. I usually got in the 60-70% range, though I only found one secret level. I love the clear influence from Doom maps, even one-to-one allusions most of the way through, yet everything was its own. Difficulty was good. I played pistol starts on Ultra-Violence. I will say it was a little bit grindy with pistol starts - a lot more shotgunning barons than I'd like, especially in E4. E4 definitely had some brutal moments, but it was easily my least favorite. It seemed like I was constantly shotgunning barons in damaging floor while sergeants teleported. E4M2 was pretty disappointing to me actually, given my love for Perfect Hatred. I thought E3 was outstanding though.

A favorite from each episode: E1M4, E2M5or6 - can't decide, E3M2, E4M4.

17 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I finally got around to this after having played just a few of the first episode originally. This time I couldn't put it down. Overall it's excellent. I love the secrets throughout. I usually got in the 60-70% range, though I only found one secret level. I love the clear influence from Doom maps, even one-to-one allusions most of the way through, yet everything was its own. Difficulty was good. I played pistol starts on Ultra-Violence. I will say it was a little bit grindy with pistol starts - a lot more shotgunning barons than I'd like, especially in E4. E4 definitely had some brutal moments, but it was easily my least favorite. It seemed like I was constantly shotgunning barons in damaging floor while sergeants teleported. E4M2 was pretty disappointing to me actually, given my love for Perfect Hatred. I thought E3 was outstanding though.

A favorite from each episode: E1M4, E2M5or6 - can't decide, E3M2, E4M4.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I'm glad to hear you liked it! E4M2 is a bit of an odd one, something I had made before the wad was conceptualized and decided to update and include. Definitely not inspired by Perfect Hatred, and quite a bit easier than our E4M1. There's a couple levels in the wad overall that I felt weren't quite on par with the rest of our maps, but oh well, not every map will be amazing haha :P

E1M4 is one of my favorites that I did in Episode 1 so I'm glad to hear you liked it too!!

Edit: Oh I forgot to ask! What made you love the secrets? Secrets are always interesting to talk about. Lots of people have differing opinions over proper secret usage so hearing you say that you loved them makes me think we did something right :P

Edited by Miss Bubbles