Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Bubbles

Lunar Catastrophe - An Ultimate Doom Megawad (RELEASED!)

I will play your wad because it's an excellent tribute to the original game , maybe I will stream someday. :)

Edited by Roofi

On 6/24/2019 at 10:56 AM, Super Mighty G said:

Screens are looking very solid. Has a real classic design vibe. Would like to stream it maybe this weekend.

9 hours ago, Roofi said:

I will play your wad because it's an excellent tribute to the original game , maybe I will stream someday. :)

Thanks! I hope you both enjoy it :)

8 hours ago, franckFRAG said:

Played the first episode a few days ago, very excellent! 

Thanks so much :D!

This WAD fuckin rooooooocks. I love how it perfectly replicates the feel of the original DOOM episodes while being original. I've already beat episode 1 and 2, looking forward to episodes 3 and 4.

Cant for the life of me get Lunar to run.
I've tried GZ doom latest version and zanundrum, it just goes to the doom 2 start game.
Any ideas?
Thanks

21 minutes ago, spottydog10 said:

Cant for the life of me get Lunar to run.
I've tried GZ doom latest version and zanundrum, it just goes to the doom 2 start game.
Any ideas?
Thanks

It's for Ultimate Doom, not Doom 2.

Great stuff.  Feels like Doom, with some great nods to maps, without feeling like a copy job.  Only on map E1M5, but also played M1 of each other mission to see how you handled the themes.  Love it.  Will be working my way through this for sure

10 minutes ago, spaztacus said:

Great stuff.  Feels like Doom, with some great nods to maps, without feeling like a copy job.  Only on map E1M5, but also played M1 of each other mission to see how you handled the themes.  Love it.  Will be working my way through this for sure

16 hours ago, Demon of the Well said:

~All dem words~

Wow that was quite the write up! I love when people offer up their opinion and really dissect what we were doing; it's a super rewarding feeling when someone gets it down to the little details and ideas we were going for beyond the surface of just classic inspired levels.

In hindsight I can't help but agree with your criticisms about some of the blandness of Episode 1. Lunar was a huge learning process for us and we stumbled a few times along the way, coming into a more defined style later on with some of the last maps we did and I think it certainly shows. I've been designing levels for a LONG time and 90% of my work has been scrapped or unreleased. Doom mapping is something relatively new to me (I've been dabbling in it for about 3 years now) and a project of this size was a first for us both. As it gathered momentum and began to look like we seriously had something that was not only worth releasing, but was going to be released, we realized that we had to see this thing through to the end, which meant having to cut the cord at some point and release it into the wild. There were plenty of times where I had gone back and altered things in my own levels; for instance, Episode 1 had a lot more health at one point, and I went back multiple times to tone it down, and yet there is still more than enough if you know what you're doing or are good at finding secrets.

My point being, I would have loved to iterate and redesign things until I felt it was absolutely perfect, but ignoring the fact that a major part of the wad was capturing that imperfection of the original game, you eventually just have to accept what you've got and call it a day. Could I have reworked things until they were, in my opinion, flawless? Maybe, but going back to what I said earlier, I have been mapping for a looong time, and have very little to show for it, because I become obsessed with chasing that perfection. Lunar was an important milestone for me in that I actually set goals and met them, and released a project. I am very proud of myself for that and Count and I had a blast working together on it. Tangent over! :P

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your write up and found myself agreeing with a lot of your points and observations. We are definitely takings notes both from our own thoughts and discussions of what we can improve upon and what people have been saying here in this thread to carry with us as we design levels for the sequel.

I like your thought about the placement of the secret levels. At one point we had considered putting Taken into Episode 3, but felt that it served as a nice little bookend to the wad to take you back to the start of it all. However there's definitely a point to be made that it would have felt more at home in Episode 3.

Good point about the music changing as well! We're looking into custom music for our sequel, but if it doesn't pan out we'll probably change the placement of songs around for the very reason you mentioned.

Again, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I absolutely love reading what people have to say about our work! :)

Just wanted to post to report a couple of bugs.

-On E2M6, if you are playing strict vanilla compatibility mode, you will not be able to open the door to leave the start room. Because Linedef 26 and linedef 21 are only 16 units apart, you cannot open the door through the W1 trigger line that is in front of it. There is a setting in GZDoom for this though. I just mention it for the sake of thoroughness.

-On E1M5, it is possible to create a small HOM on linedef 910 by hitting linedef 842 twice. The first time you hit it, it raises the floor of sector 0 up to the floor level of sector 171. If you hit the switch again, it raises the floor level of sector 0 up again to the floor height of sector 186, thereby revealing the back of line 910 above the floor height of sector 171. Soz if this explanation doesn't make sense, it will if you hit the switch at linedef 842 twice.

-E2M9 Sector 85 needs the damage tag removed. (At least I assume it needs removing.)

Minor bugs aside, this mapset is amazing, I love playing through classic Doom 1 megawads, and was thrilled to discover this megawad just in the last week. Definitely in my top ten favorite wads ever. AND STILL TWO MORE EPISODES TO GO! Yisss!

Thanks so much for your work. Much appreciated. 

Edited by bLOCKbOYgAMES

9 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Just wanted to post to report a couple of bugs.

-On E2M6, if you are playing strict vanilla compatibility mode, you will not be able to open the door to leave the start room. Because Linedef 26 and linedef 21 are only 16 units apart, you cannot open the door through the W1 trigger line that is in front of it. There is a setting in GZDoom for this though. I just mention it for the sake of thoroughness.

-On E1M5, it is possible to create a small HOM on linedef 910 by hitting linedef 842 twice. The first time you hit it, it raises the floor of sector 0 up to the floor level of sector 171. If you hit the switch again, it raises the floor level of sector 0 up again to the floor height of sector 186, thereby revealing the back of line 910 above the floor height of sector 171. Soz if this explanation doesn't make sense, it will if you hit the switch at linedef 842 twice.

-E2M9 Sector 85 needs the damage tag removed. (At least I assume it needs removing.)

Minor bugs aside, this mapset is amazing, I love playing through classic Doom 1 megawads, and was thrilled to discover this megawad just in the last week. Definitely in my top ten favorite wads ever. AND STILL TWO MORE EPISODES TO GO! Yisss!

Thanks so much for your work. Much appreciated. 

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. I believe a couple of these had been mentioned before in the past by other users, but unfortunately slipped past me when I was hunting for bugs to fix. I'll have to read back through this thread and see if there's enough issues to warrant a new version. Of course the ones you mentioned are what I would consider to be enough, but also not totally problematic... except for the door issue on E2M6 lol.

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

13 hours ago, Miss Bubbles said:

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. I believe a couple of these had been mentioned before in the past by other users, but unfortunately slipped past me when I was hunting for bugs to fix. I'll have to read back through this thread and see if there's enough issues to warrant a new version. Of course the ones you mentioned are what I would consider to be enough, but also not totally problematic... except for the door issue on E2M6 lol.

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Please don't go to any trouble lol. If I find any more I will post. So so so enjoying this wad. 

I trust you are aware of just how many Cacoward nominations this little project has generated? Thoroughly deserved too I might add. Wonderful work! Thank you again.

4 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Please don't go to any trouble lol. If I find any more I will post. So so so enjoying this wad. 

I trust you are aware of just how many Cacoward nominations this little project has generated? Thoroughly deserved too I might add. Wonderful work! Thank you again.

Thanks! Any more bugs brought to my attention is much appreciated.

I have been keeping an eye on the nominations! :D

I am blown away by the response we've been getting and each time someone has nominated us it feels amazing. Doom has a special place in my heart and it's a fantastic feeling knowing that what we've created; essentially a love letter to the original game, has resonated with so many people for that very reason. :)

I think this wad actually BEATS DTWID.....I sure hope the sequel is no letdown! Maybe a SIGIL tribute too now...? Which already becomes sometimes as tough as E4M5 here in UV pistol start...

1 hour ago, FrancisT18 said:

I think this wad actually BEATS DTWID.....I sure hope the sequel is no letdown! Maybe a SIGIL tribute too now...? Which already becomes sometimes as tough as E4M5 here in UV pistol start...

Haha that's very kind of you to say :D DTWID was a big inspiration and I love what they did - there are a lot of fantastic maps in that wad! I don't know about a SIGIL tribute :P - but I will say that Count and I very much enjoy working together and I highly doubt that our sequel wad will be the final project we collaborate on, but that's getting way ahead of ourselves! For now we're just slowly working on our Doom 2 Maps and seeing how things shape up. :)

Classic aesthetic is my jam. Downloading this and will give it a try in the near future!

Since this aims to stick to vanilla aesthetics as much as possible, I felt curious about how it would look with an "updated-vanilla" series of add-ons:

m4ds.png.48286e33378973aef48401dea84fc36b.png

(please ignore Bolognese)

Only Neural Upscale seemed to cause issues, which is why it's not included. At first glance, everything looks consistent enough except the skybox. Should I expect any significant mismatch further in?

The sky textures in our wad are completely unmodified so if you're having any issues with them then it must be something regarding one of the above mods. Can't say I'm familiar with any of the mods you listed so I won't be able to provide much help in the matter.

Oh no, no issues at all: just that the skybox was replaced. The rest of the game looks very similar, just in higher resolution. The mods are as follows:

• The AltDHTP vanilla texture pack with its corresponding Brightmaps and Liquidpatch.
  • The fullscreen HUD mod.
  • An add-on to the Neural Upscale 2X mod with extra frames of animation for the vanilla weapons.
  • Updated vanilla music.
  • Updated vanilla SFX.
  • The bolognese gore mod.

Here's an altered/unaltered comparison:

Modified.png.983be4f440049fc0926c89a71799f8cd.pngUnmodified.png.2a40816e33afd3f118d8e34a8848fd47.png

Come to think about it, the fullscreen HUD mod is redundant.

Stopping after E1M6 to write this!

Wow, this is old-school and I love it! I haven't had this much fun with a doom1 wad in awhile. Ep1 has been awesome so far, I can't wait to finish this over the weekend. Congrats to both of you!

This megawad is meant to replicate the old-school Doom experience, yet when I play it on Crispy Doom (both 5.1 & 5.6.3), E1M8 sectors can't lower due to barrels preventing them from doing so, being softlocked & E2M7, where you shoot the UAC logo texture with the candle on the floor, the entire level just breaks itself.

Voids, HOMs, glitches... it becomes unbeatable.

I checked the text file & you guys tested it only with ZDOOM, so I'm really not surprised these things happen. This "old-school experience" should be tested on source ports that have limitations for the "ultimate classic doom experience" or at the very least, Crispy Doom to avoid potential visplane overflow.

Oh & one more thing. Secret exit in map 4 doesn't work because after you beat the secret level, you have to play map 4 for the second time. You don't continue into map 5.

The megawad is intended to be played in ZDoom, and the mappers have always been up front about that. Playing in any other port will also screw up the sequence of maps because of the way vanilla handles secret maps, iirc. "Old-school experience" does not necessarily mean "vanilla-compatible." As with anything else, just play it in the intended port.

Pretty much what Not Jabba said. This wad's goal was to emulate Id's original mapping style but with our own touches. At no point point was it ever advertised or intended to be a vanilla compatible wad on a technical level.

I'd just like to add further on to what Not Jabba and Count have said... unless I am mistaken, it seems the biggest offender for breaking vanilla compatibility was the decision to change the secret level exits from their original map slots. I have no intention of altering this.