Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Bubbles

Lunar Catastrophe - An Ultimate Doom Megawad (RELEASED!)

On 12/10/2019 at 6:54 AM, The_SloVinator said:

I'd love to see the vanilla version as it is a classic theme style but it is what it is. Thanks for the answer.

Maybe petition your favourite limit-removing retro port author(s) to add UMAPINFO support? If they do that, getting LC to work in it should be pretty trivial.

11 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Maybe petition your favourite limit-removing retro port author(s) to add UMAPINFO support? If they do that, getting LC to work in it should be pretty trivial.

It's fine. Answers is all I wanted. It's all good.

It plays "mostly fine" in EE with my patch, but e2m6 won't work without modifying the start room (I have a private modification myself) or using noclip. There are similar issues with e1m2, but it can still be completed. I can't tell you if all maps can be 100%'d in EE though, I never looked over this with a fine-tooth comb.

I was working on a umapinfo at the time, but decided emapinfo instead, because EE. If anyone wants, I could give it a shot. Although what I'd love is someone to uv-max test this wad completely to get a list of everything that doesn't work in strict ports. Then we could potentially make a prboom compat version (umapinfo branch ofc.)

Heh, just noticed a typo in the emapinfo lump. It doesn't matter though.

Can somebody please explain to me how this fantastic game didn't win a Cacoward? And how a ridiculous game like Hocus Pocus Doom did??!?!? The 2019 Cacowards' list is a joke. 

I don't agree with Cacowards going out to WADS that are just one single map (like Verdant Citadel) or WADS that are all "modded up" (aka Total or partial conversions). They should have a category for One Map WADS and another one for the TC's. TC's, in my opinion aren't real DOOM wads, anyway.

Lunar Catastrophe is what DOOM is all about, especially it being an Ultimate DOOM WAD. It didn't need new weapons nor new monsters to make it a great game. It's game play made this WAD a great WAD. This game was consistently fun throughout EVERY single map. This was a full 32 map Megawad based on the real deal - DOOM. If THIS WAD didn't deserve to win a Cacoward, then no WAD did.

Lunar Catastrophe was robbed. Deserves more than Runner-up.

Edited by dylux

I really hope you guys are working on another pwad. I've played through Lunar 3 or 4 times at this point, still my favourite doom1 megawad by far. Your secrets make me smile ;D

On 8/28/2020 at 9:08 PM, Angelwitch said:

I really hope you guys are working on another pwad. I've played through Lunar 3 or 4 times at this point, still my favourite doom1 megawad by far. Your secrets make me smile ;D

Hey thanks, that's really flattering! I'm glad you're liking it so much.

Although we fully intend to some day finish our sequel wad, we have taken a bit of a hiatus from that. Life and it's various distractions have gotten in the way lately unfortunately, but we'll always come back to Doom sooner or later. :)

2 hours ago, Miss Bubbles said:

Hey thanks, that's really flattering! I'm glad you're liking it so much.

Although we fully intend to some day finish our sequel wad, we have taken a bit of a hiatus from that. Life and it's various distractions have gotten in the way lately unfortunately, but we'll always come back to Doom sooner or later. :)

Lies

On 9/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, painelemental667 said:

I gave it a try. Good to see some Ultimate Doom megawads. I played Episode 1 and Episode 2 today and i enjoyed so far. Well designed levels. Good classic style wad.

Doom: Lunar Catastrophe - Episode1 & Episode2 (Part1) - UV First Playthrough

Hey thanks! Sorry I forgot to respond sooner. I appreciate your comments, I'm glad you liked it! It's always awesome to see people playing through our maps!

Not sure if the authors are still around, but I seem to be facing a weird issue in E1M7 where it does not seem possible to leave the secret Soulsphere area from inside if I enter it a second time. The first time I get in, I can interact with the wall and get it to open from inside no problem, but on my second visit, that wall will not open. I find myself having no choice but noclip my way out as a result.

Edited by Rudolph

22 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Not sure if the authors are still around, but I seem to be facing a weird issue in E1M7 whereas it does not seem possible to leave the secret Soulsphere area from inside if I enter it a second time. The first time I get in, I can interact the wall and get it to open from inside no problem, but on my second visit, that wall will not open. I find myself having no choice but noclip my way out as a result.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I want to say that my thinking was you could attempt to enter the secret as many times as it takes (to notice it or what have you) but once you've re-opened the door from the inside, it should stay open. I guess it didn't work as intended, and in all honesty it's been a while since I've done any Doom mapping so I'd have to double check the linedef functionalities.

Hey, it is fine! This is a forum after all, not an instant messaging app. ;)

If anything, I feel bad re-reading my own post: I must have been distracted or just tired, because it comes across as bit gibberish. :P

Oh, and while I am at it, in E2M7, I noticed I can go through a fenced-off opening and I do not know if I am supposed to be able to.

The fence in question.jpg

The fence's location.jpg

I'm playing through this for the third or fourth time, and I must say it's a pretty good set of levels.  Like playing Ultimate Doom all over over again.

Damnit. All of a sudden, I keep experiencing all sorts of (thankfully minor) issues with this mapset.

So in E3M3, when I get to the exit, if I take the teleporter that sends me back to the starting area instead, I find myself stuck in a closed room where I can see through the wall but I cannot get out of it without noclip.

Broken Starting Point.jpg

On to Episode 4! The first level is quite brutal, even more so than "Hell Beneath"...

Speaking of the latter, I notice that Episode 4 maps all use the default level titles rather than their custom ones.