Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VanaheimRanger

Bloodloss Lost Maps Release

I seriously enjoyed that though, especially the wall-less maze in map 2.

Spoiler

I thought I was safe, but then Archvile...

edit: had to play through again, I had the music volume turned off because I listen to other stuff while gaming/mapping and the music is amazing, I love that sound, a bit of guitar, some light percussion, and tasteful amounts of piano that remind me of my old psr175 before it broke.

Edited by wolfmcbeard

4 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I seriously enjoyed that though, especially the wall-less maze in map 2.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought I was safe, but then Archvile...

edit: had to play through again, I had the music volume turned off because I listen to other stuff while gaming/mapping and the music is amazing, I love that sound, a bit of guitar, some light percussion, and tasteful amounts of piano that remind me of my old psr175 before it broke.

If you like the music you should check out Dial-Up for Murder.  It's all his:

https://dialupformurder.bandcamp.com/music

His DW name is @Jimes he makes pretty nice stuff.  All the songs I used are from his Midi Dreams and MIDI Nightmares albums on that page.  He encourages people to use them in their WADs and makes some custom stuff for Doom mappers as well.

Congrats on the release! They look better than ever. When I get myself reorganized and back to my regular PC usage I'll give these a play.

3 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Congrats on the release! They look better than ever. When I get myself reorganized and back to my regular PC usage I'll give these a play.

Awesome.  I just realized I credited you with ACS even though I didn't end up using your healpool script in the end.  Hope that's fine.  It was hard to decide on the script or the negative damage sector.  The main difference I noticed is the negative damage sector is silent where your script actually makes a healing sound effect.  I decided to go with the negative damage because it was just simpler in the end.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:35 PM, Nevander said:

Removing the sound is very easy to do, it's just one line. Does the negative damage stop at 100?

Yes it does.  The sound didn't bother me.  I actually prefer it.  Like I said, I used what I did because it was just simpler to implement.  I may still use the script when I come back to UDMF.  Currently I'm looking for viable ways to do healing sectors in boom format, lol.

My first attempt with voodoo doll failed horribly

Edited by guitardz

I wonder how the negative damaging effect knows to stop at 100. A normal damaging effect goes from 199 to 0, you'd think a healing one would go from 2 to 200.

21 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I wonder how the negative damaging effect knows to stop at 100. A normal damaging effect goes from 199 to 0, you'd think a healing one would go from 2 to 200.

Hmm, good question, I guess someone thought of that when they were coding something at some point.

7 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Makes me wonder if there's a way to do health stations like Half Life had...

I've thought about this as well.  In Boom maybe a voodoo doll with stimpacks on a conveyor belt and a switch you hit to drop a blocking wall so it can reach him.  But that would only work once...

In UDMF...notafuckingclue...probably possible with ACS, though.

EDIT: Or in boom, maybe the blocking wall only drops for long enough to let one stimpack through then goes back up.  Then you could feasably have an infinitely long line of stimpacks each at the press of a button!  Of course you would need a series of blocking walls, and all of them with the same tag.

5 minutes ago, guitardz said:

In UDMF...notafuckingclue...probably possible with ACS, though.

Ah, ACS, or as I like to call it iainttouchingthatshit.
Something I'll have to screw with in my spare time, if I do figure it out, I'll be surprised.

Edit: maybe have a polyobject floor or something that moves away when you activate a switch and puts you in a healing sector below the polyobject floor, when the switch deactivates the floor moves back to stop healing...I have no idea if that would work though.

That's why I love UDMF so much now. No need to fudge with conveyors, voodoo dolls or other such hackery. Directly script your events with ACS. I doubted my ability to learn and use it at first, but much to my surprise it's very simple with some basic programming knowledge at a minimum.

50 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Makes me wonder if there's a way to do health stations like Half Life had...

Yes! My approach would be a line action to start a script. This script starts a loop and checks if they are still holding USE key right after being activated. If the condition passes, each iteration of the loop gives 5 HP or whatever your desired amount is and starts a sound effect or whatever else. Then when the player lets go of use, the loop ends and the script terminates.

To prevent infinite use, you could keep track of the amount of health it's supplied in a variable and then add another check for that variable's value. If it's too high, deny the script from running and add a "depleted" sound effect when used.

Edited by Nevander : Better way for script

29 minutes ago, Nevander said:

That's why I love UDMF so much now. No need to fudge with conveyors, voodoo dolls or other such hackery. Directly script your events with ACS. I doubted my ability to learn and use it at first, but much to my surprise it's very simple with some basic programming knowledge at a minimum.

Yes! My approach would be a line action to start a script. This script starts a loop and checks if they are still holding USE key right after being activated. If the condition passes, each iteration of the loop gives 5 HP or whatever your desired amount is and starts a sound effect or whatever else. Then when the player lets go of use, the loop ends and the script terminates.

To prevent infinite use, you could keep track of the amount of health it's supplied in a variable and then add another check for that variable's value. If it's too high, deny the script from running and add a "depleted" sound effect when used.

I don't even have basic programming skills so I'm glad to have people around like you to help and give tips :)

@Nevander gods man, I wish I could actually figure that out.
The one attempt at ACS I made was to replace the pump action with a machine gun...not only did it not work, but fists vanished as well.

5 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

@Nevander gods man, I wish I could actually figure that out.
The one attempt at ACS I made was to replace the pump action with a machine gun...not only did it not work, but fists vanished as well.

That sounds like something to do with Decorate instead of ACS.  I made a couple of simple thing count scripts for a couple of fights in MAP02 of this wad, but they were mostly copy paste from the zdoom wiki with a few edits.

9 minutes ago, guitardz said:

That sounds like something to do with Decorate instead of ACS.

I think you might be right, I can't find that wad where that happened so I may have deleted it, it was an interesting one too, but I think I broke it beyond repair.